Dj's United

Mcps-prs Alliance Pro Dub License.

1) Is this licence in addition to the exsisting digital license? I assume it is, but can some one confirm.

I've had a quick look and found this:

2.2 This Licence does not cover the public performance of Repertoire Works or

PPL Sound Recordings. Separate Licences are required from the Performing Right

Society Limited and PPL for this activity.

I'm no legal expert, but it could be interpreted (I guess) that the Digital DJ Licence may indeed be required?!

PPL is still selling the DDJL. :rolleyes:

Perhaps Gary will confirm, or you could ask direct question via the email posted by Vinnie ( info@produb.co.uk )

What about a Payment Plan??

From my brief look, there does not appear to be a Payment instalment plan.

I'm sure the MCPS-PRS and PPL will exchange / access same database information, so in time, those that require one licence, may end up having to buy the other, or will be notified for sure!

I'm going to wait until the 1st July to see what the end licence result will be.

Edited by Dukesy
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Music collection companies talk and work with their counterparts in other countries, especially Europe.

The UK has a habit of setting a trend....LOL!

Oh - Ok

Well Greece is well behind and dont thing they like the EU business and the likes

I wont worry then.

If i was still in the UK, I still wouldnt worry, Sounds like a load of old tripe to me.

Dont believe they'll be able to enforce it anyways.

What about a Payment Plan??

For some it might not be as easy to find £xxx in one hit. I consider that a bit unfair to be honest.

The nearest to that is a credit card payment.

There are a few things that worry me :-

“Term” means the period of 12 months from the date your Licence is granted.

2.1 In consideration for your payment of the Licence Fee to us, and subject to

the limitations and restrictions set out below, we grant you a non-exclusive

licence during the Term and in the United Kingdom to make Copies of Repertoire

Works and/or PPL Sound Recordings for the sole purpose of you providing the

Service, providing that such Repertoire Works and/or PPL Sound Recordings

have been legally obtained by you, and providing that the number of Copies

does not exceed the Permitted Number of Copies.

So that means no rollover for credits you haven't used.

4.2 This Licence covers the copying of Repertoire Works and PPL Sound

Recordings for use by you as part of the Service but, for the avoidance of doubt

does not license the Service in respect of:

(a) the public performance, communication to the public or any other

transmission of whatsoever nature of any Repertoire Works and/or PPL

Sound Recordings; and

(b) copying any Repertoire Works and/or PPL Sound Recordings for the

purposes of any use online or by means of the internet.

Doesn't that meen that if for instance you have a pup residency, you can't use your copy there?

and :-

9.5 If a court or administrative organisation with competent jurisdiction

decides that a paragraph in these terms and conditions is not valid this will not

affect the rest of these terms and conditions. The parties acting reasonably will

try to agree on a suitable paragraph to replace the one which is not valid. The

new paragraph should, as far as possible, achieve the same economic, legal and

commercial aims of the invalid one.

I was under the belief that if any clause in a contract was unlawfull then the whole contract becomes void, also how can you agree to a contract that may be altered?

Isn't it like signing a piece of paper that says you will agree to whatever they want?

One other point they cannot decide whether it is a licence or license.

Jim

i've just read on another forum that you can roll over unused credits

i.e if you purchase 20000 credits for year 1 and use 15000

then in year 2 you need to purchase the minimum which is £250 for 5000 then you will have 10000 credited to you.

Edited by andyw

i've just read on another forum that you can roll over unused credits BUT you will still have to purchase a license for the secound year anyway for them to count.

...unless a new lower minimum price band is introduced - eg: £100 for 1500 tracks (example only).

If not, I'll probably buy the initial license to legalise all the rips I've already prepared, and the 1000+ tracks which I'll be buying over the next 12 months, then for the year after that, I'll probably not buy the license, just use that years tracks off of CD - I dont mind browsing through just 50 ish CDs (about a years worth) manually, without ripping them - then the year after, buy a license to cover me for all the dubbing for the year past, and the year ahead... ad infinitum.

Edited by Gary

I saw that too but something else I don't like is that by taking out a licence you are also giving up some of your rights. The PRS/MCPS have no statute rights to inspect your equipment (hard drive and equipment used for playback) but by taking out the licence you give them the right to do so.

I use a laptop and what is on there is none of their business.

I'm glad that I haven't bought a dedicated HDC because I'm going back to just using CD's. The licence fee will be a nice contribution to a new set of decks.

Gary... If you have any contacts at the MCPS or PPL could you not ask if they have a person who could come on the forum and answer some of the above questions. As greatfull as I am sure we all are to you taking this task on.

Nik