Dj's United

Which Is Best Speaker System For Dj's

Gentlemen and ladies

your thoughts please, which is better, do you buy?

Mackie SRM450 V2

or this

Behringer B815NEO

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757

Difficult one. I asked a similar question a week or so ago in relation to active speakers. Personally, I don't like the Mackies, I think they sound very harsh in close proximity, plus the whole overheating problem on the Mk1's put me off, and the fact that from reading various Musicians Forums, it seems the Chinese built models these days aren't a patch on the previous model which used RCF drivers and were assembled in Italy. More signs of cost cutting in manufacturing I guess.

My next choice was going to be the new Behringer Neo's, however resident techie bloke Superstar DJ put me off those, as he stated that Behringer were the worst active speakers for build quality and reliability etc and he should know, as repairing sound and lighting equipment is his bread and butter. I don't want an expensive pile of chinese built tat, thanks - I've already owned a pair of Bose L1's :wacko:

Personally, I've opted to go with the QSC K12's, they are significantly more expensive than the Mackies and Behringer, but 12" cabs putting out 1000W RMS each from a 12" driver based cab not much larger than my EV SX300's is worth the extra few ££££ in my situation. Plus i've owned several bits of gear carrying the QSC badge and its all been reliable and a good workhorse.

Sound, like everything else is a personal thing, so its wise to actually demo or better still, actually hire a pair of speakers first and use them in an everyday example of the type of work you'll be doing with them in order to make an informed choice. There is no such thing as the perfect or best speaker in our line of work, just the speaker which is best for YOU and YOUR application. :D

Here was my 'active' thread, if its of any interest http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26767

My next choice was going to be the new Behringer Neo's, however resident techie bloke Superstar DJ put me off those, as he stated that Behringer were the worst active speakers for build quality and reliability etc and he should know, as repairing sound and lighting equipment is his bread and butter.

Here was my 'active' thread, if its of any interest http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26767

I couldn't disagree more concerning build quality and reliability, especially when taking price into the equation. Around 18 months ago I purchased a couple of pairs of Behringer EP215As for my 'budget' hires, my intention was to dispose of them just before the warranty period expired. However, after 11 months of dry hire, to all and sundry, the Behringer speakers had performed faultlessly, not even one incident between them, so much so, I kept them on for another 7 months of flawless service. The only issue with them was they sounded a little 'bright'n for my taste, but it made upselling a sub to customers very easy, especially when I EQ'd them a bit 'thin' for the demo. :Thumbup: I recently disposed of them for £250 a pair, the purchase price was £350, making the cost of ownership around £1.50 a week, per pair!! The only reason I sold them, was the price of Mackie 450 V2s, in excellent condition, had reached the point where a similar cost of ownership was attainable, and I could upgrade my budget systems to a market beating standard

Edited by disco4hire

New Site Clouds Disco

Thanks guys, keep it coming, I have had a pair of Machie SRM450's for 3 years, one repaired soon after I got it due to over heating, but since then no more problems, I like them and they serve me well, but was wondering just how long to keep them or like a car sell them on and get new. I like the light weight, 18kg. I have back problems with lifting heavy weights so ideal for me weight wise. I saw the Behringer's on Thomenn's website thomann23kg each. 15inch not 12 inch.

www.swingcats.co.uk

Sorry should have been the 12 inch one

£319 each from Thomann 19kg weight.

Edited by Swingcats

www.swingcats.co.uk

If you can stretch another 80 pounds per cab the RCF 312's are now available from a number of retailers for 400 pounds, far superior to the behringers I would imagine clicky

160 pounds over the lifetime of speakers is nothing IMO and you'e be getting real quality kit.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

The only good thing about owning Mackies IMO is that they either hold a very good resale value or the people looking for them don't bother to shop around for prices and have money to burn

I often see second hand Mackies, with a good few years on their clocks, fetching £650 - £700+ a pair on Fleabay, yet they can occasionally be bought for £699 a pair as new, with a full 12 month warranty on 'Why Buy New'

http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/Mackie-SRM450-A...e-Speakers.html

Sure, they are currently out of stock at this moment in time but they have been in stock at several times during the last few months. Personally i'd be willing to wait around and sit it out for a few months until they appear in stock again and get the security of a warranty rather than take my chances paying more for 'sold as seen' units from the second hand market.

I don't think it will be long before the Behringer Neo's appear on the same site either, they used to shift the earlier B215A models for £329.00 a pair - which at the time I was buying was the best price in the UK :D

http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/Behringer-B215A...e-Speakers.html

I have owned both Mackie SRM 450's and RCF speakers.

Mackies are good all round DJ active speakers and are built well. They must not be pushed too hard as they can be prone to overheating. They also hold their value well as long as they are in good condition.

RCF are much better quality and I agree that the 312's would be a great buy.

RCF are much better quality and I agree that the 312's would be a great buy

Assuming 350W would be enough output power for the OP's application.

• 3 weeks later...

Buy a sub for the ocasional gig where you need it whether it's the SRM or RCF's.

Well the Mackies sound better in my opinion but the the company is on the ropes at the moment and have been in financial difficulty for a while so the company could very well go bust in the next few years meaning you can kiss goodby to support or spare parts or repair un warranty so i'd say go with Behringer. Although better than that i'd personally rather save up more money and get myself a pair of RCF Art 325A or second hand QSC HPR152i.

• 2 months later...

Well,still not commited to buying yet, but with VAT etc on the rise it's now or never, leaning towards the RCF Speakers, but not liking the price of their subs, any one got a good sub recomendation in the mid price range?

www.swingcats.co.uk

Well,still not commited to buying yet, but with VAT etc on the rise it's now or never, leaning towards the RCF Speakers, but not liking the price of their subs, any one got a good sub recomendation in the mid price range?

Try to get one second hand, new subs are expensive unfortunately, many people swear by the RCF 705's, DB Technologies also do a range of subs which would have a similar output to the RCF but are cheaper. Thomann also do some which are much cheaper again, and if you are only using them rarely, this might be the best option. If you need one week in, week out however, best to spend the money and get a really good one IMO. Aside from the cost they are also heavy and cumbersome, I don't know of any decent sub under 30kg so they are a real pain to carry to gigs, but do improve the sound and take the pressure off your main speakers.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

Ive got a pair of w-audio active subs im trying to sell... > w-audio link

since owning my kx audio stuff the 2 w-audio active 15" tops and subs have sat in storage collecting dust.. open to offers if anyones interested :otop: :ouch: i know...?

back on subject, the kx audio subs (kx1.5) i now hav are only 37kgs each and really easy to handle... boy do they shake ya fillings out!

Since owning the KX stuff ive had so many comments about how good the system sounds from every venue ive worked in... weight for boom ya not gonna find much better than the kx range!

Regards

Matt (mjmac)

www.zeroradio.co.uk

i have been using a pair of yamaha msr400 for about 3 years now with no problems so far. i use a wharfdale sub occassionally on big venues.

i first came across these speakers when i was looking in a local music shop at a pair of rcf 212A, they were good sound but came with a hefty price tag, nearing £800 each at the time. the store assistant showed me a pair of these yamahas which were cheaper but sounded just as good. they were selling them for £600 each.

so i had a good listen to both and decided to do some research on them both. to cut a long story short i purchased the yamahas for £299 each from millenium music online with free next day delivery. i had them delivered to my workplace and they have been great since.

just my 2p's worth as i aint heard of anybody else with these speakers about