Dj's United

Replacement Blue Led's

I'm sure I'm not alone in having a couple of fixtures which have failed blue LED's in them One of my Miracled's has 3 out and now one of my Acme Visio PAR56's has 6 out.

I took the Visio PAR apart and it's obvious that there are 6 LED's in series in each chain, which is fed via a resistor from a 24V supply. Shorting each one out in turn in the chain that is off with a low value resistor reveals the LED that has failed, so no problem there. But what do I replace it with? They are 5mm clear LED's and I was going to try CPC part code SC08230 or SC08232 (15 or 30 degree angle respectively, not sure which I need) these are CREE LED's supposedly designed for stage lighting but was wondering if something else is more suitable. I don't want to have different colours within the fixture.

Are the LED's in the Miracled the same as the ones in the PAR's? I haven't got round to taking that apart yet.

Get in touch with the manufacturer or importer and order replacements from them perhaps?. Seriously there are many different types of LED's out there, all with different brightness light outputs, colour temperatures and forward voltages, guessing which one will work in the same way as the one it replaces are almost the same odds as doing the lottery. Without a part number and manufacturer, it is literally a gamble.

Best case, is that it won't look right or will be dim

Worst case, is you damage the main unit or take the rest of the LED's out, meaning you then have to replace all of the ones in the same chain.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update! I contacted Prolight and they sell the correct LED's at £1.00 +VAT each, a little expensive I guess but at least they are the right ones. They arrived today so I have changed the faulty ones on my Visios and the new ones are identical to the originals.

The Miracleds use the exact same 5mm LEDs and I will be turning my attention to those tomorrow. Next time I do a CPC order, I will get some of those CREE LEDs and do a comparison with the Prolight ones, it's easy to measure the voltage drop and current draw when used with the correct series resistor. I'll let you know the outcome!

I think as these fixtures get older the failure rate will increse. If LED's are cheap enough then there's no reason not to maintain the units.