Dj's United

A tip from the best!!!

Ok here is a tip from norman cook (fat boy slim) for all you budding new djs out there! and if you take this tip to heart it will greatly help you become a good dj whatever genre you play!!

A good dj is always looking at the crowd seeing what they like seeing whether its working: communicating with them. smillling at them. And a bad dj is always looking down at what they're doing at the time and just doing their thing that they practised in their bedroom..

Norman Cook!

It sounds so simple but i have seen so many djs just get caught up it what they want!

Edited by Dj_Kray

Well some good advice admittedly, but there are times when you just have to concentrate.............. (getting the top off the next beer............ writing down the birds phone number correctly............... signing for your money............... LOL)

Looks like Norman Cooke and I have more in common than just Zoe Ball then...

I couldnt agree more with his statement. Watch the crowd and ADAPT the show LIVE to what you're playing...if they start drifting off when playing a particular genre, get off that genre quick, dont carry on with the remaining 1hour 59mins of the set you've been practicing in your bedroom for the last month...move on...work the crowd, dont be a jukebox.

and Norman (or is it Quentin) used to work as a mobile DJ

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

QUOTE (Ian Stewart @ Jul 15 2003, 01:02 PM)
and Norman (or is it Quentin) used to work as a mobile DJ

so did ..................

John digweed

Carl cox

Gilles peterson

Pete tong

Lee burridge

Dave seaman (not the footballer)

Timo maas

To name but a few!!

It just goes to show you that the "superstar DJ's" who have lasted the course all served their appentaships.

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

Some one's been reading their "How to DJ Properly" book! lol http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/042.gif

I get paid to look stupid!

yes i have i would like to of been able to say he said it to me personally but hey its still good advice from a great book!

• 4 months later...

Just thought id bring this to the top coz we have had a few what to play questions from new members and i think it sums up a big basic in how to dj! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I despair of mobile jocks who never look at the crowd... permanently have their cans on and are full of ego... which ever way you dj... club, mobile whatever, you Have to have charisma.... I know a wicked DJ called stacey tough who was using 3 decks long before carl cox and although he concentrates he is just amazing to watch - continual movement - he does clubs - but even so, any djs key words should be energy and enthusiasm!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

QUOTE (kazzachi @ Dec 1 2003, 07:58 PM)
I despair of mobile jocks who never look at the crowd... permanently have their cans on and are full of ego... which ever way you dj... club, mobile whatever, you Have to have charisma.... I know a wicked DJ called stacey tough who was using 3 decks long before carl cox and although he concentrates he is just amazing to watch - continual movement - he does clubs - but even so, any djs key words should be energy and enthusiasm!

yup have to agree with many of the comments here.......

the key to be a DJ is energy, knowing how to read a crowd and having fun doing and being professional about it....

and keep watching, someone once told me that when I'm doing a gig mobile or in a club, my eyes keep moving round the dancefloor and club etc watching people...

helps you keep on top of things!

You can teach anyone how to mix two records together, but learning how to read a crowd takes longer!

Another top tip is to watch peoples feet, if they are dancing slower than the music you are playing slow the tempo down, and if they are dancing faster than the music you are playing, play something faster....

Incidently whilst on the subject of people who started as mobile Djs, Pete Tong started out as a box carter for Chris Hill(legendary Soul DJ) long before he made it big, and he hasn't done too bad since then!

as Kazz says..egos......no time for it after all we are only people who play music made by other people!

Edited by stevemarshall

QUOTE (stevemarshall @ Dec 2 2003, 03:16 PM)

and keep watching, someone once told me that when I'm doing a gig mobile or in a club, my eyes keep moving round the dancefloor and club etc watching people...

Yes i am always watching the crowd sometimes to the point were some girls boyfriends keep giving me the evil eye thinking im staring at there girl friend this is just funny http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I truly feel that to be a good DJ you either have it or you don't. There are aspects that can be taught such as mixing etc but some of the most important components come naturally.

I never worked as a roadie for any DJ's before I started, I was just thrown in the deep end as such and started doing parties for friends when I was a kid.

I just naturally stated to watch the crowd, both those seated and dancing to guage their reactions to every song I played, which would then determine what song I played next. This is the way that I have ALWAYS worked and probably always will.

This together with instinctively knowing what songs will work for each audience and which one's won't, are to me the difference between a good and an average dj.

Just because a song has been #1 or won a grammy etc doesn't mean people will wanna dance to it. This is the area where cowboys/amateurs come a cropper http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

QUOTE (Eskie @ Dec 2 2003, 03:52 PM)
I truly feel that to be a good DJ you either have it or you don't. There are aspects that can be taught such as mixing etc but some of the most important components come naturally.
I never worked as a roadie for any DJ's before I started, I was just thrown in the deep end as such and started doing parties for friends when I was a kid.
I just naturally stated to watch the crowd, both those seated and dancing to guage their reactions to every song I played, which would then determine what song I played next. This is the way that I have ALWAYS worked and probably always will.
This together with instinctively knowing what songs will work for each audience and which one's won't, are to me the difference between a good and an average dj.
Just because a song has been #1 or won a grammy etc doesn't mean people will wanna dance to it. This is the area where cowboys/amateurs come a cropper http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

interesting comments as always from Eskie I too watched the crowd from an early age(in fact I did my first club disco when I was 14 but thats another story!)

I learnt from watching the showbands/cover bands in Ireland, learning what songs worked what ones didn't..plus things like party games etc to get a crowd going etc etc

I'm with Eskie thats the way I work and I suppose I always will, I've been doing discos since 1974...so I must be doing something right!

And knowing your audience is a key to being a good or bad dj.......

and a good dj can make any crowd move....*S*

as to Eskie's point about no.1 hits etc not getting people dancing, certainly in Ireland I can name at least one......

Firestarter

never played it even when it was a top 10 hit, and Vindaloo.........never played......

Edited by stevemarshall

Just because a song has been #1 or won a grammy etc doesn't mean people will wanna dance to it. This is the area where cowboys/amateurs come a cropper

As do the ones who just play what they "THINK" the audience want to hear!. This is also the main problem with some of the Younger D.J's when the graduate from doing kids parties to more Adult or Family orientated functions - if they continue to play what they themselves want to hear, or just the current top 40, then they will run into problems pretty quickly.

As Tony pointed out, a lot can be learned from watching people, not just from their reaction, but from their body language also http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif , but if you bury your head into your mixer and just watch your VU's leap up and down, then you are likely to learn nothing http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/bash.gif

QUOTE (Chris_Pointon @ Dec 2 2003, 04:06 PM)
Just because a song has been #1 or won a grammy etc doesn't mean people will wanna dance to it. This is the area where cowboys/amateurs come a cropper

As do the ones who just play what they "THINK" the audience want to hear!. This is also the main problem with some of the Younger D.J's when the graduate from doing kids parties to more Adult or Family orientated functions - if they continue to play what they themselves want to hear, or just the current top 40, then they will run into problems pretty quickly.

As Tony pointed out, a lot can be learned from watching people, not just from their reaction, but from their body language also http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif , but if you bury your head into your mixer and just watch your VU's leap up and down, then you are likely to learn nothing http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/bash.gif

great points from Chris and Tony.......

yes body language is so important to watch, not only when doing discos but in general life as well!

Are you getting at me again esk http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif just joking i totally agree with your point..

to be a good DJ you either have it or you don't.

but i do feel you can still learn a lot over the years about how to build your sets but as for the basics of watching the crowd and being able understand there reactions and turn that into playing the songs they want does indeed come natrally.

I don't think that Esk was having a go Kev. More a point that some people are apt to take to D.J'ing naturally as a given skill, rather than having to go through some form of training routine.

I would tend to agree with this sentiment, although I think that the majority of "Newbie's" still do need a push in the right direction, either from advice, or by watching a D.J at work. Some people, of course, are not cut out for a career in D.J'ing at all, and soon learn this. Others, may take a few months or years to learn the basics and just need a helping hand to guide their talent along, and others, dare I say Prodigy's (Nothing to do with Firestarting) who just walk into the business with little or no help and make a success of it.

The term "Prodigy" is more commonly associated with Musical (instrument) genius, or budding artists or even 8 year old maths genius' but I think that it would apply to any occupation and I don't see why D.J'ing should be excepted. I doubt that Tony, being self thought, would take offence to being termed a Child D.J'ing Prodigy - even if it was some years ago http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/laugh.gif and his profile picture proves at what an early age he started D.J'ing!.

I'm not suggesting that this is an open invitation, that every 15 or 16 year old starts up a Mobile Disco with no help, advice or experience at all, just the fact that some could, but most need some help, whether its from helping another D.J or a skill passed down from Father to Son (or daughter) or just from reading this forum.

Anyone can learn to mix.... ANYONE! To be a successful DJ will depend on your own persona.... You cant learn this by being "an apprentice dj" - like tony says, you either have it or you dont! One thing that I will disagree on however, is that even when you have been dj-ing for as long as many of us, even though you think you can read a crowd, nobody can get it 100% right 100% of the time . Reading a crowd is mastered through experience, and even the most experienced djs can get it wrong once in a while - it might only be with one track that you played the night before and got a seriously great reaction, but you play it the following night and it could bomb - which is why we will all keep learning all the time that we do the job.

Your success as a DJ will be measured by the amount of bookings you get - and how you get them. If you dont advertise in any way, shape or form and get bookings purely by word of mouth, and earn a decent living dj-ing as your only occupation, then I think you can safely assume you are a successful DJ. To keep successful you still have to learn and keep wanting to improve - no matter how good you are - by wanting to do even better at every job is a good way to keep your ego in check... there is always another up and coming dj around ready to steal your crown!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To be a successful DJ will depend on your own persona.... You cant learn this by being "an apprentice dj" - like tony says, you either have it or you dont!

Sorry, but we'll have to disagree on this one Karen. I've seen people who are the shyest people you could ever meet in person, gain enough confidence to stand in front of an audience of 100's and entertain them with no problem at all, and I include myself in that statement!. Out of interest, How many D.J's here smoke? and find themselves smoking more than usual, or even admit to chain smoking as a form of comfort before / durng a gig to hide nerves?

It took me 18 months to gain the confidence to use a Mic and "work" a crowd, and in the face of several people saying that I would never make a success of being a D.J - now, after almost 16 years and with one successful business built on the back of another - I tend to disagree with what you've said.

Not every D.J is naturally outgoing, personality wise - and I am one of them http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif , yet after this long and never having to actively advertise the roadshow for almost 7 years then I must be doing something right. Yet, in the early days I would never say in a million years that I was a natural D.J when I was training!.

Personally I now find it easier to wonder into a crowd of strangers at a nightclub with a Mic and find several "volunteers" and get them to do something risque' on the dancefloor than I did meeting you, Paula and Co at the Plasa - and thats the truth!.

We are all individuals and nobody knows what we are capable of until it's put to the test or we are shown how to!, how did we learn to walk and talk? - from watching and learning from others!.

Even some, now famous names, in D.J'ing and Showbiz started life doing menial work without any early indication that they would become famous, yet they made it, and some very quickly. What i'm trying to say is that sometimes it takes a bit of work and practice to come across something that you are good at, and may have never known about, should somebody have never given you the opportunity!, and the easiest way to destroy somebodies confidence in their ability in what they are planning to do, is to criticise them when they are learning how to do it or considering it!.

Sometimes people come across "skills" that they never knew they had, they could be 50, 60 or 70 before they discover a skill that they didn't think they could do, or think that they were capable of. DJ Trev is an older D.J who is still relatively new to the industry, but he's doing well and making a success of it!.

and earn a decent living dj-ing as your only occupation

Hmmm, in your words this makes me unprofessional Karen. Again I disagree and circumstance plays a very important part in this statement. If you were to check the "How much do you charge poll" you will find the vast majority of people charging under what you charge, and therefore unlikely to be able to do it for a living, there are far more people here D.J'ing as a 2nd occupation than a full time one - looking at the stats.

Reading a crowd is mastered through experience, and even the most experienced djs can get it wrong once in a while

Very True - who was it that said "To err is Human" and even as professionals some decisions are half chance!:)

QUOTE (discodirect @ Dec 2 2003, 05:27 PM)
I'll stay out of this one!

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/xmas.gif

LOL @ Dan

Probably for the best, maybe I read the post wrong, but according to Karen's philosophy - then I don't exist as a D.J, http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif, non of you really know me as such, so you'll have to take my word for it!.

On another point Becoming a D.J also gave me confidence at dealing with people in person, and I did manage to overcome a lot of my initial shyness thanks to it as well, I also managed to conquer a slight speech impediment purely down to wanting to do something enough - would any of you have given me the same opportunity knowing this?? - I doubt it!.

I also recall a thread where Karen was offering to let a 14 year old watch her at work, surely this is an indication that you, yourself, believe that somebody can learn and benefit from watching what you do? and what is involved?, otherwise you'd be wasting your time!.

Any room for me under the parapet ?, i just wanted to add that my memory has also served me well when watching the crowd,if i see someone on the floor who i remember has made a certain request then i throw it on and look at them while doing it. I tell u i have won a few friends doing that and it helps!

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

here is my tuppence worth of rubbish on the subject.

I believe any one can be taught to DJ at a competant level, but I believe the truly great ones either have it or not. and take to it like a duck to water, but that does not say that they do not contine to learn. I know I do at every gig i've ever done.

I was not taught to DJ by any one individual, but when I was younger I learnt by watching DJ's and watching the crowds reaction to what he did. I did this at every club, school disco or family function I ever went to, this way I got to draw on a lot of styles and adapt them for my self.

Being taught by one guy is a good thing, but also bad is as much as you are not developing your own style, and probably pick up their bad habits, as well as their good ones.

NUFF SAID