Dj's United

Down Sizeing my set-up

I'm looking to down size the equipment I use.

I have an amp, effects deck, mixing deck, base bin, two karaoke players, laptop and speakers. As well as a lighting T-Bar with 4 lights.

The lights are fine, so I don't need to change them.

The trouble is it takes me about six trips, and 45mins set-up and 30mins to pack away. I'm looking to improve this and fit everything into the boot of my Mondeo estate (excluding the base bin which is rarely used).

I'm looking for a combined mixer / effects deck, possibly powered preferably with 8 channels or more and as compact as possible. Speakers to be around 300W RMS (not sure about powered or not, but don't fancy the additional trailing mains leads) Amp power to be around 400W RMS per channel.

I've seen a Behringer PMH880M powered mixer that looks like it could do the biz, but I don't really know anything about the brand / product. Behringer also do some speaker packages to go with them that look good value.

Any comments would be appreciated.

In my new rig I'm using a Behringer PMH3000 powered mixer. 400x400 @ 4Ohms. Probably around 200x200 @ 8Ohms. (They don't give the figures for 8 Ohms).

I've done 2 gigs with it so far for about 120 people, and I'm very pleased with it so far. Up to now I've been using my 8Ohm EV400 speakers as I didn't need heaps of power and they're nice and small. Had no trouble getting enough volume, though I was getting close the the red led's at some points.

Even running it nearly flat out for 3.5 hours it stayed nice and cool. Can't wait to do NYE in a decent sized venue where I can use my 4Ohm Peaveys and give it some stick.

It has lot's of useful functions built in, as you'd expect from Behringer. These include effects (with a footswitch socket), PFL, mute, led output meters,loads of outputs for external amps/powered speakers etc, for when you really need some extra power.

I'll be writing a proper review of it in the new year once I've used it for a bit longer.

The only down side for me was the built in carrying handle. In order to fit it into my new rig, without making the rig bigger, I've had to cut off the handle as it's part of the case, thus destroying the warranty. But this was something I was prepared to suffer for improving the convenience of setting up.

If you've not already seen it, have a look at this thread.

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10083

Edited by High Fidelity

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

yeah, I had seen it before and was really impressed with your case and layout.

I'm getting a new Mondeo Estate this month (from my day job) When I've got that I'm gonna measure up and try to make something similar.

I might consider powered speakers as that would keep the weight of the main case down.

Something for the new year I think.

why not....

Get powered speakers

Get a 1U rack mixer etc

I can fit mine in a hatchback focus and takes 20 mins to set up.

My equipment is:

4U rack with PC, Numark RM6 mixer

2 x Gemini GX450 speakers

1 4ft goalpost stand

Starcloth

2 EVL spins in flightcase

2 Chauvet Explorer Plus barrel FX

1 box with leads

Still takes about 4-5 trips from the car, but very easy and quick to set up and set down

If you want small, why flightcase it anyway, a small Behringer mixer, like the UB502, two channel mixer, one for microphone, one for laptop, powered speakers and that is all, a few lights, should fit in a Mini Cooper.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

I do karaoke, so I need three mic inputs, a karaoke player, and I'll be using a PC for the disco music. So I'll need a minimum of 5 mono inputs on any mixer I get.

I'm borrowing a pair of Mackie Powered speakers and matching mackie deck from my aunt, who has recently given up singing on the circuit. If I like them, I may be asking her if she would like to sell them on.

45mins set-up and 30mins to pack away.

Jealous!!

14 boxes and 1-1.5hour setups are 'de rigour' for me.... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/sad.gif

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

And there's poor me who takes an hour to setup!!!

Doing god knows how many trips to the car. Must be between 8-10!!!

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk

Gruff, why not buy some of my gear!

I'm selling my Numark RM6 1U mixer and 1U vocopro DA1050 karaoke mixer, 6 mic inputs, echo, video in and out etc.

Plus, why not go to PC from CD etc....I run my music, karaoke, powerpoint, visualisations etc all from the PC.

Used the Mackies at a gig last weekend and they were awesome!

150 to 180 people who were very noisy, and I had to turn up the levels to around 50% of normal for my other speakers!

The mackie deck was a bit overkill and very complicated, so I decided to stick with my Peavy. Used my lap top for the music which worked perfectly as well.

QUOTE (h8ytr @ Dec 19 2005, 01:53 PM)
Gruff, why not buy some of my gear!

I'm selling my Numark RM6 1U mixer and 1U vocopro DA1050 karaoke mixer, 6 mic inputs, echo, video in and out etc.
Plus, why not go to PC from CD etc....I run my music, karaoke, powerpoint, visualisations etc all from the PC.

I'll check out the equipment you've mentioned and let you know if I'm interested.

thanks for the offer.