Dj's United

mackie srm 450 versus sr1530

thinking of purchasing pair of active speakers plus a sub woofer second hand , any opinions ? think the 450's are newer but the over heat seems to be a problem, do the 1530's suffer similar probs ? also there seems to be a wee bit of griping about the 18 inch sug, with some opinions rating the 15 inch as better, regards calum p.s I'm new to all this so any advice apreciated

Hi , The 1530s are a good cabinet but not very practical for mobile use. They are really a two person lift weighing in at 50kg each and being a large awkward shape. A friend of mine had a pair and decided to change to a pair of 450's and a 1501 sub.

I have heard both 1501 and 1801 subs , and decided myself to get the 1501, it sounds punchier and has plenty of power.

The 450 overheating can be a problem but I fixed this by adding a fan to the heatsink and since then they have never let me down. you will find another thread open on this subject.

Overall my personal opinion go for the 450's with a 1501 ( or 2 x 1501 if you feel flush with cash ! )

Hayd

I use a Mackie 1801sub and it's a two person lift as well - you can just about lift it alone

but it's not easy.

I use the internal crossover in the sub with passive speakers and an amp for the mid-tops

mainly because I could buy kit as money became available and I didnt need to shell out for

two 450s in one go. I'm quite glad I did this now reading the horror stories here.

All the best, Chris

I have been using 2 srm 450's for well over a year , I also own 2 SA1501 Bins. I normally only use 1 bin but for larger rooms and crowds over 150 people I use two bins. I must admit I was worried about this overheating before I purchased these but I can honestly say I have had no problems as yet I used then by themselves for a couple of gigs and admittedly the heat sinks did get quite hot but never cut out.However When used with a sub the tops barely get warm. I suppose its all down to the levels you drive your system at , I use an Allen & Heath Xone 62 mixer and keep a sharp eye on the levels , the tops are set at 12 Oclock and the bins level control normally at 2 Oclock. Mackies I understand don't need to be thrashed to sound good the sound is always clear even at the back of a large room. Its a good idea to check your sound level about halfway through your set , as it is quite surprising how the volume level rises during the night. I may be playing too softly but since I got my Mackies I have never been asked to turn it up , often been asked to reduce the volume though.

Woody

cheers for the reply, didn't really think about the weight issue and very nearly just bought a couple of 1530's, if used sensibly[ not too loud], are the 450's still a good bet ?, has anyone got any knowledge about the KAM pro series, got a mate in a blues band who loves them, also fairly cheap in comparison

has anyone got any knowledge about the KAM pro series, got a mate in a blues band who loves them, also fairly cheap in comparison

See the post you started http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Agree with woody

My mackies and 1501 sub never let me down, to be fair on mackies its usually user error that make these units shut down like overdriving them, settings wrong on the back, low freq button pressed in etc etc

Used on their own great for small gigs....used with a sub as tops only even better

If your thinking of buying mackies new....dont worry they are great speakers, and worth every penny imo Just look after the levels and theyll look after you!