Dj's United

Here's One For the New Gigging DJ's!

Here's One For the New Gigging DJ's!

I believe that there are 'ice breakers' for every type of function.

Because every function is different and unique - it would be fair to say most DJ's try to read the crowd.

Now, for Weddings and other related DJ work, in my experience, are all heading along the lines of.....?

‘Start .Middle End’………

with the bit in the ‘middle’ varying from function to function.

'The Middle', yes, can be disco-stomping all the way from the start - if the crowd are that way inclined, or, at some Wedding Gigs, a pre requested format, be it Traditional, a Set Piece or stopping for Buffet , etc - it doesn't matter really!

But the main thing is that whether you are doing a Wedding or other private / corporate function, you could literally say with hand on heart –

"after the food - it's disco all the way."or "after the buffet, everybody will get into the swing of things either sitting down, tapping their feet or on the dance floor"......

Why say this to a client??

Well because it reassures the client that YOU ARE experienced; it invariably happens; anything happening on the dance floor earlier on is a bonus to them (and of course to you) and, most importantly.....

it covers you if early on at the start of the gig - it is s http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/censored.gif t due to a number of various possibilities - far too common to remind ourselves of in this posting!

(Well – like low attendance numbers, hall to big, kids running around, feuds, heat, etc)

How many times were you told one thing from the client about their guests – and the outcome was totally opposite? And THEY are meant to know them!

People (guests) can be, at times, difficult.

We can all start our gigs on the button, upon arrival and play Background stuff. Who would dream of going ‘mainstream’ from the start unless requested prior???

Gigs, from my experience, 'take off', (especially with a Traditional Wedding), normally after the ceremonies, First Dance, or, after the Buffet is announced and First Dance opens the disco for all friends and family to join the B&G on the floor in this respect.

But, like I said, every 'gig' is unique and I have had people up from the FIRST record till the LAST, all-night, through the Buffet, etc on many occasions.

People (guests) can be, at times, receiving!.

So to the DJ who has never attempted or performed as a Wedding Entertainer – it might be handy to try and experience other DJ’s Weddings – not to be critical of the DJ, (that’s another topic in itself)....but to understand and experience the various different types of Weddings that established DJ’s have to do!!!

HAPPY SPINNING http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/042.gif

Good comments, I alway say that nothing much happens before the buffet and/or first dance

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Yes have to agree with Dan's comments here, we British are a strange lot at formal occasions. So many times I have had to reassure the B & G everything will be ok.............even to telling them that putting their first dance back to 10pm is 'not' a good idea, because there are a lot of people (especially older ones) who feel it is downright rude to even dance before the B & G !!

I normally ask them to get the first dance over as soon as their evening guests have arrived (unless circumstances dictate otherwise) that way the audience are happy, B & G are happy cos people are dancing, the photographer / videographer are over the moon cos they are done early, and you don't have those horrible white floods on later in the evening!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

When I start normally after the buffet (always try and do the 1st dance before the buffet) I play Rose Royce and car wash. Get everyone standing up and clapping, start off with practice claps etc. Always works well.

Gav

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Weddings! I dont know why people think that nobody is interested in dancing until 10pm! I believe it is my job to make sure that I have people on the floor for the whole evening... or as much as I can. I generally start off with a little background stuff just so that the B&G can welcome thier evening guests... then, as I have said before, I tend to play for the kids, then to the duffers.... I liaise with the B&G as to when they are happy to take their first dance.. but point out to them before their wedding that their first dance is NOT the first dance of the evening... It is their first dance as a married couple. During the buffet I never down-beat... lets face it, who likes standing in a queue waiting for food anyway... so when I announce the buffet I also tell them what genre of music I will be playing next and so if they hate queueing then stay on the dance floor.. but if its not their cup of tea, then head towards the buffet!

Maybe it comes with experience, but when I do a wedding I will work my T@~ts offs playing as much variety as I can - lets face it, you dont have to be a professional DJ to play a mere two hours of great party music.

My personal feeling is that you work to make sure that your dance floor is full from beginning to end...if you can pull this off (and I hasten to add that I DONT ALWAYS manage it - but on most occasions do) then you can expect to have wedding bookings coming out of your ears for years to come. How many times have you heard people remark that the dj only managed to get people on the floor for the last couple of hours........?!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think one of the reasons why people remark on that a DJ only 'got everyone up' for the last 1-2 hours is quite a broad, but blunt answer - it's the last thing people mostly remember!!!

Let's face it - clients more or less pay for the last couple of hours - literally. Anything 'flooractive' above that (time on the dance floor) is a bonus to them, and, of course, to us.

But we don't go around being too honest, saying to clients "you're really only paying for the last two hours....anything on the dancefloor or longer is a bonus...." who wants to hear that?! I wouldn't at my Wedding!

People, like the ones CP and others experienced recently, are the 50% effort towards a great night.

DJ's, who actually give more than 100%, are the equal equation to a winning formula.

The DJ could be the greatest in the world - but it won't make a blind bit of difference to the certain, various crowds we entertain week in, week out.

True though, we should all aim for 110% and do our best on every gig - you're as good as your last gig, a famous DJ once told me. When we can all hold our heads up high and feel confident we've done a good nights work - there is no retort.

I once attended a function for DJ's, laid on by a venue that was hired by a disco and band entertainment agency.

Many of the agency mobile DJ's and guest mobile jocks attended; a sort of nice-y, nice-y sort of gig. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif

No one wanted to dance whilst the rota of agency DJ's took turns behind the decks.

And the same happened when the 'guest' DJ's had their turn.

The hired soul band came on and everybody started to dance!

After the gig, the 'boss' (my agency big cheese at the time) scratched his head and said something like "over 30 years in the business...and I can't make it out why nobody is dancing?"

I gave my then view as this: "maybe it's because nobody want's to give the impression that the plate spinning 'working DJ' is any better than any of the others......."

I was cocky and very, very arrogant many years ago, I admit.

But in hindsight, I would say that people were enjoying themselves, tapping their feet, tapping a 'beat' with their fingers on the table, etc., and the feeling was upbeat.

You see this at all types of functions when the guests are seated.

Just because people don't jump up straight away doesn't mean they are not enjoying themselves, and, is in no way a poor reflection on the hard working DJ's.

Bloomin heck Dan remember us oldies........... I had to put my specs on for that lot, whats with the small type?

And if Kazz is working her wotnots off can I have the next message in braille...............sort of feel me way round the forum??

Sin

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/221.gif

Hi DD!! Here I go again!! When the phrase "the Dj only had them up for the last couple of hours" has been used by some of my guests talking about the performance of other djs they have experienced, the remark has been totally derogatory. It is an even broader statement to suggest that people only ever remember the last two hours of a function - its a bit like saying that cinema goers only ever remember the last twenty minutes of a film!.

When I first started out I was "relieved" if I could get my punters on the floor for the last couple of hours - at least I had got them on the dance floor!

One of the most-used comments I get at gigs is "its great to see a DJ who can keep the dance floor going all night - and not just for the last couple of hours!"

You can keep a dance floor full - I do on almost every occasion and worry that I am not fulfilling my obligation to my client if I dont. If they only wanted people to dance for two hours then why should they book for 4 and a 1/2... background stuff can usually be played through most hotel systems anyway.

I suppose at the end of the day, it all boils down to the old addage "you get out of it what you are prepared to put in".... I go into every job I do with the target of keeping fully employed by having given my best performance and making sure everyone at the function hears exactly what they want. By doing this, the demand for my services ensures I earn a great living.

Im sure crispy can tell you what happened when he took some advice on how to keep your dance floor going at a wedding he did a while back - it worked and he posted the comments! Set your standard highers and reap the rewards! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/1106.gif

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

just one other little point (as if I havent made enough already!!) If I told my B&G that I only expected to get people on the floor for the last couple of hours then I dont really expect to get their booking! In fact, I dont deserve their booking! I dont lie to my clients - I always tell them that I WANT to keep people on the floor all night and work hard to achieve it....... Its is not always possible, by the intention is there.

I pride myself in trying to tailor the event exactly to the customer's requirement, so for Wedding's in Particular I discuss the nights requirement in great detail.

For most clients, it is their first (and hopefully) only Wedding, where as I must have done well over 2000 over the years, so for the majority of people, they are happy for me to suggest idea's and a schedule and then they can "yes or no" it or adjust it as required.

By doing this, I have found that the vast majority of Weddings, people will be arriving at various times, since there are usually Afternoon and Evening guests, there will also be those Afternoon Guests who will leave to Freshen up and return later.

There may also be people coming from a great distance, or occasionally from other countries! to attend, and usually the first hour is spent finding out what Uncle Joe has been upto for the past 35 Years since they Emigrated or moved to Kent (Much the same thing http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/221.gif ). IMHO - there is nothing worse than blaring Music when you are trying to talk.

More recently, I have adopted Karens Idea regarding Entertaining the Kids whilst people arrive..and it really does work and it keeps the parents happy. For functions where there are few or no kids then I stick to the background music policy.

Either way, I give the client the choice - Start the disco from the word go, or Low Level Background Music. The Majority seem to prefer the background / kids entertainment option until the buffet, and at least by entertaining the Kids you are working, and not feeling guilty for doing nothing.

On the rare occasion I have been asked to start immediately, it is very rare to fill a dancefloor at 8pm - people may have been standing all day at the church and want a sit down, be leaving to change, Chatting with Relatives they haven't seen for years and more importantly the Evening Guests will be just arriving and not yet visited the Bar!.

True though, we should all aim for 110% and do our best on every gig - you're as good as your last gig, a famous DJ once told me. When we can all hold our heads up high and feel confident we've done a good nights work - there is no retort.

Agreed, although if you have a stubborn audience who are intent on standing at the bar / talking all night then Nothing will shift them!. Thats the difference between doing functions and club / Pub work. At a function, you have people invited who may hate disco's with a passion but still have to make an appearance. - You may also have an ongoing family feud or at a Wedding - two families who hate each other to contend with. At such functions - the Dancefloor is viewed as a No mans land and not to be crossed! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/excl.gif .

The Pub / Club Scene is totally different, you wouldn't go to a Pub advertising a Disco if you prefered to Play Bingo, and you certainly wouldn't pay a £5 admission fee in the case of club. This is why the general resident work, is more enjoyable and can be more successful (Dancefloor) than the Weddings - Equally they can also be the harder to work http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/533.gif but at least you have the incentive.

agree with what you are saying crispy... but you dont have to have the sound system pumping full blast to get people on the floor! Some people will want to talk - some wont - which is great seeing as at weddings there are so many different age ranges..... the people who like a certain genre of music will dance whilst those who dont like that particular genre wont - they will be chatting! I also discuss with the B&G how they want their evening to run...... most tell me that they want a really good party and to have everyone up as soon as possible. A lot of experience and a little psychology goes into doing the perfect wedding.... I think I have got it right after all these years but still welcome any advice on how to do them better.

You know I read these comments/ideas and lap them all up, but i don't know how many are like me and sit here thinking ......... I wish I could go and watch Kazz/Paula/Ads/Chris/ etc work just for one night! There is so much potential to be shared, and you can only do so much via the forum, trouble is the mileages that would be involved in doing it are prohibitive. (I left Dan out cos we already both worked the same venue and have seen each other)

Spin

I too have often thought that would be great! you would def pick up some pointers no matter how good you thought you already were

Sin you are welcome to come along to any of my gigs anytime! Mind you, if you are behind my decks with me dont bank on just "standing there"! I would have you doing things you thought you would never do!!!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/wub.gif

im not talking kids parties - Id take you to the grown up stuff!!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/071.gif

True - Spindoctor had a machine gun at the ready, I put pins on the seats!!!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

No, really, I think we are all in agreement that we give our best - or to put another way, if we didn't, we wouldn't be working as entertainers.

Take, for example the mid 90s. I was actually working more nights and doing more Weddings (through an agency) than now, as an independant. (And holding down a fulltime job at the time)

I used to think that the time I spent with the agencies was a 'waste' because I wasn't building my own name and reputation, however, the experience was extremely valuable.

Independant since 1997-98 though, has been a challenge, and I can't complain from the repeat work or testimonials.

It makes me laugh though, when a client books an expensive venue, say a hotel and then some, and the invited guests are fed and watered - but can't be bothered to make an effort to celebrate the traditional "best day of someone's life". I strongly think that todays Wedding is unappreciated and too common for some social circles.

Ever heard guests comparing Weddings they've attended? Or whinged that someone else's function was more lavish or 'wonderful'? How sad.

Weddings in different areas of the Country, I think, will also be a critical factor in entertainment.

I attended a Wedding in Blackpool a few years back and was surprised at what the main guests were into. Then, it was 70's, Soul and what I'd call 'cheese'.

(Slightly different viewpoint, Scotland's dance scene/club scene was still Hardcore Rave and D&B - at least 3-4 years after the main commercial bubble had burst.)

Another Wedding in Hull - and it was virtually Country and 70's allnight!

Southend - cheese, soul 70's and 80's.

Basildon - everything from 60's - 80's, cheese-pop, 90's dance etc..

Kensington - soul, 80's and cheese-pop

Isle of White - bit of everything

Middlesex - bit of everything

Ever found that the 'cheapo' function - be it a Wedding, Birthday, Club or Anniversary gig goes brilliant?

Because EVERY function is different, we take our knowledge and cater for the similar or typical - that's what experience is for. The unexpected keeps us on our toes - that's what experience is also for.

As there is no strict rule of thumb for such varied functions - our uniqueness and individuality sets us aside from one another - and a good job that it does!

I know a young vocalist (female) who is booked for her 'huge charms' and 'sultry looks' - her singing talent is pretty dire, but she is popular!!

Another DJ I know has all the gear, all the sounds, loads of experience, etc....but LOSES a lot of repeat work through shabby dress sense and personal hygene - he generally smells of B.O. and looks like a tramp. His entertainment skills are still very, very good. Many people (including me) over the years have tried to be polite and drop him hints, make light suggestions and even blunt remarks. His attitude, and yet not surprisingly, is "I work http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/censored.gif hard etc, etc, and have been doing this for years!"

Imagine this - we all DJ entertain to the very SAME crowd on different nights.....how do you think it would reflect? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/533.gif

In real terms - crowd reading is a peoples-relation and communication skill. If you are good at that - whether people sit down all night and have a good time or dance all night and have a good time - you're doing fine.

What I'm trying to say in a long winded way is if people do not choose to dance - they will not. Even if you was Todd Terry, Paul Van Dyke, Pete Tong or Les Battersby! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

ah Les Battersby...... the Djs DJ!...... Yuk, I dont know if I could tell anybody that they had a body odour problem! They were discussing this on the radio the other day..... you would have to have some cojonnes to do it!!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sad.gif

LOL! Yes Paula I believe it was...... mind you the discussion between the radio jocks was very strange... one was mentioning B.O whilst the other was announcing the buffet!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/071.gif

I gotta admire you kazzachi, if you can get them up all night! I've done a goodly number of functions - discos, weddings, birthdays etc - my experience has largely been that not too many will get up and boogie until they've had a few jars - and at a lot of functions, people just want to chat and socialise a lot. I also have to laugh (or I'd cry) when you've just done a storming half hour of Motown, and some swine lurches up and says "play some Motown love, that'll get them up!"

I'm told I'm pretty good at that sort of thing, so I don't think I'm playing the wrong stuff.

Anyway - it always depends on the mood/crowd/temperature - i play a techno set in a local pub every month, and sometimes they hammer away and love it. Others they sit in the garden all night and I think it's been dreadful - then they all wander through going "great set - really bangin', loved it..." ...didn't bloomin' dance tho!

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/huh.gif

It's a funny business we're in. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

the point I am trying to make is that at mixed age range functions - you know, weddings, anni's and birthdays, It is so easy to keep your floor full.... If kids are there then play to them first... they dont need a drink - and cant get one! - to get up on the floor - then play to the duffers -who like kids, are confident enough to enjoy a dance without the aid of a pint of two! By the time you have played to the peeps who dont need an alcoholic "crutch" before they can let go and enjoy themselves, you will have played everything that they probably wouldnt want to dance to anyhow, and by this time, they will be sozzled enough to have the confidence to get up!. I think if you go in with the attitude that nobody will be interested until the last couple of hours then you wont really be bothered and are already defeated! I can only say that the formula I use at functions works well for me... It has taken me 13 years to get where I am and have not always had the confidence that Ihave today. When I was learning then I probably would have agreed that people dont get up til the end - but I seriously dont get this at my gigs

This is really interesting stuff, and I hope the budding DJ's take note that not all gigs are bad. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

DJ Entertainment is a learning curve field of work, where you learn from every function. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

As an ex-club DJ (6yrs), I can say that club style gigs, where people make the effort and know what to expect - life was easier!!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

As for the overall wedding approach, many of the DJ's on the forum have many stories and experiences to share if you need advice, technical advice or confidence building.

Happy gigging! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/042.gif

Kazz,

I think you know that I am in complete agreement with you on this one, any DJ that accepts that no one will dance for the last 2 hours is not doing their job, you should be working the room to some capacity from the moment the guest arrive, even if they are tapping their feet and nodding their heads.

if you play the right song they will dance, no matter what the time, as a dj it is your job to find that song.

On so many occassions I hear DJ's stating that I played everything and no one danced, what rubbish it that means is that you did not play the right song, lets face it no one attends a party with the intention of having a miserable time. and before any says anything it has happened to me, but I look within my own performance rather then blame them.

at a wedding as Kazz says the kids will be there, so play to them 1st, then the wrinklies who will leave the party early anyway, so play to them then take it from there.

too many DJ's get lazy, they have pre-prepared playlist on PC, CD or mini disc to take them up to the buffet, then play the same songs at every function (which will work most of the time), but when it doesnot work don't have a plan B or C or D

so to summarise, all ways try & get them up dancing asap, and keep them there

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex