• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 ChrisPointon

ChrisPointon

Forum Owner

• Admin
  • 11,468 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:32 PM

There are two trains of thought on this idea....

First a non texting member of the audience, upon seeing you or your roadie busy Playing with their mobile phones, may naturally leap to the logical conclusion that they have far too much time on their hands and are not working hard enough.

I once had a complaint from a Hotel Manager that a D.J colleague of mine was texting during a gig. In fact, I had missed the gig due to ill health, and my colleague was texting ME, to let me know that the gig had been extended and could he drop off the Van the following Morning. Again, this was a legimate communication, but the venue management saw it as being very unprofessional. I suppose you would have to weigh up the pro's of the idea, against the cons of the Expense, and how standing their texting would look to the audience in general.

Mobile Phones can also play havoc with PA equipment, so if you choose to use your phone, make sure you do it well away from the console, otherwise your audience may be treated to a vastly amplified "D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D" sound from your P.A fear.gif .

I do use a throw away PAYG sim for text request's, so members of the audience can text requests to me if they require, and this seems to work well with younger audiences. However, I wouldn't respond to the text unless they specifically requested me to do so.

Why Buy New - New, Ex-Demo and Graded Disco Equipment at below retail prices

The Glow Factory - Bulk Discounts on Glow Sticks

#47 Smooth Criminal Ross

Smooth Criminal Ross

Occasional Contributor

• Regular Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:45 PM

Some real great points here!

Ive never done a wedding alone yet, im pretty sure i could cope though, now, after watching my dad.

there are deffo in my town some crowds that sit there with the "come on entertain me" look, as if expecting us to break out into some Juggling act...

In town sometimes its difficult to judge timin, say play to the kids 1st yeh, the oldies , then young uns, but in town sometimes the young uns leave early for the nightclubs, so what would you do then? Mix it around abit.

We always try and like, build them up, hit the "party" spot, then bring em down, ive read in the past here before that, some people like to leave em wanting more, which sounds good, but does it have to be like a big tune for the last song to leave them wanting more? You can finish on a slow song and leaving them wanting more as well cant you?

and Kazz, i love the trick u played. We usually remind them that we are liscensed to dance.

i was really sarcastic once, this guy came up and said "oh mate stick Jamelia on, its guranteed to get people dancing" (why is it people , drunk, think they know more than the DJ with experience)
So i stuck it on, no one danced(shame really) and i just said over the Mic " yeah Jamelia there and her smash hit Superstar....*pause, look at the guy* Guranteed to fill dancefloors across the country that one" and winked at him....

hehe
user posted image

#48 YourBigEvent

YourBigEvent

yourBIGevent

• Community Leader
  • 10,299 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:48 PM

Surely you turn your mobile off, or at least on silent ?
.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event
Office:01803 813540
Direct: 0797 0717 448
e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users