Dj's United

Mcps Licence Poll

Please vote for which MCPS option suits you  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The digital dj licence is effectively required even if you have never performed as it relates to the copying or ripping of the tracks not the performance. There is no limit to their jurisdiction for copyright purposes regardless of any limit to jurisdiction of performance licences.

The last thing we want is djs thinking they can copy music with impunity because someone suggested it on a forum.

Put simply, this information is incorrect.

Rest assured, when I have finished (I've gotta start first...) ripping my vinyl, CD's and digitally purchased files to hard drive, I will be buying a Digital DJ License a day or two BEFORE I take that hard drive out to performances. (unless something more apt becomes available, the MCPS's SG-7 perhaps...)

Whilst the hard drive is at home, however, before it goes out on its first gig - it is, merely owned by Gary the man on the street, not Gary the DJ. Therefore the BPI statement back in June(?) this year, which stated that no-one shall be branded a pirate for copying their own legally owned tracks from their CD's etc, to their MP3 players, iPods etc, seems to cover me.

Whilst the hard drive is at home, however, before it goes out on its first gig - it is, merely owned by Gary the man on the street, not Gary the DJ. Therefore the BPI statement back in June(?) this year, which stated that no-one shall be branded a pirate for copying their own legally owned tracks from their CD's etc, to their MP3 players, iPods etc, seems to cover me.

Absolutely correct !!

Rest assured, when I have finished (I've gotta start first...) ripping my vinyl, CD's and digitally purchased files to hard drive, I will be buying a Digital DJ License a day or two BEFORE I take that hard drive out to performances. (unless something more apt becomes available, the MCPS's SG-7 perhaps...)

Supposedly by end of January MCPS/PRS will have their new DJ Licence available.

PPl, I'm afraid is a different matter. Only the discredited Digital DJ Licence will be available from them. :(

Phil

Phil Cunnington

Member of the LWP

• 2 months later...

Well, it's fast becoming the end of JAnuary.

Any more news on this?

It makes me really frustrated that DJs who WANT to be fully legal can not be so, due to the authorities own bureaucracy.

Regards,

Phil Hulton

HeadlineDJ

Quite right.

Here I am with a load of tracks recorded from my vinyl collection, but with no legal way to take those recordings out on the road.

Do I break the law or break my back??

• 1 month later...

So basically DJ's who work Public Events (Public Performances) can obtain a licence, whilst those using them for private events still cannot as it is beyond the jurisidiction of PPL and of course the licence :rolleyes:

Anyone reading this - please, please speak to PPL before deciding to not buy a licence.

The performance licence is not the same as the digital dj licence.

The digital dj licence is effectively required even if you have never performed as it relates to the copying or ripping of the tracks not the performance. There is no limit to their jurisdiction for copyright purposes regardless of any limit to jurisdiction of performance licences.

The last thing we want is djs thinking they can copy music with impunity because someone suggested it on a forum.

Put simply, this information is incorrect.

I have spoken to PPL in the last week. The guy I spoke to in the DDJ Licensing Department told me that the license is for copying tracks to a laptop and playing in public. I asked about a standalone hard drive with a controller. He didn't know what I was talking about and said it covers laptops only.

The upshot was that he told me, quite categorically, that the licence would allow me to copy legally and play in public. At a private function it would be illegal.

I don't think I've heard anything more illogical and stupid than that for a while, but that's what he said.

I have emailed both PPL and MCPS in the last week for clarification.

Neither body has even acknowledged my communication, let alone replied.

Not impressed.