Dj's United

John has taken some time off from his SEDA duties to answer a few questions.... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif read & enjoy

1. What is your DJU Forum Alias?

John Kidd

2. What is your Real Name, Age, Location & Marital Status?

My real Name is John Kidd, I am 30 Years Old, Based in Kent, Near Canterbury. I Have been Married for 7ish years and have a Nearly 2 year old baby girl.

3. What is the Name of your Disco?

Crystal Sounds Disco

4. How long have you been a DJ?

Well I started at School with a Disco called Skyline, then with help from other local Disco namely Keith Hutchins and Eclipse Disco, I started out on my own, about 15 Years to date.

5. What inspired you to become a DJ

The School Boy dream got me, Going to School Discos, and enjoying watching them work, started roadieing for them and then DJing.

6. Are you a member of a DJ Association / Union?

Yes, I am Currectly the Chairman of the South Eastern Discotheque Association. And a Member of the MU.

7. What is your favourite type of function now? (eg: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, etc)

I really Enjoy Weddings and Dinner Dances, the Challange of making someones day that bit more Special and Enjoyable.

8. What’s the worst/most embarrassing thing you've done in front of an audience?

It was in a Posthouse Hotel on a Wedding, I had a Bad Headache and was not really with it, the Wedding was going well and I almost made it through, Bride and groom ready to leave from the middle of the Circle, Went live on the mike and faded out Frank for what ever it was, and asked the crowd to offer many congratulations to Debbie and Mike as they make their way as a Married Couple. All went Silent, the Crowd Turned, the Brides mouth opened, the Best Man 'Dave' ran for cover, I looked at my sheet and saw 'Bride and Groom' Debbie and Ian!!!!

Cant remember how I got out of now but I managed to dig it, and all left happy.

9. If you could go back to the beginning of your DJ career is there anything that you'd do differently? (eg: The gear that you bought, the way you promoted/advertised yourself)

Not really, I was a Lucky one, from the First instance of my DJing, I have been around very experienced DJs, they have always steered my right and true. The only thing I shouldn't have done was to take on a Partner in the Business that was less commited as I. They disappear and then one day come back wanting their money back, we live and learn.

10. What do you feel you offer the public that convinces them to book you rather than "the next guy/girl"?

Professionism, from the first to the last, I have made sure everything is right, the show is always Clean and Presentable, as are we. The Crystal Wedding Service works very well as well. We run the Event not just the Disco. A Promise to the Bride and Groom that what ever happens we will help, Driving to the off license to get a Forgotten Present, sorting out the Hotel when the food goes wrong. Just taking the worry away from the Bride and Groom.

11. Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadn't? and why?

My First Van, A W reg, ambulance, Painted Black, V6 Engine, 1 Mile to the Gallon with the Wind Behind you. Once cost me £40 to get to a Gig that was 20 miles away!

12. What's your next DJ purchase likely to be?

Either 2 Moving Heads or a Denon DND6000.

13. If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

I Think a Motorised Stair Walker Trolley. My main residency is Up stairs and this would really help, Either this or Helium Pockets to go inside the Kit Boxes, to float them up.

14. What was the worst equipment failure suffered during a gig?

Years ago I had a Carver amp with a rig I hired, it went down at the Start of the Night, Got out the Spare Amp to find that the adaptor leads were in the carry bag of the Operator, who was some 30 miles away.

Luckly if was a Junior school Gig, and a Hifi kept me going, while waiting for the leads to arrive.

15. What do you think is the best thing about DJ'ing?

The Feeling when driving home from a Good Night, Knowing that you have made a Difference!

16. What do you think is the worst thing about DJ'ing?

Time, Balancing between family life, and Business Life can get very tight, especially at christmas.

17. What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything)?

Total equipment loss is the main thing, I would never rebuild, my show is my life and it serves me well. even though i chance thing often, total loss would be it.

Also if there was a contest between Family and Disco, I would STOP tomorrow.

18. How do you think DJ'ing will change, in the next 5 years?

Well it has to be Digital, Computer Dj I am, Computer Daslighting and More Digital extras.

The Most Exciting thing for me is seeing the Unity of DJ across the Country and beyond. Djs working together, is going to make the future happen, and that is great!

19. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

Christmas just gone, a Lady thought she could do my job, entered in to a Bet with me that More people would get up dancing to Robbie Williams 'Tripping' than to YMCA and or Raining Men. Needless to say I won And she gave £10 to the NSPCC Charity.

But all we do is Press Buttons!

20. Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

If it seems to good to be true, it probably is!

and

If you can afford to buy something Twice, then you can buy it once. If it goes wrong then you are not stuck with no money.

21. And worst advice you were ever given?

Become the Chairman of Seda, it will be Fun.

22. How do you keep up to date with music? (eg Promo monthly CDs, Downloads, Purchase from retailer)

I get DMC and Singles from Asda, I dont Keep Strictly up todate with all the latest, as thats not the work that i do.

23. Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill the dance floor for you!

Proclaimers, 500miles

Van Morrison, Brown Eyed Girl

Phil Collins, Cant hurry Love

24. Mode of transportation

LDV Convoy Lwb Hitop

25. What is the furthest that you've travelled from home for a single gig?

Coventry and back for a Wedding

26. Approximately how many gigs have you done to date?

Around 1000 I should think

27. What is the largest/smallest audience numbers you've played to?

600 Kids School Disco

19 Adults, Tribute Night, with a Diana Ross. She was great, all 19 people danced all night.

28. What is your main (most successful) form of advertising your disco?

Wedding Fayres, without a Doubt, Apart from those I Dont advertise apart from a Basic Website.

29. Have you ever had someone try to claim off you? (eg: Public Liability Insurance or other such legal action)

NO!

30. Add any additional comments which you would like to include here...

I hope I haven't sent anyone to sleep with this! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/sleep1.gif

QUOTE (5star @ Jan 25 2006, 05:27 PM)
17. What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything)?

Total equipment loss is the main thing, I would never rebuild, my show is my life and it serves me well. even though i chance thing often, total loss would be it.

Also if there was a contest between Family and Disco, I would STOP tomorrow.

....or if The General Electric Company ever stopped production of the GEC4515 pinspot bulb ... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

Respect to you young sir

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

The Most Exciting thing for me is seeing the Unity of DJ across the Country and beyond. Djs working together, is going to make the future happen, and that is great!
http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/grouphug.gif Spot on John.

Great insight, nice one. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif