Dj's United

ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496

Looking to buy one of these

ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496

I am due to gig in a pub that has lots of brick pillars it plays chaos with mike feed back not always but sometimes. Thought about getting one of Behringers feedback distroyers and saw the above.

Any comments please?

Jimbo

Digital Fusion Entertainments

Bose L1 system user.

A lot depends on whether you want to use the feedback suppression built in or if you want to pull the freq's yourself.

The old 8024 Ultracurve also had 6 bands of feedback killer on it and can be had for a lot less than £100 now.

If you're going to set it up manually then a normal 31 band EQ will befine

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

I have one and it is mostly reliable. That is it does shut down on occasion with an error 11. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/mad.gif

Behringer say I should return it but as it is out of warrenty now the cost is on me.

A bit irritated as this would be the second unit replaced in 2 years fortunately the first was under warrenty.

Suggest there may a better options.

German law says warranty must be two years.

There is no self-serving gibberish about "trade users" and "professional users" in this provision.

This law applies to companies operating out of Germany, so therefore, you have a right to exercise it.

This law applies to BOTH manufacturer and retailer, it is an EITHER OR situation to use computer speak. If either your retailer or manufacturer is German than you have a right to this protection.

Under EU legislation you are entitled to this protection.

Behringer has made provisions for two year warranty throughout Europe. If your retailer (who unfortunately is technically the customer under our law) is not availing of it, then questions should be asked about whether he deserves your custom and what thought processes led him to make this decision for you.

Also, I doubt if he has the right to exercise this decision when he is not the person suffering, even under our shambles of a consumer law system.

Hi Jimbo

I know someone who has a DEQ2496. It is a nice piece of kit and the feedback eliminator seams to work reasonably well.

I did notice that it is much slower to pick up on feedback than the DBX Driverack unit that I have. However the Behringer unit is cheaper, so it's horses for courses.

As usual, it's the setting it up in advance that is all important (and speed of operation doesn't matter when setting the fixed filters before punters arrive).

There was quite a long discussion on eliminating feedback, and the use of "feedback destroyers" in a thread here:

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5399

However, if feedback is the only issue, you might be better off spending the money on a more feedback resistant microphone.

Looking for a way easily set up the sound system. The facilities offered by this unit look ideal for my needs. Being able to 'Ring out' before performance is a pain but this unit does it for you! Feedback is not normally a problem except when punters decide to wander around in front of the speakers and then decide to point the Mic straight at the speakers. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/censored2.gif It would be nice to have something to kill this ( or the perfomer http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/rolleyes.gif ) automatically.

I normally set my Mic levels a maximum level thaty does not cause feedback but in this pub it seems to change as the evening goes on! Most other times I set and forget.

Jimbo

Bose L1 system user.

Feedback destroyers like the Behringer, Driverack or Sabine do work to an extent, but you have highlighted something that I don't think we spoke about in the last DJU thread on the issue.

The amount of sound reflected back onto the microphone can be vastly increased by an overcrowded room. Realistically this makes the job of a feedback destroyer much harder.

The harder it has to work the coarser the adjustments are. I really think you have to put some more thought into issues such as better quality microphones and mixers.

Even between the Behringer XM1800s and XM8500 there is a dramatic change in the feedback profile. Go to a mike like BeyerDynamic and you really will notice a difference.

Large gigs where Behringer and Sabine units are widely are much easier to engineer cos you don't have people pushing right up against the speakers, which are much closer to the microphone in a typical bar setup.

A Behringer Shark will stop the howl, buy you will have to be fast to both eliminate the cause of the feedback and then reset the unit in order to restore normal sound.

I have Both Behringer mics. Shure PG48's and SM58's I generally use Gemini Radio mics the other mics with absolutly no problems at all.

It is just this one venue. It is not typical. It has low and high ceilings and a huge ceiling beam that reflect sound back at you.

I have a Vocopro 7000 Karaoke mixer. Here

I have just had a phone call to tell me that I have another gig to do this Sunday at the venue as the party that booked has not booked a KJ!. I will buy the Behringer unit if I can get one in time. I hope to get one by Thursday so I can try it out at my local Learning Disability Club where I DJ for them.

Anyone know who has one in stock?

Jimbo

Bose L1 system user.

However, if feedback is the only issue, you might be better off spending the money on a more feedback resistant microphone.

I wholeheartedly agree!! With some mics you are flogging a dead horse trying to eliminate FB, it's what sorts the sheep from the goats...(mic-wise)

Also,

The echo on some Karaoke machines (or mixers) can really encourage feedback, try it without if you still have problems.

Thankyou for all the input Guys.

It has led me to do a rethink of how to beat the problem.

I am happy with the sm58 and radio mics. Normally no problems whatsoever with them.

I will get 31 band equalizer and start from there. If problems continue I will get the Ultracurve and use the built in analyzer to help me set up the EQ.

Jimbo

Bose L1 system user.