Dj's United

I know there have been "comments" about this lighting......

but i keep coming back to the price.......(good as we all know)

has anybody bought any of their lighting yet........how does it work, robustness, sound etc.

anybody even seen any ?

only asking as no reviews so far...........

I believe that they are the Russian Roulette of Disco Lighting. Some of their effects are good and some are bad http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/533.gif . Trouble is, a lot of their range hasn't been around long enough for anybody to give a decent long term review. With the prices of lighting falling all of the time, and with the actual effects often been similar sometimes it might be better to buy a brand which sombody can give a long term review on.

Which of the Funky lighting effects are you actually looking to buy?

I was looking at a pair of the Funky Fever (the flat mirror scanner) as they have seperate colour/gobo wheels......... and they are cheap ( http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif )

Is there a recommended competitor ?

So, pair of those with a lighing controller from Thoman.

And the trailer..... going strong..... almost the most useful piece of equipment i have

just another reply... I contacted Funky to ask them about duty cycles.

They are quoting 20mins on, then off to cool.

I dont think this is the light for me anymore, i do like to forget about lights and leave them on all night (plus saves on any errant poppings on the electrics!!!)

Just too Funky for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont you think the Funky Daddy-MAX looks like ROBE - "XT" RANGE MOVING HEADS??

Uhmmm

Robe Spot 160 XT

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/3016/spot160xt1av.jpg

Control channels: 9

Colour wheel: 11 dichroic filters + open

Rotating gobo wheel: 3 metal gobos, 3 glass and 1 dichroic gobo + open

Height: 415 mm (head in horizontal position)

Width: 292 mm

Depth: 378 mm

Weight - EU model: 10.5 kg

US model: 12.5kg

Funky Daddy-MAX

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2909/funkydaddyolg4st.jpg

X, Y Reverse and positive selectable.

3 control modes: Sound to light, Master/Slave or DMX512

Speed of master/slave selectable

position focusing and self correction

7 rotating gobos + Blank

11 colours + open

Size: 430x350x550

Weight: 14kg

Edited by Tom

Ner ner ner ner... ner ner, ner can't touch this.

My biggest influence was Vera Lynn and I enjoy winding down with my cat - tabetha whilst listening to bing crosby playing on the gramophone.

... You wish ....

<br>Buy and sell advertising www.adsbay.co.uk </center>

As far as I can tell, almost the entire funky lighting range is either a direct copy or reverse-engineered versions of standard lighting effects, just cheaper.

As they havent had to spend any money on R&D and they are made in a cheap labour environment they can be produced at a cheaper cost

Perhaps if anyone has any of these products, and maybe the one it is copied from they could see if the build quality is the same? If so then there should be no problem leaving the 250watt units on for a couple of hours at a time, whatever the manufacturer recommends.

When i bought a funky lighting stand was told that funky is a brand of EU lights, and that they have now started selling through retailers instead of just direct, as retails were getting the hump!!

So it may be worth talking to your local retailer, mine told me his prices were the same as the funky website if not less!!

somebody......... somewhere on this forum must have bought some funky lighting.......

don't be shy... just cos some people dont like'em!!!

I really want to know what they like as the feature set reads well and the price reads better.........

Anybody!!!!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/wallbash.gif

I would be worried about buying any lighting effect which came with advice on a duty cycle!. Would you switch off a Cd Player every 20 mins and say "sorry folks thats all for now, i'll be back in 10 mins to start up again'. Besides i've got better things to do at a disco than to time lighting effects, and to keep track of what effect has been running for so long.

I know that duty cycles are a large part of life when buying budget equipment, but it doesn't have to be that way. I've paid reasonable amounts for lighting effects like the NJD Datamoon, Soundlab Colourscans, Constella Chameleon etc than have then been run for hours at hundreds of gigs and are now quite a few years old and have never given me any problems.

But full marks to Funky Lighting for at least being honest! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/patriot.gif

I would guess anything that has a fan in and is therefore force cooled should be ok?? All of my 250 watt effects are ok. The only ones with a "duty cycle" (whatever that is supposed to be!!) i would imagine are the 100 watt thingys.

Yes, come to think of it, i had some Chaos units and they ran all night ok.

Wonder where the term "Duty cycle" actually came from. Source or lightquest I guess!! Never had that term when I was in retail.

I think that it was first introduced when the cheap imported dual lamp CP97 / CP96 300W Effects like the Mushroom first began to trickle into the industry. A lot of the early Chauvet stuff also had a duty cycle made up of XX minutes on and xx minutes to cool down.

About 10 years ago we had an Abstract Gladiator Scenesetter which literally ate mains transformers. It had been installed in a nightclub, as a mirrorball light by a local DJ shop. Afte the third transformer had burnt out I rang Abstract and were told they were meant to have a rest for 10 mins in every 20 mins and they admitted they were going to start fitting fans to them. Needless to say the poor thing was on from 10pm till 3am most nights of the week and ran stinking hot.

In general things are getting better, I think the CE approval has terms dictating temperature etc. However, some stuff still runs searingly hot if left on for more than half an hour or more!

I use 2 Funky Flowers for the smaller gigs. They are 100 watt, £30 each BUT boring. I leave them on all night cos once the bulb gets hot it can't get ant hotter.

I turn them off around 10 minutes before the end and make sure they are the last thing to be dismantled and packed in there exclusive flight case.

They are lightweight and strong but the in built mic is not very sensitive. No DMX at this price of course.

I did have a Funky Dome but that was very ineffective. More like Funky Doom http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/sad.gif

Like anything else it comes down to the obvious if you pay cheap you get cheap quality costs.

alan

STROBE DISCO SHOW

01782 713277

07802 489555