Dj's United

I don't know if my mind is playing games with me or not but over the last 3 or 4 gigs I have done I get the impression that my Mackies do not not pack as much punch and I seem to keep turning them up to achieve the levels I want. I know a lot of this could be down to venue etc so thats' why I have waited to see what they were like in different halls etc.

Any ideas? Could it be the speakers, mixer, leads, paranoia?

I am going to put them in for a service after this weekend but thought I would see if anyone had any similar issues or advice?

Do your ears need syringing? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/tongue.gif .

Actually i'm not joking!, a few years ago I got a buzzing in my ears and everything began to sound duller. Given my occupation and fearing the worst I went to the docs who refered me to the practice nurse for nothing more than an ear syringing!, blimey talk about loud when it had been done! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif. Given that we work in dusty, smokey, loud environments it's not surprising that our ears may be over producing their protective wax - according to the nurse she sees a hell of a lot of musicians with the same problem too.

When you say "pack as much punch" do you mean "loudness", "bass"?

Don't run your Mackie level past 12 o'clock on the back as you're overpowering them.

I find for up to 150 people I'm running the level of the Mackies at 12 o'clock and the VU meter on my mixer is going up about half way.

It might depend on the music you're playing - for new music, R&B etc you may need to run them with a bassbin if you want a thumping bassline.

Yep, the popping is certainly a sign that you need to get 'em checked out!. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif . Put some warm olive oil down 'em for a few days before you go, makes the syringing a lot easier and faster.

John

I never go past 12 on them.... I just seem to be setting the volumes a lot higher than I used to, like you I would only have the volume half way bet lately I have been going past that... don't know if it's my mixer (Vestax PCV 275) but it doesn't seem the most responsive.... turn the gains etc, nothing until you turn a good bit...

Some speakers fresh out of the box will dull a little after they've been given a pounding for a week or so. This is particularly noticeable if you put brand new (but identical) drivers into a cabinet that's been used for a while. Not sure why, may be due to the magnet weakening? I dont know but it happens.

"Some speakers fresh out of the box will dull a little after they've been given a pounding for a week or so"

That's because the diaphrams have turned to pulp. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/tongue.gif

Shouldn't happen to a decent driver, and I can't say I've ever noticed the 'phenomenon', but may well be the case with cheapies.

It happens alot with elderly speakers, even quality ones including the Bose 802, and in particular I remember some Eminence Kappa Pro 400 drivers which I recall were replaced after 18 months, the new ones sounding much more sensitive for a while.

Possible isn't it?

If a slightly damp cone is subjected to large accelerations it might well deflect beyond recovery, leading to the loss of transient response/high end.

On this point, I'm wondering if prolonged exposure to effects smoke could lead to dampened cones. I have noticed it on the lenses of my projectors - a very light condensation-like deposit which needs wiping off occasionally. This of course is the glycerol used in the fluid which doesn't evaporete as water does, and can presumably slightly dampen anything it comes into contact with.

No?

What are they made of then? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/huh.gif

But remember, any fibrous compound could suffer the same problems - doesn't just have to be paper.

Drivers do change with time as they 'wear in'

That's not to say that you need to run in new drivers, they should be capable of taking full power straight out of the box. But the characteristics change as they bed in. Most decent companies will do their measurements to provide specs after they've put a good load of hours (around 50) on them, to give the suspension a chance to become supple. I run some Precision Devices PD123ER 12" on my mids and they took 40 or so hours before they were properly sorted. they now need very little power to achieve the same output that required full power when new. Same for my bass bins.

If the sound has changed for the worse then there may be a problem.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

I could easily be wrong, but the Mackie drivers appear to be made from some sort of polymer.

As for the PAS, I might just keep it quietly playing for a bit at home to see if it helps it run in. The difference in the Mackies was quite surprising after 10 or 20 hours I thought.

Edited by Rendezvous