Dj's United

first song after midnight new years eve

Hi folks

we've got our first new years eve gig and been racking our brains for a tune to play after big ben and auld lang syne. About 180 punters prob aged 30 upwards ( usual mixture ).

Also we're supporting a live duo, would you play a general mix of music each set or would you do it differently ??

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks guys Adam & Mike. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sterb188.gif

AJsounds & Co (the old man)

adamriggs255@hotmail.com

Depends on the crowd and the venue, some DJ's play The Hokey Cokey, or New York, New York, others have thier own preferences.

I normally wait and see and start thinking about in at 11.30pm. !!

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

we've got our first new years eve gig and been racking our brains for a tune to play after big ben and auld lang syne

My calender must be on the blink, cos it's telling me that it's still July http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Surely it would be better to start racking your brains come December?!

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

Hi

Waiting until December to plan your New year's Eve gig is like last minute Xmas shopping. Most DJ's are far to busy thinking about the Xmas gigs to be hastled with planning new Year.

Fist song after midnight, I usually go for Rockin' all over the world, dependant on the crowd obviously.

Just a thought though, if you can, make sure you get a list of songs that the live band are doing so you don't end up duplicating. Get them as far in advance as possible so you can build you set around what they're doing.

Good luck and well done for thinking well ahead.

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

Thanks guys,

nice to hear your opinions I think we've decided to go for Chubby Checker - let's twist again (like we did last year) as we think the punters at this venue like their 50's & 60's, so we thought to carry that theme on after that for a few more tunes and keep New York for the last one maybe.

As it's our first New Years I want to be a bit prepared, had already seen the tip about play list's and live acts somewhere else on the forum but thank's for the reminder. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

As with any gig it's see how it's going I supose.

As for it being July and thinking about december it was such a grotty day weather wise I thought it was winter !!! We'll keep your suggestions in mind and probably fit them in somewhere after midnight as well. Cheers Guys Adam & Mike http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sterb188.gif

AJsounds & Co (the old man)

adamriggs255@hotmail.com

Whilst on the subject of New Year, something I do is to have a list of other countries who celebrate it before us. So at 8 o'clock I would say Happy New Year to XXX countries (my list is currently unavailable), same at 9, 10 etc. It starts to prepare them and also some people in the audience know friends in those countries so it means more to them.

I'll post the list (on 31st Dec probably). http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/wacko.gif

Ummm....depends on the crowd, but I've often found that once you've played "Auld Ang sign" (however its spelt)...at midnight, it doesnt matter what comes next as most people will usually be kissing, hugging, laughing their partners and mates....so something "bland" like "Happy New Year" for the black suit brigade, or the rousing nazel whines of U2's "New Years Day" for the pub-going geezers.

However...here's a tip to avoid all those punters wondering up to you at 11:58, on new years eve, saying "ere, you're late - its 12 oclock already"

For the last 10 years or so, I've taken a radio with me to each of my new years eve shows, plugged its headphone socket into a spare channel on the mixer and tuned into either Radio 2 or Radio 4, after checking which station is playing the live Big Ben Chimes that night. I then plug it on the mic as "our live radio linkup to Big Ben"...

This works fine unless you get some scottish presenter yakking over the chimes.

In venues with poor/no radio reception then I rely on one of those "radio controlled/time signal Clocks" and a jingle of "Big ben chimes".

Another good idea is to record Big Ben chiming and Auld Lang Syne on a MD then into your first new years song so it is all faultless, all you have to do then is make sure you press play at the correct time.

Your Big Event

I use a cd with big ben chimes already on, then after the 12 chime auld lang syne comes in automatically.

Before that I used the radio, like gary.

Hi everyone ;-)

My CD also has Noddy Holder shouting Happy New Year, so when it's on MD I have tracks from 3 or 4 different CD's making up the one 'jingle'

Your Big Event

Like gary, I try to hook up a radio - but if the reception is bad (which it generally is in the hotel I do NYE) then I ask at least three guests to check their watches with mine then I announce earlier in the evening that my watch is the watch we are going by and I make the time so and so..... no questions asked! As for the first song after Auld .... I never know until I am playing Auld! Its something you cant set in stone as you have to go with the flow!

WE LOVE KAREN, AND IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As for the first song after Auld .... I never know until I am playing Auld! Its something you cant set in stone as you have to go with the flow!

Couldn't agree more. In my opinion, flexibility is one of the keys to be a good dj.

As for Auld lang Syne; rather than the boring slow version by The Festival Singers, I have a fast lively cockney version by Chas & Dave which is superb and fits the mood perfectly. It was tucked away on the b side of a low-selling 12" they released in the 80's http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

I once worked with a Chas N Dave lookalikes (??) on a NYE, and they TOLD me that they wanted to see the new year it and I was to tell them when it was midnight, I struck a deal whereas I kept an eye on the time and at 30 seconds to midnight I would fade up the chimes so that at the last chime they could sing Auld Langs Syne. This I duly did, at the correct time, only to find that they only knew the first couple of words, like most of us, and I had to pile them out of the **** by quickly finding my copy and playing it.

Your Big Event

Last year the hotel i dj'ed in asked me to delay my rooms new year by 30 secs coz they had hired just 1 piper for the 2 rooms the guests did moan http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/censored.gif a lot but you can't really argue with the hotel manager to much as we get so much work from them.

QUOTE (Eskie @ Jul 28 2003, 03:35 PM)
I have a fast lively cockney version by Chas & Dave which is superb and fits the mood perfectly. It was tucked away on the b side of a low-selling 12" they released in the 80's http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Thats the version i use

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

The version of Auld Lang Syne that I currently use is Slade's which breaks into You'll Never Walk Alone, it builds up into a rousing stormer.

After that you can usually play anything, if you want to keep the party going there's not much better than Come On Eileen, if opting for a slowie, Perfect year by Dina Carroll is my usual choice.