Dj's United

I'm surprised that you got slapped with a customs charge Ben http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/oops.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/thumbdown.gif

Mine arrived within a week and apart from the postman delivering them to the wrong house I didn't experience any problems.

Interesting. During their duet, would you say that it was Merry that was the most patronising of the two?

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/whistling.gif

The speed of arrival might not have been the senders fault, although I'd stand-by for excuses of public speaking, webcast/podcast commitments, vacations...and wow, possibly even a disco or two... - but fault-attributing aside, some basic courtesy by way of a timely reply to each of your follow-up emails would have been plain & simple "no dvd required" common sense, and common courtesy

Absolutely I wonder if a mail order company has a DVD that he could watch http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having read this with interest i have got to say that for a guy preaching about how to perfect oneself and ones business he should perhaps practice what he preaches and start with his website because for somebody running a business he his missing some vital confidence requirements such as having a contact info & privacy policy and oh whats that hidden at the very bottom of the page is it his phone number not exactly easy to find is it. not to mention the broken links on the site http://www.theonepercentsolution.com/tops_contact.html

there just does not seem to be any terms at all such as important things on any ecommerce site like delievery time, any import duty and who is liable for it and what to do in the event of non delivery if this was a site selling cheap disco equipment nobody would touch it because of the impression it gave

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

I recently ordered V3 of the series and it took anout 2 weeks to arrive. I've emailed Randy with your concerns (HE needs to know that there's a problem) and will let you know of any developments.

QUOTE (BigBen @ Aug 1 2006, 10:55 AM)
Three weeks after ordering I still haven't heard a bean - no confirmation email, no newsletter welcome and no DVD's through the door.

3 weeks?...or 21 days?... Randy was registered and logged on here within a mere few hours (1am UK time) of his "Advertising department" http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/laugh.gif emailing him.

Ok. Held back for a while because I have not yet seen or considered the purchase of the R. B. DVD's.

To survive and prosper in business you have to know your market and be prepaired to offer what the market wants in away that is packaged and priced to suit the market needs.

To be a market leader you have to do just that, lead the market with new idea's. Experiment with new ways of doing business and exploring new ways of presenting old idea's.

The reality of a successful business in my own personal opinion is a mixture of the above. ANYTHING that makes you look at your business and makes you ask yourself "can I do better?" has to be good. Even if it means a few pounds have been 'wasted' it is still a tax deductable item.

How much research do you put into your business?

Jimbo

Digital Fusion Entertainments

Bose L1 system user.

The top professionals in every field you can think of (e.g. sports, politics, business, acting, singing) are constantly getting coaching, new ideas, fresh input and mentoring constantly.

When I stop learning, I stop improving.

Hi everyone!

This has been fascinating reading. It took me a couple of days to read this whole thread, and I have so much I'd like to add, but I'll have to do it in increments.

Let me just start by saying that you are all much more civil in your discussions than the Americans, so I have no problem with the "slagging." (As least as I understand it.)

For now, let me just address this one, as it seems to be the most pressing.

As a special treat I purchased Randy's top package - I signed up for the newsletter in order to get the discount and ordered the Combo Special.  A total outlay of $230.

Three weeks after ordering I still haven't heard a bean - no confirmation email, no newsletter welcome and no DVD's through the door.  I email Randy.

He replies stating the discs should be there anytime and I should have received a newsletter.  He will get back to me this week.

As I understand it, you have now received the DVDs. Correct?

I still haven't had a newsletter or any sort of confirmation other than my Paypal receipt. 

You should have received a confirmation from us showing that your DVDs were shipped. You did not. I apologize. It was an oversight on our part. We are supposed to send that confirmation every time, and it was not done. Our mistake. Sorry.

As for the Newsletter, the Adminstrator shows that both issues #5 & 6 were e-mailed to you. Occasionally, there may be a problem with an e-mail address or a spam filter blocking receipt.

I am still waiting to hear from him.  I have, however, received a little card from the Royal Mail this morning telling me I have some goods to pickup...as soon as I pay a Customs Charge of £23!

But you did hear from me. I responded to you the day after your e-mail saying that I would look into it. I found out about your ship date and told you that you should be getting them any day. I had to wait for an answer from the Newsletter Administrator. He and I were both out of state all of last week at a DJ summit, so coming back meant catching up. We did so as quickly as possible.

As for the $23 ( sorry, I don't know how to make the pound sign), this is the first I've ever heard of it. It's complete news to me.

I thought this guy was meant to be the best.  I thought his whole life revolved around making the experience 1% better for his customers. 

I'm not the best. Nowhere near. My whole life revolves around things outside of work, but I think I understand your point. My whole professional life, maybe? Closer. It's about improving my performance in small increments to make your experience (the client) dramatically better.

Well, I'm a customer and I think he needs to be 100% better -starting with communication, follow up messages, expected delivery times and maybe some honesty when it comes to having to pay excess charges.  

I have to object to this one. Some honesty? That implies dishonesty and there was none. As I've read in this thread, no one else has ever had to pay customs charges, so I don't why you had to. Again, it's the first I've ever heard of it. I'd like more information, and if it turns out to be the norm, then I would certainly let people know.

Wished I had spent the money on something worthwhile now, like a chocolate fire guard or something equally as useful.

As with all of our purchases, if you're unhappy, just send it back for a full refund. I've yet to have a single one come back, but I'm sure that it will happen eventually.

Please send a note to newletter@theonepercentsolution.com and let's try either a different e-mail address or he may able to walk you through a way to get it past your spam blocker, if that's the issue. We want you to get it ASAP.

I'll respond to some of the other posts in this thread over the next couple of days, as I can. I appreciate that there is even a discussion happening on another continent!

Just so you guys know, I'm really a working DJ. Every week, mostly weddings and Mitzvahs, in a small-mid sized market. I'm no guru or holier than thou type of guy. I work very hard at my shows, and the DVDs are something that came after several seminars when people kept asking for something they could take.

I'll talk more about the cost of them later, but for those of you who think I'm getting rich, I'd suggest investigating what the cost is to produce these, and then ask yourself why there aren't 10 volumes out by now, if they're so bloody profitable? (Did I use that word right?)

Thanks for even knowing about it. It's good for my ego!!!

QUOTE (RichardP @ Jun 27 2006, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (EliteDJ @ Jun 27 2006, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (RichardP @ Jun 27 2006, 01:23 PM)
Can't someone with the DVDs translate from American to English and just paraphrase the key points here?  http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/whistling.gif

Rendevouz puts it across really well in his opening post in THIS topic.

No sorry I mean, can't someone just regurgitate the points here, save us having to buy, let alone watch, the DVD http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/tongue.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif

I tried to use that same logic about going to college, but they made attend the classes. I tried to tell them that I had neither the time nor the money to invest, but they insisted. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

Edited by Gary

Randy Bartlett

"Anything you can do, you can do better."

Hi Randy! I'm enjoying your 1% seminar at the Tropicana! I have a Mardi Gras event this weekend and you've given me a great tip with the beads. So simple, but it never occurred to me. Thanks!

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/thumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

god almighty!

tit for tat, grow up people!

If you spent more time investing in your business, and that mean studying marketing rather than slagging off those that have done the studying, you'd probably understand why some of these marketing techniques are so damn obvious you wished you'd seen them presented ages ago.

Personally I think Richard Mills has it spot on, anything that is slightly american is seen as somehow "not what we do over here" mentality.

In the last 3 years or so i've made some very slight but very profound changes in how I present my services to Wedding clients, nothing earth shattering or ground breaking, just 10% more effort so I can charge 100% of what I was charging before.

it's not that I over charge, I now feel that I understand much better what my clients want and can articulate it to them so they understand exactly what they get for their money.

those DJs on here that are "going for the money" are probably doing so because it's their full time income, if they don't earn the money they and their families will bloody well starve.

That's one hell of a motivator for offering a damn good service.

I'd likely charge double what I charge now if I were DJing full time and was relying on the income, but I'd still have to up my game a notch or two.

the overall view of DJs by the general public is that we stand there and press a few buttons. I now get so many customers come to me both before and after functions say we didn't realise you worked so hard, the last DJ we saw was awful.

I was worried that if I put my prices up my bookings would drop off, and for a few months they did, but I read some more books and improve my message, and now I'm booked well towards the end of next year.

There are no new marketing principles out there and anyone who tells you there are is telling porkies, but most business people don't even know how to use the old fundamentals let alone anything new.

Most of you guys know how to drive a car, you've likely been doing it for years, but how many of you would pass your test now...

Same principle here, most of us know how to market, most of us know how to DJ, but it doesn't hurt to take a refresher course.

And I thought the comment about Amway was way out of line and totally irelevant.

Rant over

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

QUOTE (Hugmaster @ Aug 11 2006, 03:03 PM)
I thought the comment about Amway was way out of line and totally irelevant.

So did I.

I went to an Amway presentation once and realised, quickly, that the way to make money was to get a "downline" or whatever it's called.

Absolutley nothing to do with the 1% Solution.

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/offtopic.gif

Someone tried to persuade me to join Amway years ago, and as I was inquisitive, went along to see some 'business plans'.

I decided to give it a miss when the 'Direct Distibuter' suggested I default on a few months' mortgage payments so that I could go to see some bloody stupid presentation somewhere, and buy the starter pack.

"When you get going, you can pay the whole lot off in one go," he said.

Despite apparently having done well with Amway himself, he wouldn't lend me the money..... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/tongue.gif

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/offtopic.gif

Sorry, had to mention it....

QUOTE (Hugmaster @ Aug 12 2006, 04:03 AM)
Personally I think Richard Mills has it spot on, anything that is slightly american is seen as somehow "not what we do over here" mentality.

Thank you Darren! I'll rescue this thread from the hi-jack attempt and say this much:

Before I started communicating (with the American DJs many of you have been so quick to discredit), I charged £133 for an average function. I turned up with good gear and played great music, but that's about all.

Since learning from these DJs and purchasing a variety of educational materials (about business in general, sales, marketing and DJ techniques), my starting fee is now £498.

I get a massive number of referrals now.

I don't have to spend huge amounts to advertise in the Yellow Pages book now. (Basic listings only)

I don't attend Wedding Shows any more.

I enjoy my work more.

I deal with nicer (truly!) people.

The fact is that without learning from others in the industry who were more talented, more successful, harder working and more polished than I was, I would never have achieved this change in just 4 years.

If you're happy with where you you are in business right now, then you're probably as good now as you'll ever get. If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always got.

• 2 weeks later...

Taking this thread right back to its original point - The 1% Solution. I finally watched the DVD a couple of nights ago. Others may have mentioned some of the following points already, for which I apologise but I ain't gonna read this entire thread again!

Firstly, you know I had problems with communication following the order. No confirmation, no automated emails, nothing. For three weeks I rushed home from work every day to see if it had arrived. I emailed Randy, he replied within 24 hours stating that he would look into it the following week. The DVD's arrived early the following week but they weren't delivered because I had to pay VAT on them. Following my purpose made trip to the Post Office and having made a cheque out to cover the VAT, I finally had my DVD's after almost four weeks. Not a good start.

This poor run of luck continued when I opened the DVD. It was loose in the box. The back of the DVD, around the middle, is heavily marked but not scratched. However, after watching it on a PC the quality is quite poor. I'm not sure if this is my computer, the marks on the disc or whether the DVD is poorly made/manufactured.

The 47 minute DVD covers a number of areas about how a DJ should do his job. I estimate that half of this does not relate to the UK wedding market at all, certainly not my business. A hefty portion of time is spent discussing the staging and setup of the grand entrance. If any one is involved in stage-managing weddings then this may be helpful.

The rest of the DVD discusses a lot of general DJ nuances...keep your area tidy and presentable, smile, dance and look as if you are enjoying yourself, if you have to hold paper then slip it in a black folder, posture, be welcoming, etc. All very good advice, if a little basic, that any DJ worth his salt will be doing already.

A couple of areas stood out - consider your objective for doing just about anything but especially mic work and the 'game/s'.

Mic work is the one area of DJ'ing where a lot of guys do not feel comfortable at all. Anything that helps can only be good. As a DJ who never got to learn the trade at a holiday camp or under the wings of an accomplished entertainer, I don't know many games or activities. Randy does, and he plays the centre-piece give-away game to perfection - even though some punters didn't look as if they were enjoying themselves too much...

Overall, I guess I'm disappointed by the end result. Like most marketing materials you always thought you were going to learn more. Conversely, I should be happy because it confirms that I am doing OK. Randy offers a money back guarantee with this product if not satisfied. Even though I had a poor start and the DVD has not quenched my thirst for knowledge, it's a useful little tool to show a future roadie/wannabe DJ.

Need to watch disc 2 now…

[insert quirky comment]

Just to show that not everyone is against the DVD's, there are 4 things that I picked up from watching them.

Better planning - I already planned well, with the pre-event meeting and asking lots of quesitons, but I did pick up on a few more questions which I've now added in.

Music drops - Must admit I'd never thought of them as a key feature to make a difference to an event, but it does work on the right occasion. ie: The wedding I did recently where they had a useless toastmaster, or the birthday where the birthday boy started to talk about underpants and commenced to show them.

Direction by mic - This is something that I definitlely used to be guilty of, and now make a concious effort to avoid if possible.

Repetitive phrases - "Right then", "Alright then", "Now then" etc. I was most definitely guilty of this and am now trying to ween myself out of it.

No doubt, if I watch it again in the near future, I may well pick up on some other things.

Edited by High Fidelity

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

QUOTE (Rendezvous @ Aug 12 2006, 07:36 AM)
Since learning from these DJs and purchasing a variety of educational materials (about business in general, sales, marketing and DJ techniques), my starting fee is now £498.

I enjoy my work more.

I deal with nicer (truly!) people.

In my experience the higher the fee, the more reasonable and easy to deal with are the clients.

QUOTE (BigBen @ Aug 25 2006, 09:20 AM)

The DVD's arrived early the following week but they weren't delivered because I had to pay VAT on them.  Following my purpose made trip to the Post Office and having made a cheque out to cover the VAT, I finally had my DVD's after almost four weeks.  Not a good start.

I still don't get this part. Yours is the only case I've ever heard of this. How much was it? What is the American equivalent? Is this standard in your country? Would we be better served sending it UPS instead of Postal?

This poor run of luck continued when I opened the DVD.  It was loose in the box.  The back of the DVD, around the middle, is heavily marked but not scratched.  However, after watching it on a PC the quality is quite poor.  I'm not sure if this is my computer, the marks on the disc or whether the DVD is poorly made/manufactured.

We did have a few of these problems with V.1. Not very many, but enough to know it really happened. Some of the CDs would come loose. Occasional pixiliation of the screen. Usually just enough to be slightly irritating, but a problem nonetheless. I think we had to replace about 3-4 along the way. They usually play much better in a DVD player rather than in a computer. (You'll notice the edges of the backdrop on a computer, but not on a TV.) We learned a lesson from that one.

The second and third DVDs eliminated all of those problems.

The 47 minute DVD covers a number  of areas about how a DJ should do his job.  I estimate that half of this does not relate to the UK wedding market at all, certainly not my business. 

Not knowing much about the UK market, can you give me some examples from V.1 that DON'T apply to your market? To me, it seems so universal that it should apply to any entertainment, but as I say, I don't know your market.

A hefty portion of time is spent discussing the staging and setup of the grand entrance.  If any one is involved in stage-managing weddings then this may be helpful.

Most DJs in the US ignore this as well, which is the whole point. Proper staging of everything from the introductions to the toasts, spotlight dances and endings changes the outcome.

The rest of the DVD discusses a lot of general DJ nuances...keep your area tidy and presentable, smile, dance and look as if you are enjoying yourself, if you have to hold paper then slip it in a black folder, posture, be welcoming, etc.  All very good advice, if a little basic, that any DJ worth his salt will be doing already.

You would think. But then, I'd think every DJ would have stopped saying "Ladies and Gentlemen" or "How about a nice round of applause?" twenty times a night too.

Randy does, and he plays the centre-piece give-away game to perfection - even though some punters didn't look as if they were enjoying themselves too much...

What's a punter? You guys really need to learn English. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

Need to watch disc 2 now…

After you've done so, I'd love a REAL honest critique and dialogue of both DVDs. Because you guys are so far away, I find this concept awesome, and would love to discuss it. I'll keep an eye out for when you're done watching it.

Edited by 5star

Randy Bartlett

"Anything you can do, you can do better."

What's a punter? You guys really need to learn English.  http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

A guest http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif We invented the language you just need to catch up http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

PS - although it shows that I edited the above post none of the content / replies were changed I just needed to remove a stray '/QUOTE' so that it was easier to read.

Edited by 5star

What's a punter? You guys really need to learn English.  http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

When I was a coach driver, and a taxi driver, or even a bus driver, passengers were always refered to as punters.

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

QUOTE (High Fidelity @ Aug 31 2006, 08:08 PM)

When I was a coach driver, and a taxi driver, or even a bus driver, passengers were always refered to as punters.

That's right - "punter" is a slang term for "client" and used by people in all types of work - from turf accountants to call girls.

Sorry Randy ( I have the DVDs, by the way ) it's you who needs to learn English!!

Hi Randy ! Thanks for joining in the discussion of your dvds. I am a uk dj who lives and works in Norway which again is a completely different kind of market as romance is a foreign word in this icey country ! However i would like to let you know that i have not seen your dvds but through this forum and especially through the postings of richard rendezvous i have taken several of the ideas and adapted them to my market with great success ! Unfortunately not all djs have the ability to adapt things for their market so perhaps your next dvd could be a little more directed towards an international market ? just a thought !

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

QUOTE (spinner @ Aug 31 2006, 09:16 PM)
QUOTE (High Fidelity @ Aug 31 2006, 08:08 PM)

That's right - "punter" is a slang term for "client" and used by people in all types of work - from turf accountants to call girls.

Sorry Randy ( I have the DVDs, by the way ) it's you who needs to learn English!!

The term punter, I thought, related to any of the guests, rather than the hirer/client.

EG) One of the punters kept coming up to me during important microphone announcements, shouting for the record he requested 10 minutes previously.

Of course, when speaking publically, or to the hirer before/after the event - the term "punter" would be exchanged for "your guests". "Punter" is just an informal, almost slang-type term for "guest" - much in the same way that "Quid" might be used for "pounds" or "Buck" might be used for Dollars.

I've watched the 1% DVD's all the way through once, and re-watched a couple of the sections (sorry Randy - watched them on PC, so saw the edge of the curtains) and for me, the beneficial parts were the common-sense refreshers on pre-event preparation, rather than the "during the event" items, some of which don't fit the (current?) UK marketplace - which of course, is no detriment to Randy - theres no reason or need for him to know the UK market.

Some differences that have been discussed previously, are that the majority of UK weddings do not have an all-day presence by the DJ - rather, the DJ will only be required from 7:00pm, thru until midnight or 1am. This means that typically the Bride and Groom do not require a grand entrance.

Recently, we've also covered that typically, when the DJ arrives at 6pm, ready to set up a reasonable amount of lighting and sound - the venue often has to "evacuate" all the guests from that room, allowing them to roam around the rest of the venue grounds aimlessly for 45 mins while the DJ frantically tries to meet un-contracted expectations of making up the hour that the daytime wedding over-ran by - by somehow setting up in minus 15 minutes, instead of their usual 30~60 minutes - due to the evening room, typically being the same room that the wedding breakfast was held in.

QUOTE (randy bartlett @ Aug 31 2006, 05:25 PM)
I still don't get this part.  Yours is the only case I've ever heard of this.  How much was it?  What is the American equivalent?  Is this standard in your country?  Would we be better served sending it UPS instead of Postal?

Hi Randy.

The following label was attached to my package:

http://filmcrewe.com/images/USLabel.jpg

It clearly states that the package contains DVD's to the value of $200. Therefore, the British Postal Service stuck another label on my package:

http://filmcrewe.com/images/UKvat.jpg

As you can see, imported goods over £18 (£36 for gifts) are subject to VAT. The Post Office charge £4 admin on top of this as "...a contribution for presenting this packet to the Customs."

Therefore, I paid an extra £22.98 for my DVDs which is roughly $43 at today's rate.

My only advice, to stop this happening again, would be to withhold the value of the package or make it less than £18/£36. Either way, you should consider placing a warning in the buying process on your website.

QUOTE (randy bartlett)
Not knowing much about the UK market, can you give me some examples from V.1 that DON'T apply to your market? To me, it seems so universal that it should apply to any entertainment, but as I say, I don't know your market.

A large chunk of your DVD deals with stage managing events. In particular the arrival/entrance of the entire bridal party or just the bride and groom walking through the door. To the best of my knowledge...this is not for the British market. In all my years as a guest, band-member, DJ and groom (only the once!) at weddings, I have never seen a 'grand entrance' other than at the church which was complete with all the pomp and circumstance you would expect. I think this goes far deeper than just asking the client though. Attitudes differ so much between our countries for so many reasons...heritage, upbringing, education, further education. America is so much more brash and in your face whilst us Brits tend to be more withdrawn. The only time most Brits come out of their shell, I'm ashamed to say, is when they're drunk. Hence the only time the bride and groom are happy to be the centre of attention outside of the church is possibly to do a grand exit at the end of a drink fuelled party. No amount of preparation can cater for a drunken crowd so stage managing the end of the night is usually pointless.

QUOTE (randy bartlett)
Most DJs in the US ignore this as well, which is the whole point. Proper staging of everything from the introductions to the toasts, spotlight dances and endings changes the outcome.

I couldn't agree more. As a DJ with experience of videoing weddings I believe that a wedding should be a fully choreographed event. However, fewer brides, in my opinion, are opting for a Master of Ceremonies nowadays. The hotel's wedding co-ordinator may bark out a few instructions in their absence. Again, I think this is down to attitudes - watching some of the entrances on your video - even the good ones - makes me cringe. Not because they are bad but because of my British upbringing. Can't really explain why...but we don't have beauty pageants or prom queens. Any beauty competition in the UK seems to involve bikini's or wet t-shirts nowadays.

I don't want to kick-off a big debate about the reasons why - let's just accept that US and British attitudes differ. Stage managing grand entrances, spotlight dances, etc. are for you guys over the pond. Heavy drinking and bad teeth are for us.

Thanks for taking the time to come on here and answer some questions Randy. At the end of the day you're just a DJ trying to share some of your ideas with other DJ's. For that, you should be applauded.

[insert quirky comment]