Dj's United

Crap, Crap and even more Crap

Wow after reading all the replys, I think it will be easier to predict Saturdays Lottery numbers than the type of music that pleases everybody.

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/bash.gif

QUOTE (swanside @ May 2 2006, 09:28 PM)
Wow after reading all the replys, I think it will be easier to predict Saturdays Lottery numbers than the type of music that pleases everybody.

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/bash.gif

1,2,3,4,5,6 thats what andy had last week

The ability to fill a dance floor and knowing what to play and when to play it comes with experience of reading people and watching reactions - not with going round tables asking for requests. IMHO that just makes you look as though you cannot think of what to play for yourself. If people want requests they will generally come and ask you and as long as you don't promise to play their track next you can insert it later if you find yourself with a similar set of tracks that are working well.

However, we all have nights every now and again where it would not matter what you played, the people will not get up and dance simply because they don't want to, even if you are playing their favourite track. Watch out for people tapping their feet to the music, that will tell you if they are entertained at least even if they don't want to dance.

Otherwise just be as professional as you can until the end of the evening and then look forward to the next gig.

Aaron

QUOTE (Clockwork_Orange @ May 2 2006, 11:46 PM)
The ability to fill a dance floor and knowing what to play and when to play it comes with experience of reading people and watching reactions - not with going round tables asking for requests. IMHO that just makes you look as though you cannot think of what to play for yourself.

I think its a combination of several methods - theres only so much to be gained, or read into by counting tapping toes, dancefloor population and migration, and the various other visual cues.

However, as a Public Relations exercise ("ahhh, it makes a change to see a DJ who really gives stuff about what the audience want, rather than playing what he/she wants to 'ear") some might say that prompting exact requests, in any form, is unbeatable, as part of that combination.

QUOTE (Clockwork_Orange @ May 2 2006, 11:46 PM)
If people want requests they will generally come and ask you and as long as you don't promise to play their track next you can insert it later if you find yourself with a similar set of tracks that are working well.

Since inviting SMS requests over the last 3 or 4 years, I've noticed an increase in the number of valid requests received throughout the night, even over and above the number of requests that I gain through putting request slips out on the tables.

Its possible that the more methods you give people to make requests, the more likely they are to request something. Maybe some people are concerned that if they physically wander up to the DJ with a request, they're going to have to spend the next 3 minutes, in full view of everyone, yelling their request at their best volume, 2 inches into the DJ's ear...after several attempts of the DJ saying "AYE?, YOU WANT WHAT?"... Giving them two other options seem to help.

The use of request slips also acts as a superb "Client winner" during the clients selection process (eg: which disco shall I book?). Whenever I've mentioned that we place request slips on each table at functions, its always met with a postive reply from the hirer.

Edited by Gary

I think it will be easier to predict Saturdays Lottery numbers than the type of music that pleases everybody.

Exactly!, which is part of what a client pays for when they book a DJ, as opposed to hiring the gear for less and doing it all themselves.

Whilst Technology may replace the way in which music is created, stored and played they have yet to recreate the personality of Humans.

So remember that, the next time some drunk comments that anybody can be a DJ because it just involves "playing music". http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Gary @ May 3 2006, 11:41 AM)
The use of request slips also acts as a superb "Client winner" during the clients selection process (eg: which disco shall I book?). Whenever I've mentioned that we place request slips on each table at functions, its always met with a postive reply from the hirer.

used request slips for the first time at last gig,worked really well loads of request came in problably 85% we would of played anyway but some other great tracks came in as well

QUOTE (djwesty @ May 2 2006, 08:48 PM)
for me it was a hard night, and felt it showed my inexpirience in handling such situations

Just picking up on this point...I have learned to act confident with whatever I do in DJ'ing. So, when something bad happens, you sort it in a confident manner.

In this situation, you talk to the person, confidently explaining why you are doing what you are doing...something along the lines of:

"I have to play requests for everyone in the room. If you don't like this song then it will give you a chance to get a drink and have a short rest. I'll be playing your song shortly."

Now then, this doesn't always work - drunks, aggressive women (who are a lot worse than drunks!), kids, etc. In which case, you do what you think is best but always talk to them and your audience. As a last resort I have often used the mic to sort situations out. Tell the audience your predicament and let them make a call:

"Listen everyone, I've got a number of people asking for 70's glam but this young lady would prefer me to play [insert track/genre]. I'm happy if you guys are, so what do you want to hear?"

It sounds really cheesey writing it down like this, but in a party situation it does work. Just remember confidence and communication is key.

[insert quirky comment]

Get it all the time with karaoke.

People wanting to sing out of turn.

Complaining that they have waited to long.

Saying can they sing now as the Taxi is waiting. Usually they sit down afterwards if you let them sing.

This mic is S==t ..I sound much better than this (in the bath maybe). Change to an old Mic Turn and up reverb.

I am a friend of the Landlord/Bride/Groom they want me to sing now.

I've only sung once He/she has sung three times now "Yes but you have sung with your mates in a group four times already"

Turn up the Mic I Can't hear myself " Try singing into it then, with your mouth and not your belly button"

How come He /She has gone straight on and I am still waiting for my 2, 3, etc turn. "He/She has not sung tonight yet and just handed in a request at the end of this rotatation

How come the landlord gets to sing when he/she wants. "he/she's paying me"

Just a few of the more common one's. Never had a night where at least one of the above gets mentioned. Usually deal with the persistant que jumpers/complainers by putting it out for public vote over the mic.

It is about confidence. My day job involves working with people who have challenging and unpredictable behaviour so I guess that the training helps alot.

There is one type I fear http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/fright.gif this is not sexist, it is a fact..... the female 30 or 40 something thats had one to many. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/fright.gif

Best form of defence ...still working on that one http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/hide.gif

Jimbo

Digital Fusion Entertainments

Bose L1 system user.

thanks for the advice,it was one of my first couple of gigs and i think i was trying to hard to please if that is possible the lady was paying the bill,so i wanted to give them what they wanted,she just didnt know what she wanted,another small point worth mentioning,when we turned up at that gig,the landlady said we were lucky tobe there as they only confimed with the hall 30 mins before we turned up.do you guys check with venues beforehand,what would you do if you turned up and couldnt get in?

Westy ! Where possible always do checks on everything beforehand. I always try and visit venues a couple of weeks in advance to check access, power etc then i know what i am going to !

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

One of the worst things I hate (expirience from singing but also applies to dj's) is when you get the punters that have had a skin full, and start shouting

"Play some decent Stuff"

So you ask what is decent and the reply is

"i dont know - Decent stuff" http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/wallbash.gif What can you do?

Know doubt 50% of us here have had this happen at some time. Just keep thinking of the money, then take it and run. You cant please eveybody.

www.boogiebootsdisco.co.uk

www.ajay-online.com

www.kkj-studios.co.uk

"Play some decent Stuff"

Unless it's constructive, I treat that line with much the same contempt as the police treat "Go catch some real criminals" comments when issuing speeding fines!

or " as soon as i get some decent guests i will play some decent music " or " well sir judging by what you are wearing i thought the music suited your image " http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Edited by C.S

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

hello

i allways try and put little request forms around the size a bussines cards, jus saying title, artist, and year. with a little note saying please pass this on to the d.j who will be more than happy to try and forfill your rquest. That way people can feel free to ask for requests!

sorry to hear out your night thought, nothings worst than when the mic sounds c:cense:p

cheers

VIBE Mobile Disco's

A professional Service

For all ages and occassions

QUOTE (C.S @ May 5 2006, 07:40 AM)
or " as soon as i get some decent guests i will play some decent music " or " well sir  judging by what you are wearing i thought the music suited your image "

If you can diffuse a situation with humour I think both the crowd and the individual will appreciate your efforts. I thought about making up some placards so that when somebody shouted something I would simply hold up the relevant board...for example:

I press pause on the live CD..I would hold up the http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/oops.gif board.

Someone asks for Gary Glitter..I hold up the http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/Protest_emoticon.gif board.

Somebody falls over on the dance floor..I hold up the http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/wasntme-sign.gif board

You get the idea.

[insert quirky comment]

If you can diffuse a situation with humour I think both the crowd and the individual will appreciate your efforts. I thought about making up some placards so that when somebody shouted something I would simply hold up the relevant board

I will have to try this out. Thanks for the tip bigben

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/thanks.gif

www.boogiebootsdisco.co.uk

www.ajay-online.com

www.kkj-studios.co.uk