Dj's United

Calling anyone mechanical...!!!

On the way home on Thursday night I noticed a vibration through my steering wheel on my Pugeot Boxer van. It has done nearly 31000 miles and has already had both front wheel bearings replaced in October for the MOT. It is a 51 plate.

My initial thoughts were that the wheels needed balancing. I had that done and they were out, 15g on one side and 65 on the other.

Last night I had the same problem, however it seems to be speed sensative. It starts at about 40 and disappears by 50 MPH.

There is no problem at speeds greater than 50, the van holds 65-70mph no problem at all on the motorway and there is no vibration.

Anyone got any ideas as to the possible cause??? Not being a mechanic, I am a bit stuck!!

It can still be the balancing. Does the whole van shake or just the steering wheel?

Ner ner ner ner... ner ner, ner can't touch this.

My biggest influence was Vera Lynn and I enjoy winding down with my cat - tabetha whilst listening to bing crosby playing on the gramophone.

... You wish ....

<br>Buy and sell advertising www.adsbay.co.uk </center>

I was told at the Tyre place they usually only balance the front two.

It feels like the steering wheel is the only part to shake.

Very Strange!!

QUOTE (iany @ May 28 2006, 02:46 PM)
If it's a cv joint, you'll hear a knocking when you've got full lock on.

No, that doesn't happen.

Another guy i have spoken to reckons there is a knuckle type joint that may have gone.

Into the garage Tuesday I guess.... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/533.gif

I am assuming it is a steering rack.

Mounting brackets loose or rubbermounts worn.

Track rod ends or worn steering rack.

Loose wheel nuts.

Damaged wheel or rim

Damaged tyre.

Tracking

Wheel balance (try swapping each with spare)

Wheel bearing.

Steering column UJ worn

Loose steering wheel.

If its Macpherson strut, top bearing or lower ball joint.

If its Torsion bar or wish bone, rubber mounts and ball joints

Worn shock absorbers

Worn or damaged disc

Damaged or worn drive shaft

worn CV joint

It could be any of the above (or more)

Jimbo

Digital Fusion Entertainments

Bose L1 system user.

Been to the local garage today, it is apparently a driveshaft. They can do it friday.

Thanks to all. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Cheezy @ Jun 12 2006, 12:01 PM)
A new drive shaft at 31k? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/sad.gif Had a rubber boot perished?

Cheezy
Nightsounds

Well, the story continues in a way...

There is a place that is fairly local to the garage I use who re-furbish driveshafts. So the Garage had my van last Tuesday, sent both driveshafts to be checked....only to find the guy who does that is on holiday. So, they check the shorter of the two, that one is fine. That only leaves the longer one. They couldnt check that one til he comes back, so they say. Anyhow, they re-built the van so I could have it back on Friday...same problem still exists.

I have done an experiment. I get up to 40 and the vibration starts, knock it out of gear or press in the clutch and the vibration goes whilst we coast along. re-apply the drive and the vibration comes back, still disappears by 50 though!!

The van has so far had:

Two new wheel bearings for the front and one on the rear offside.

Inner drive bearing

New horn

Indicators no longer self cancel

Exhaust.

Three tyres.

Milage today: 30844 (from new, it had 400 on the clock when I bought it off the main dealers)

I WILL NEVER,EVER BUY ANOTHER BOXER VAN!!!

I know your problem Andy.

I have just checked my van, a Merceds Vito van, and remembering back to my last van, a Vauxhall Astra, it too, had the same number of tyres too, both have FOUR tyres, not the three that you mention.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

QUOTE (ADS Entertainments @ Jun 12 2006, 12:35 PM)
I know your problem Andy.

I have just checked my van, a Merceds Vito van, and remembering back to my last van, a Vauxhall Astra, it too, had the same number of tyres too, both have FOUR tyres, not the three that you mention.

Motorised transportation hasn't reached you yet,half-wit!

Your pony & trap only has two wooden wheels!!

Just shows you can't even count!!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/tongue.gif

For the vibration to go out of gear or depresing the clutch suggests the source of the vibration is the engine or the clutch itself. But if it was engine or clutch creating the vibration it would do it at a certain engine speed, irresepective of what gear you were in.

Are the engine mountings OK?

A speed dependent mis-fire?

Cheezy

Nightsounds

if it only vibrates whilst idling or of you press the clutch in, then it is the clutch release bearing

DJ FOGGY

PROFESSIONAL DJ+KJ+SOLO VOCALIST

WEDDING SINGER+COVERED UP DUO

TRADITIONAL SCOTTISH PIPER

S.I.A LICENCED DOOR SUPERVISOR

COVERING NORTH WEST AND UK

WEB SITE=www.makemyday2012.co.uk

E-MAIL: djfpromos2@yahoo.co.uk

MOBILE: 07591 755 743

PLI: YES

PAT TESTED: YES

MU MEMBER 490895

CRB CLEARED 09th Feb 2011

No Mis-fire.

Not engine speed dependant.

It has us all foxed, so on Monday it is having new (well, re-con) driveshafts fitted.

ITS FINALLY FIXED!

The van is done! It was the off side drive shaft, which was taken off and after several days, refurbished and re-fitted.

I used a local recommended "back street garage", who were very slow, but have done the job well and only charged me £170 inc VAT.

Off to buy the chaps some beers now........ Have you ever asked a main dealer for a price............. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/fear.gif

QUOTE (Kingy @ Jun 12 2006, 12:30 PM)
The van has so far had:

Two new wheel bearings for the front and one on the rear offside.
Inner drive bearing
New horn
Indicators no longer self cancel
Exhaust.
Three tyres.

Milage today: 30844 (from new, it had 400 on the clock when I bought it off the main dealers)

I WILL NEVER,EVER BUY ANOTHER BOXER VAN!!!

It doesn't say a lot for the Reliability of the Peugeot Boxer van!

We have had one Peugeot & one Citroen, & that was enough to put us off of getting anything French ever again.

Boxers are dreadful...I had one (albeit an older version) and had nothing but trouble. I actually work for the transport department of my local newspaper, and all the drivers swear by the last model Transit (I believe they're called Smiley's) because they are rock solid and anything that needs doing on them can be done within a day and by your average back street mechanic...which is important!

I have one for the disco (a LWB) and at work I drive the latest model (turbo deisel). I must admit the new one drives superb, like a car!, but the old one has the better suspension and is at lot simpler under the bonnet.