Dj's United

How many started off as a student DJ?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So how many started off as a student DJ whilst in education then?

Perhaps you are still a student DJ or have fond memories of being a student DJ.

What was it like all those years ago! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/cool.gif or http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/thumbdown.gif

Please share your experiences and vote above.

I started DJing at 17 when I was doing my A Levels - and continued DJing twice a week throughout my University career. I graduated last summer and have taken it up as a full time job!

Getting the experience and doing the £30 gigs whilst being a student really paid off.

I am mainly a "student DJ" - ie playing to student oriented bars and clubs

Started Roadeing when i was 14 just for the cash. Soon spent all the cash i earnt (plus many many hundreds more) on my own roadshow. Now, at the tender age of 17 i have been running my own show as a full time job since February time when i finished college. Great fun! Although i am going back to college in September to study Business and Managment skills so i can run my business more effeciantly, so i guess i will be a student DJ once more! Hopeing to get into the student bar's and put on a couple of student nightclub nights when i go back to college in September!!!

I started Djing at University (in 1995), and I still do it now. Lots of good memories past and present.

Djing to students has many advantages. Firstly it is a great 'shop window' and you get plenty of work out of it.

Having your friends at every gig was fun. Girls seem to like you.

Working at the Students Union is quite a safe environment, not much trouble etc.

You can take a few risks, the crowd is normally quite open to new and different styles of music. They are there to have a good time, it is a good place to learn your trade and make mistakes.

At our Uni the equipment is generally good, and you get crew and lights personnel - good if you want to feel like a rock star!

You get in to the SU's other nights for free, get to see other bands/DJs free, free drinks, get to meet 'D' list celebrities.

If you get friendly with the ents manager and see how the operation works, you can indulge yourself, put your own nights on etc.

You can sort yourself out with free music promos.

Only disadvantages I can think of -

That it is a young persons game, and you may feel a bit self conscious if you are 'old'.

Term only runs for half the year, so you have to 'make hay' in term time, or get other gigs when they have all left for summer.

Edited by Dave80s

Blew my student loan cheque on speakers and mixer, all worth it in http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif the end!!

I think that was 5 years ago now

Mobile Disco based in the Chew Valley & South Bristol

I'm still at uni (finals start on thursday - so i should be working!) and DJing is a brilliant way to pay the bills. Do mostly agency work as don't have time to do all the paperwork etc while i'm here but my terms are only 8weeks long so DJing every week in the holidays still leaves me with plenty of money to waste on going out!

Even if i'm a bit short during the term i can pop home for one night - do a gig and not visit the cashpoint for a couple of weeks!

Only sad thing is that once i get my degree i can't really see myself DJing anymore - both because i won't need the money (hopefully) and won't have the time!

One more year in me left though!!!