Dj's United

The interview drought is over http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/smile.gif yes after a gap of 2 months you can read the exploits of the latest member to sit in the hot seat

1. What is your DJU Forum Alias?

monkeebiz

2. What is your Real Name, Age, Location & Marital Status?

Chris Dickens, 39, Aylesbury, Live with soon to be Wife (and very tolerant) Mel. (And No I'm not allowed to DJ my own wedding!!)

3. What is the Name of your Disco?

monkeebiz.co.uk

4. How long have you been a DJ?

I've been around DJ'ing for some 10 years, monkeebiz started in Jan this year.I also have my own show on Stoke Mandeville Hospital Radio

5. What inspired you to become a DJ

I love my music, meeting people and the fact that no two gigs are the same.

6. Are you a member of a DJ Association / Union?

NADJ, DJU, Musicians Union

7. What is your favourite type of function now? (eg: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, etc)

Definately the "older" parties (40th/50th), boy do they know how to have a good time.

8. What’s the worst/most embarrassing thing you've done in front of an audience?

Most embarrasing thing would be announcing the Bride and Groom into the reception and everyone standing to give a clapping ovation........it was one of the bar staff walking through the door!!!

9. If you could go back to the beginning of your DJ career is there anything that you'd do differently? (eg: The gear that you bought, the way you promoted/advertised yourself)

I'd have started by myself a lot sooner and promoted on the web before now.

10. What do you feel you offer the public that convinces them to book you rather than "the next guy/girl"?

My personal service, I liase with my clients fully and everything is explained and transparent.I "sell" the service and at the end of the initial call I will always ask for the business.

11. Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadn't? and why?

Rope light....euwwww!!

12. What's your next DJ purchase likely to be?

I'll be going digital this year for definate.

13. If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

A machine gun mount for those repeat requests!!!

14. What was the worst equipment failure suffered during a gig?

Start/cue button went on one of my decks a couple of weeks ago, NIGHTMARE!! (I hadn't bought the backup....lesson learnt)

15. What do you think is the best thing about DJ'ing?

The look on people faces when they've had a good night, meeting all kinds of different people

16. What do you think is the worst thing about DJ'ing?

Lugging the gear home after a looong night.

17. What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything)?

The Lottery win I'm expecting any decade now!!!

18. How do you think DJ'ing will change, in the next 5 years?

Not so much how I think it will change but how I think it should change, get a proper licencing authority set up and weedle out the flipping cowboys.

19. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

"Excuse me, are you the DJ??"

20. Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

Be yourself, always underpromise and overdeliver. Always had good advice from this site.

21. And worst advice you were ever given?

Don't go out on your own, you'll never make it work (Idiot!!)

22. How do you keep up to date with music? (eg Promo monthly CDs, Downloads, Purchase from retailer)

Various ways, mainly pro dj, mastermix etc. (and the obvious Now CD from Tescos).

23. Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill the dance floor for you!

Paris to Berlin, Instant replay, Grease Megamix

24. Mode of transportation.

VW Passatt (yes it does all fit in...........just).

25. What is the furthest that you've travelled from home for a single gig?

40 miles

26. Approximately how many gigs have you done to date?

On my own, from Jan this year 21.

27. What is the largest/smallest audience numbers you've played to?

Smallest 35 (that was all they'd invited) Largest 400.

28. What is your main (most successful) form of advertising your disco?

Internet and word of mouth/recomendation.

29. Have you ever had someone try to claim off you? (eg: Public Liability Insurance or other such legal action)

No

30. Add any additional comments which you would like to include here...

Be yourself and honest with your client. Always follow up a gig with a phone call to say thanks for the booking and always end with the line "who do you know that may be requireing my service in the next 12 months" it's called referral and it works.

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/notworthy.gif Damn good interview Brilliant well done mate some very good advice and tips in it as well http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/notworthy.gif

Nice one. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

They don't call me Krazy for nothing! Krazy by name - Krazy by nature !!!

Age doesn't matter, unless you're a cabinet!

K K Disco

good interview!

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'