MARTIN 812 ROBOSCANS

Here's the details from the 812 manual.

Martin 150 W
                  Metal Halide         Osram HTI 150        GE CSS 150
Martin P/N     97010107               97010108              97010104
Average Life     2000 h                     750 h                 1000 h
Color Temp.      5000K                    6500K                 5000K
Output               900 lm                   1200 lm               900 lm

The Osram is prob the most available and come in around £45-£50 each.

Is this because you've just seen the set of 4 'sans' lamps on ebay perchance?

A set of 4 without lamps is not really worth more than £150 max. 16 (with lamps) went for under £600 recently

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

The GE CSS150 are the cheapest option on these, they're just not as white as the HTI150 but they are whiter than any halogen. I last saw CSS150 lamps at around 27 quid.

A nice scanner in their day, there are still lots around in chain nightclubs, quite reliable really, built like tanks and top quality, they were very expensive when new, not the brightest in the world, about the same as a 250W halogen but with way better lamp life. They benefit from regular cleaning!

I think these will work with both Martin RS485 and the usual DMX512..(?)

http://main.isv.ro/img/roboscan812.jpg

As you say, they're getting on a bit now, but given that you can pick up 4 with lamps for around £350 I don't see why anyone in the market for some basic scans wouldn't get the Martins over any of the cheaper new offerings from ACME, Chauvet, etc

As I said in the post about Martin lights, the 812's have some additional features like being able to set crossfade and speed times by DMX if your controller doesn't support this. Scans always look better when they're smoothly gliding about rather than just jumping from one position to another.

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

Yeah, to be fair most DMX generic desks have programmable fade times these days, (its part of the art of making a nice smooth program) but I know the earlier Martin controllers had to rely on the scanner's internal fade time. Didn't Martin call this Vector vs Tracking modes or something..? The last Martin scans I programmed were in fact a batch of 812's working on a 2308 controller

I have loads of them. They dont HAVE to use the internal vector mode. If you controller does fades then thats fine with them. I use them alongside Robocolour III's (use same internals apart from gobo wheel as 812s).

They are very reliable and would use them over and of this cheap chinese rubbish anyday. They are sturdy work horses, as someone else mentioned they do collect cack so do well to clean them regularly.

I use them with both a 2510 controller and also lightjockey sometimes, though if your using purely 812's I highly recommend the 2504 as these are programmed specifically for 812s and give an amazing show thats easy to operate to leave you time to DJ.

I have replaced most of my equipment over the years sound wise but I can see the 812's running for a fair few years to go.

As some have said, you still seem them installed in venues around the country to date.

Lighting installer/supply & repair agent

<<< Gig-Light - Lighting Hire & Maintenance Services >>>

WWW.GIG-LIGHT.CO.UK / Enquiries@gig-light.co.uk