Dj's United

Have been thinking about transfering over to a laptop for DJ'ing my mobile discos.

I have looked at some various software and downloaded some trial versions.

I quite like otsdj. I will be using this laptop purely for DJ'ing and storing my mp3's. I plan to back up all my music with a large sytem I use at home.

What are the minium requirements for a laptop and what are the best sound cards to use.

Also are there any good programmes to convert my current tracks off cd into mp3 and to catalogue my music collection.

If anyone can offer me any advice on PC DJ'ing and information regarding laptop specs, software etc.. I would be most grateful.

Cheers

Steve.

Hi - I'm not too PC technical but I use a Sony VIOS. It's Pentium4 and XP for the operating system, and, has an audio out mini jack with manual volume 'knob'! Just stick a lead in!

It has 30GB - which I think is ok for what I use it for, but it can be upgraded, I believe, to new slightly higher spec HD drives.

Second hand - you're probably looking at around £600 - £700.

New, about £999.

Have never used OTS but there are a few others on the forum who really like it.

Regards

otsjuke is superb the most stable program around the upgrade is coming in the next few weeks beatmixing will be included amongst other things ,hope this helps you guys cheers (ps those few others on the forum who dont really like it try actually using it enjoy)

Edited by robert stuart

Unlike the SL1200 which was king of the decks for well over a decade, there is certainly no clear leader in DJ software.

I use BPM Studio and I very much like the features that it has, although there are a few features which I wish it also had but then as yet I haven't seen any programme on the market that possesses all the features that would make it perfect (for me).

I've had a very brief look at PCDJ and Mixmeister and wasn't too bowled over by either, but then I didn't really give either programme a proper test.

I personally still use a desktop PC for live work which I have in a flightcase and use with a flat screen monitor, also flightcased. These I've used for almost 2 years and I'm still a little wary of switching to a laptop, mainly cos of reliability and overheating issues although I know that Spin swears by his laptop.

You're unlikely to get a definitive answer on here, as although there are a few DJ's using PC's/laptops there seems to be a very even spread over the various DJ programmes available, so in the end as far as the software is concerned you're just gonna have to make your choice and then ask the DJ's (on here) that use that particular programme for their tips on using it.

As for the specs of a laptop, Spin is probably the one to answer that.

My PC's specs are a PIII 933 mhz, 256 mb RAM, 2 x 80Gb hard drives, Midiman Delta 44 Soundcard. Windows XP Pro.

I have no other software on the system other than BPM Studio Pro V4.7

For your other questions, they've been covered quite a few times. Check this link for tips

Good luck.

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

good specs for djing are

pent 4, at least 1 ghz, at least 40 gb, at least 256 ddr mb ram, at least 64 mb 3d card, at least windows 98se or xp, soundblaster external/internal sound card (at least 16 bit), and good speakers/subs.

<font color="#008000">laterzzzzz :blink:</font>

<font color="#0000ff">DJ_CROOKS

</font>

mobile_dj_crooks@hotmail.com

<marquee behavior="alternate"><font color="#008080">Heh, I was a moderator :S</marquee>

although I know that Spin swears by his laptop

I spend most of my time swearing AT mine! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif , and I don't use it for music, just for day to day tasks.

Call me old fashioned, but I could never trust anything that runs under windows to run my show. I suppose the key to it, is to dedicate your laptop to music playing and ONLY music playing, but I still cringe at the thought of having it crash and have to ctrl + alt + delete and reboot in the middle of a set http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/excl.gif .

I realise that there are folks on here who use PC's all of the time, and rarely, if ever have encountered problems. Maybe I just need to go and watch them for a night and see how they get on.

As for software, it simply is a case of different strokes for different folks, and like audio and Lighting equipment, you'll find one person who'll swear by one system, and another who'll rubbish that and say that their software is better http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif , you are never going to get a 100% swing to one particular package.

Most of the software mentioned on this and other threads, does have a free download and time limited trial before you buy, so the best thing to do is to download and install each one, and try it, to see which one has the features, and facilities that YOU find easy to use.

With regard to spec, then always go for the best that you can afford, within your budget, and like anything to do with P.C's you can never have too much Memory or HD Capacity.

I will be olnly using a this pc for music use only and nothing else. I have had a look at a couple of rack mounted pc cases as well, I suppose this is the other way to go as Eskie said and put it in a flight case. The main reason why I want to go pc based is due to a couple of people I employ. That have no regard for equipment and my cd collection. So they just slam it about and many of my cd's are scratched and lost.

I do have a copy of mixmeister, I have installed in in the club I work and use it to play background music when warming up. It seems to have been quite stable.

The main reason why I want to go pc based is due to a couple of people I employ. That have no regard for equipment and my cd collection

Sounds to me like you are talking of spending a hell of a lot of ££££'s to get around a problem rather than resolve the actual CAUSE of the problem in the first place.

Tell them a white lie! - in that in order to meet your new insurance criteria, you need to arrange their use of your equipment etc as an "hire". Take a deposit off them, and return it, ONLY when the stuff is returned in the condition they collected it. Even if there is £20 riding on it, you'll be surprised at how their attitude changes.

If they are not prepared to do this. Considering they were using my gear, music, and representing my business in addition to being paid!, then I simply wouldn't ask them to work for me again. There is no shortage of D.J's or Wannabe's out there, spend some time training them up to your standard, then employ them on YOUR terms!.

To be honest I wouldn't trust anybody who didn't respect the gear or me to represent my business and entertain my clients too much of a risk, damage to gear can be repaired, but damage to your reputation tends to hang around like a bad smell for years.

Wanting to change over to PC to make life and D.J'ing easier is one thing, but don't do it for the wrong reasons

I understand what you are saying Chris. Its a difficult sitaution as I no longer do the mobile disoc side of things. I have trained my two main blokes up from scratch and they have been with me for over 6 years. They know the way i like to run things and the way I like my discos run. I suppose you expect damage as the equipment is out 3 - 4 times a week. I know sometimes they can be a bit slap happy when loading up after the end of a long night. I have spoken to them about this before.

I think going pc based would be beneficial to us as we put out a large show with a lot of equipment. I have been thinking about ways to scale down the show slightly. At the moment they are taking about 8 flight cases full of cd's which as you know is a lot of money's worth of cd's.

You know me i won't try to influence anybody, you trys various bits and picks which one suits you best. As for the out 3 or 4 times a week, I back up Chris on this one, my gear is out 6-7 times a week and we have been using the laptops for about 2 years now, but if there was the slightest slap happy treatment then Mark would be looking for another DJ to help. Even last week we did a full show for a wedding for one of his mates, Mark and I packed up whilst helpful bodies carried stuff down the stairs and waited by the trailer with it. Now that was a night, normal pack up about an hour.......... that night 12 minutes loaded and away!!!!!

Laptop spec (2yrs old now) 700mhz processor Windows XP Pro 128mb ram and a 8gb hard drive!!! No downtime so far, but then it is only used for Mixmeister nothing else, defrag once a week (or depending on use of course) and NEVER connected to the internet. Closest it gets is taking stuff i need from the Desktop thats it!

Hope this helps!

Spin

Cheers for that spin.

May look at a laptop now or go for a desktop system with a tft flat screen and flight case. I have about £800 to spend so should be able to pick something decent up that has a fair bit of memory.

I am right in thinking all you do it take a lead from speaker output on pc into channel in mixer?

I am right in thinking all you do it take a lead from speaker output on pc into channel in mixer?

Thats correct, just plug into the Soundcard (Commonly a walkman style 3.5mm stereo jack plug) where you would normally plug in a pair of powered speakers, and plug this into a line level or cd input of a mixer.

If your Soundcard has amplified outputs (Which power speakers directly) then try and plug into the line level or low level output if fitted. If you do have to plug into a soundcard which has a built in Amp, then make sure that you keep the gain control low on the mixer http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Ive used ots juke and its very good but it was just not hands on enough for me i.e i missed my cd players technics and mixer so i have invested in the stanton final scratch which retails for around 450pounds its hard to explain quick so ive copy and pasted They have also realesed 2 time coded cds as well as the time coded vinal now.

What is FinalScratch™?

FinalScratch™ is the best and only real bridge for the professional and home DJ to enter and control the digital world. By using any standard turntable/mixer setup, a DJ can now manipulate digital music the way they have always done it...by hand and by vinyl. DJs can now mix both analog records and digital files the way they have always been accustomed to and prefer.

Just load any digital audio file onto your computer, then pick and choose from your own playlist. Your computer becomes your record box. As well for the professional, save and load any production, remix, or new edit you have created and play it that very moment or take it to gig the same night without the need to cut an acetate or make test pressings.

FinalScratch™ allows mixing of digital audio files, controlled with any DJ turntable. The FS10K package includes three special vinyl records, the Scratch Amp to connect the computer to your existing turntable/mixer setup, and the Final Scratch software. An FS10K system, which supports 2 turntables, includes the Final Scratch software, the Scratch amp, and 2 FS vinyl records.

The FinalScratch™ software allows the user to save the audio files in various playlists, called Record Boxes, as well to search and assign the audio files to either turntable. The software provides a visual representation of the music, needle position for each audio file, and remaining time of each audio file.

The vinyl records included in the FinalScratch™, which contain digital information, are used to mix digital audio files like MP3, WAV, AIFF, and audio CD. All mixing is done directly from the turntables, including pitch shifting, cuing, spinning up and down, and even scratching. The FinalScratch™ records can be used in combination with traditional analog records when mixing your set.

The Scratch Amp acts as a powerful sound card to connect all the components together to form the system. It provides 2 sets of phono inputs and outputs and 2 sets of line outputs. The Scratch Amp processes the signal from the FinalScratch™ records and sends it to the computer via USB.

Quotes:

"FinalScratch™ is in an elite class of its own. It is one of technologies most innovative - state of the art - piece of equipment, that has taken djing to the next level.”
Kevin Saunderson

“I think FinalScratch™ is dope because…”
DJ Craze

“…I think this technology can totally change the face of what we are doing.”
Richie Hawtin

Features:

Replaceable vinyl records
Plug and play technology
Easy to use interface
Visual representation of the music
Easy access to titles
Better organization of your music collection
Less weight to carry around
Mix your own music instantly
FINALSCRATCH™ can operate in every standard DJ environment

FS v1.0
FS v1.1
FS CD Adaptor Kit
FS Records

Final scratch web

Its a expensive option but great when up and running and great if you still want to use your exsisting cd players and mixer.

If your mixing on a pc, how do you monitor? do you need two sound cards?

Depends what type of soundcard you use.

For example I use the Midiman Delta 44, if you glance at the link, you'll see that monitoring is no problem whatsoever.

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

I must admit that using a laptop for music has never really appealed to me, but i'm willing to try anything new http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif , and think that its about time I experimented, lol.

Can anybody detail any pitfalls that I could find, or any problems I may encounter, since this is a grey area for me http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sad.gif

I know exactly what you mean Chris, and any others with doubts about computers.

Best advice I can give is TRUST it to do what you ask it, somebody once said those new fangled CD thingys will never replace vinyl, they have like it or not, they same the same about mp3's but its happening slowly but surely.

Mixing live is wonderful and easy to do from pc to Cd and cd to pc (with practice), but with pc you also have the chance to pre mix certain things and save them so that in use they are perfect. (Certain members are gonna scream cheat, etc etc)

My view is and always will be use the technology that is available to you to 'your' best advantage.

No I don't believe in pre-programming a whole evening whats the point, but if I care to sit down a play about, twiddle, loop, etc etc till its perfect, then take it out on the road and try it to an audience then i am only doing what is technically available to me.

After all how many on here buy Mastermix, or the other mixes available, are they not doing the same thing in a studio and then selling to you?

At the end of the day no pc is gonna replace us real 'entertainers' and the punters don't care where its coming from as long as the 'toons' are good!

Just my 4d worth

Spin