Dj's United

QUOTE (spinner @ Jul 17 2006, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (brianmole @ Jul 5 2006, 05:23 PM)

Good call, Traktor DJ is far more flexible than OTS IMO.  I tried OTS, found it a little too automated and it does seem to look like someone at Lego wrote the front end http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/tongue.gif

I've only ever used OTS at radio stations - isn't that what it was designed for?

No not originaly but they are trying to split the product into two so one can go more the way of Broadcast and the other for live DJ work.

Nik

• 4 weeks later...

I've just this group so I know my post is a little late but, according to Tesco, every little helps. It really depends on what you're doing. If you're dooing beat mixing, otsdj or pcdj with a usb soundcard will allow you an output to your mixer and also an output for cueing. If you are just doing functions with one song after the other, i currently use winamp, and have done for the last year. I also use two plug-ins. Sqrsoft, which works out when a song is due to finish and starts the next one automatically, (it's programmable so you can set the trigger levels for starting and stopping songs) and also Winamp[Key] Controller, which allows you to program keys, so i have F1 for previous song, F4 play/pause, F6 opens add file, F8 next song, F11 mute, etc. My laptop is linked up to a Behringer UB802 mixer, which allows 2 mics (one radio, one wired) with 3ch Eq and two inputs with 3ch Eq.

http://www.sbpcc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/UB802.jpg

It also has effects send and return as well as phono in and out.

At the end of the day, it's what you're comfortable and competent using. My general advice is keep it as simple as possible. Why have a software package with 42 features when you only need 3 or 4.

Hope this helps.

It certainly looks the dog's ballcocks, and anything that removes Microsoft out of the equation has to be good. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/thumbup.gif

Here are some interesting facts for all of you that worry about why windows crashes.

Whenever your computer crashes, you may have noticed that you see a dialog that says "click here" to send this report to Microsoft, well analysis of all those error reports looks like this:

70% ~ is caused by by 3rd party driver code

15% ~ caused by unknown (memory too currupted to tell)*

10% ~ caused by hardware issues

5% ~ caused by Microsoft code

* Memory corruption occurs when the processor works so fast that the rest of the hardware simply cannot keep up. This occurs on machines that have been overclocked

If you are experiencing failures for an application that you are using, always ensure that you have the latest updates of that application and spefically any driver for it - if it's not broken then don;t try and fix it.

As the advice goes before, if you are assuming a laptop for your djing then you should'nt really be installing any other software on it if it not really needed. There are lots of good well behaved applications out there but there is also lots of bad code out there.

QUOTE (spinner @ Jul 17 2006, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (brianmole @ Jul 5 2006, 05:23 PM)

Good call, Traktor DJ is far more flexible than OTS IMO.  I tried OTS, found it a little too automated and it does seem to look like someone at Lego wrote the front end http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/tongue.gif

I've only ever used OTS at radio stations - isn't that what it was designed for?

Nope.

You can use it on the road as well.

Its not a bad software package,but i still prefer virtual dj.

Simplictic to use,gives me what i need from a pc dj point of view

I have been using a laptop for about 6 months and have never had a problem with it yet.

I use PCDJ RED which is sooooo easy to use. Have just bought a Numark CM200USB mixer which again took me about 10 minutes to work out and now I can preview a track in the phones before I play it. Before I just had a jack to twin phonos from the headphone socket on the laptop.

I have only tried the mixer out once with pcdj so will let u know how i get on after the weekend and see if it goes the distance after a few nights of abuse !!!

Dave

I'll be interested in hearing how you get on.

I have been using a laptop with the CM200USB about a year now.

I tried PCDJ but the software didn't support the two USB connections to mixer, maybe they have now updated this.

The two programs I know you can use the mixers two usb channels with are BPM (Demo disc came with the mixer) and Deejaysystem 2 ( I use this one, a fraction of the features of PCDJ but simple to use and cost approx €70).

I also found with the mixer I get a better mic sound through channel 5. Try both this and the main mic input, be nice to hear what you think.

John

The only problem I have come across is you have to connect the USB leads up before you switch the laptop on and run pcdj or else it seems to take forever to set up the soundcards.

In the config menu for each soundcard there is the drop down menu. For soundcard one i just clip the 1st usb soundec in the list and then soundcard 2 click on the bottom usb codec showing and it seems to work. The only small gripe is that the output is slightly low but its just a case of turning the gain up slightly on channels 3 and 4.

I am going to try it for another month and if I have no problems I am going to start copying my cd's to an external hard drve ready for an easy xmas season.

Just as another quick question. If I download a single with I tunes I cannot play that in pcdj, is that normal and what software would you use to convert to mp3 so I can readily play them in pcdj. I was wondering if it was wise to copy them directly in to pcdj or do them seperately???????