Dj's United

Calling New Zealand DJs

Hi,

I'm just about all set for our move to New Zealand.

A question about plugs - All my equipment has UK plugs. I just want some opinion on taking a couple of 4 way extension leads and putting an NZ plug on the end if this - would it be safe? (so instead of changing 8 plugs I could change 2)

I do worry that NZ plugs arent fused - any suggestions?

Anything else you can think of that I may have to consider........................

I would like to get my Amp/CD players serviced when they get over there so I start off with a "clean bill of health" so to speak - can anyone recommend someone that wouldnt charge the earth in Auckland.

Also whats the story of PAT testing etc over there. Is it a must or is it a "She'll be right" attitude

cheers in advance

QUOTE (treen74 @ Jul 27 2006, 01:17 PM)
I just want some opinion on taking a couple of 4 way extension leads and putting an NZ plug on the end if this - would it be safe? (so instead of changing 8 plugs I could change 2)

While this makes sense, I'm not sure if it would work. I'm no electrician though.... I can't remember what we used when I was in the UK - do you have 220 volt AC? What kind of gear are you bringing? It might be cheaper to sell it and use that mighty pound to buy newer better gear when you get here. ;)

PAT? What's that...???

And as for equipment repairs, there's bound to be someone around that can do repairs. Touch wood, apart from routine servicing of my Numark gear by the service agent, I haven't had a lot of repairs done.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Nick Logan

Auckland - New Zealand

Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) is preferred by some up-market venues here, although I've never had a problem with it.

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/071.gif

PAT? What's that...???

Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) is preferred by some up-market venues here
http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/071.gif

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

If you're emigrating, it'll be best to convert to all-NZ stuff as the UK plugs won't be approved for use....making a NZ PAT test a bit of a mockery. NZ electrical installations are compatible with Australian ones and most Chinese ones too. There are 10, 15 and 20 Amp outlets, both earthed (3 pin) and non-earthed 2 pin versions. It's a bit like the pre-1962 BS546 system we had in the UK with the round pin plugs at 2, 5 and 15 amp.

Yes UK and NZ have the same power supply, ie nom 230V 50Hz. New NZ sockets have had to be supplied with RCD's at the consumer unit for a few years now.

• 9 months later...

If you're emigrating, it'll be best to convert to all-NZ stuff as the UK plugs won't be approved for use....making a NZ PAT test a bit of a mockery. NZ electrical installations are compatible with Australian ones and most Chinese ones too. There are 10, 15 and 20 Amp outlets, both earthed (3 pin) and non-earthed 2 pin versions. It's a bit like the pre-1962 BS546 system we had in the UK with the round pin plugs at 2, 5 and 15 amp.

Yes UK and NZ have the same power supply, ie nom 230V 50Hz. New NZ sockets have had to be supplied with RCD's at the consumer unit for a few years now.

Well.............................I'm here in Auckland now.

Came over in August last year and we are slowly settling in. (Have had a hell of a time shortly after we got here - after sort of finding jobs and somewhere to live in Auckland,my wifes mum who she hadnt seen for 2 years, had a stroke and died shortly after...................turning our world upside down and keeping us in napier for 3 months .....no job.......or prospect of jobs there. Thank god I kept searching and now work at auckland airport doing something Im remotely interested in and the wife is slowly getting there.)

We've moved into a place on the north shore (rental), have furniture and initial projects are almost complete (putting my collection onto Ipod , one of my latter projects- a slow and laborious process). I'm starting to think about things other than work - D.I.S.C.O. !!!!!!!

I'm being realistic and aiming for getting up and running no later then christmas - Ive got to un-bubble wrap my equipment now and see if it works and then NZ-ise it (plugs) and then see if it still works.

I reckon ill have to get the CD player unit and amp serviced. I wouldnt be too confident if i just ..............carried on.

If anyone knows of someone in auckland who might do a good service at a good price - I'm all ears !!!!! I think I might have more joy if I target Uk expats who want a taste of "home". Ill see what occurs........

Look forward to catching up with whats been going on since I last looked in July.

Cheers for now

Glad to hear you made it ok! :Thumbup:

Great stuff!

Keep us posted and let us know how things turn out.

Regards from wet UK!

:djuhi:

Youll probably know this by now, but the voltage there is the same (230V) and the frequency is the same too (50HZ) so you wont damage your stuff when you get it up and running

Just fit the diffrent style plugs on.....if their not fused at the plugs.....then by regulation the circuit should be fused at the source (consumer unit/fuse board) probably at a lot less than UK...ie....10amp or 15 amp circuits instead of the UK's 32amp ring mains we have here

so in a nut shell - dont worry

and good luck with the DJ work!