Dj's United

im an old school dj and find cds modern enough

but my nephew is aking me which is the best program to use on the computer for djing

could any of you help me with advise for him?

fell like a http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/censored2.gif idiot dont have a clue apart from pcdj red and i dont know anything about that

so please help me out

cheers people http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/headphone.gif

Not that I'm planning any changes in the forseeable future, but it might be worth doing a bit of basic research myself into this software thingy.

Anyone got any views as to the stability of the various programs available, and are any of them free, or have a trial available?

Also, are two soundcards needed, or do they route through the one?

I'm well used to displaying my ignorance before the world, so I make no apologies for my questions! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

I have used PCDJ with DAC controller. It's way to techy for me but my son loves it. I am presently using a program called Sam Party DJ and so far 100%. It is simple and will beatmix or just auto mix. If you are want a perfect mix you can set up cues and Bpm rates for each individual track and it will auto mix to a high standard. You can then save them into playlists to be recalled at the click of a key. it's great for pre mixing and then play back. You can set it up as simple or as complicated as you like. You can edit your play list in seconds to enable requests to be selected and played quickly. I have tried several others but I keep coming back to Sam Dj. If you beat mix in loops etc to a high standard this may not be the program for you

I do not know if it is the best but it works for me.

Jimbo

Digital Fusion Entertainments

Bose L1 system user.

I have tried both Ots Dj and Sam DJ both available as a trial version:

Ots Dj: http://otsdj.com/download/otsdjdemo.html

Sam Dj: http://www.spacialaudio.com/products/sampa...j/download.html

I eventually plumped for Sam Party DJ as it suited me, and was not so garish to look at as Ots Dj.

PCDJ trial can be downloaded here: http://www.pcdj.com/

Traktor DJ 3 can be downloaded here: http://www.download.com/Traktor-DJ-Studio/...4-10474306.html

Good luck with your choice.

Eddie.

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

QUOTE (Andy Westcott @ Aug 11 2006, 10:25 PM)
Not that I'm planning any changes in the forseeable future, but it might be worth doing a bit of basic research myself into this software thingy.

Anyone got any views as to the stability of the various programs available, and are any of them free, or have a trial available?

Also, are two soundcards needed, or do they route through the one?

I'm well used to displaying my ignorance before the world, so I make no apologies for my questions! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

Andy to answer your second question:

Most will allow you to map the CUE and OUTPUTs through different channels if your soundcard supports 4.0 or better sound. I.e use the rear speaker outputs for the cue and the front speaker outputs for the main output.

Few laptops have 4.0 sound or better, most will need an external usb card or PCMCIA card to give 5.1 or 7.1 outputs.

For those not in the know, the numbers denote how many speakers i.e

2.0 Stereo

4.0 Stereo Front and Rear (not common now)

5.1 Stereo Front, Middle (voice usually), Rear, and subwoofer

7.1 Stereo Front, Middle (voice usually), Side, Rear, and subwoofer

Most laptop Jocks just use the output from the laptop and do not bother with the cue facility. You may need a Ground Loop Isolator, available from Maplins of Halfords for about a tenner if you are going to use a laptop, worth having one in your bag just in case.

Please see earlier post for Trial software, and as to the reliability, I have had no problems with Sam DJ, and those using Ots DJ seem very happy with it (ie Ads) as for the others you will have to find someone who uses them.

Eddie.

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

When I started ussing a laptop, I was using ITunes, and did so for about a year.

I'm now using PCDJ Red, mainly because I can slip in and out of autoplay, set cue starts on the fly, and change the tempo of tracks.

I'm not totally happy with it, and I think it's worth mentioning the points that I don't like, just so that you are aware of them.

You have to make sure that it is the only thing running. If you don't turn off antivirus, firewall and anything else that might be running, there's a good chance it will crash.

The library is not particularly user friendly in that it's cumbersome, and the search facility is not a patch on ITunes.

I didn't want a DAC controller and the program is desperately short of keyboard shortcuts.

I am looking for something else, but having paid for PCDJ, I'm loathe to spend yet more money.

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

ive been trying clubdjpro and finally bought clubdj lite as i didnt need the video mixing is totally stable even when using other applications at $40 about £22 its a bargain

alan

STROBE DISCO SHOW

01782 713277

07802 489555

Well, I've just downloaded the trial version of OTS DJ, and.......

Well, firstly there's no way to resize the window to fit.

Secondly it told me I had no sound compatible device installed. Try telling my Yamaha SW1000XG that.

Thirdly, who the heck designed the user interface?? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/mad.gif

OK, that's one down.....

Right. I've looked at PCDJ, and didn't even bother with it as it required, for some reason best known to itself, media player 9!!

That's two down......

I tired SamDJ and loved the interface and the whole progamme....however.

I had problems with the loading of tracks, and the ability to quickly change tracks.

Now this may have had something to do with the speed of my computer. But I did feel it could have been a good programme.

OTSDJ however has filled my needs perfectly. In answer to an earlier comment, the screen can be resized to fit the whole monitor. Although it did take me a while to find out how. With regard to the colour scheme, I have to agree about the garish colours. But....joy of joys, when it comes to a computer djing programme, it's fantastic.

It takes nothing to run it, it's quick and responsive. If you use autodj, it mixes brilliantly. The tempo slider is superb, because using that, you can speed the track up but the singer's voice stays exactly as it is and doesn't turn into Pinky & Perky!

The version I bought doesn't have beat matching, looping etc, but for the discos I do it is ideal.

I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

I wonder why the OTS DJ people decided to apparently only make the program compatible with 'game compatible' sound cards?

It seems, at first try, that if you have something a bit decent fitted, it won't recognise it, as is the case with mine. Maybe it's a one-off isue with my system only, but it still highlights a problem with their program. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/sad.gif:

I'll look at some of the other suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Traktor gets the thumbs up for me in terms of stability but the searching and manipulation of tracks doesn't impress me - so what do you do? in my case, I wrote my own - I updated my app that allows me to have that control that I need and the flexibility to use additional channels.

My app

Next thing now is to implement DMX lighting control from within it..

The main thing you have to be clear is what YOU want from your software, then find one that suits your needs. I mainly do function work, where it's generally one song after another. I use Winamp. I have two Winamp plug-ins. The first is a key controller which allows you to make your own keyboard shortcuts. Basically I have all the main functions on my F keys, but you can make them whatever. Secondly I have a piece of software that works out how and when the current song ends and starts the next song accordingly.

Total Cost £0,000,000 (Ideal for Scotsmen and Yorkshiremen) http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

I can't beat mix with Winamp but I don't really need to. I'd like to occassionally but on the whole, I can live without it. If you need to, or need other features, then there's plenty programs out there to choose from.

My advice. Keep it simple. Why spend money on a program with 50 features if you'll only ever use 5 or 6. More features, more to go wrong.

• 1 year later...

The main thing you have to be clear is what YOU want from your software, then find one that suits your needs. I mainly do function work, where it's generally one song after another. I use Winamp. I have two Winamp plug-ins. The first is a key controller which allows you to make your own keyboard shortcuts. Basically I have all the main functions on my F keys, but you can make them whatever. Secondly I have a piece of software that works out how and when the current song ends and starts the next song accordingly.

Total Cost £0,000,000 (Ideal for Scotsmen and Yorkshiremen) :D

I can't beat mix with Winamp but I don't really need to. I'd like to occassionally but on the whole, I can live without it. If you need to, or need other features, then there's plenty programs out there to choose from.

My advice. Keep it simple. Why spend money on a program with 50 features if you'll only ever use 5 or 6. More features, more to go wrong.

Interesting read. Im hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a twin CD player and would like to use my computer more often. I use itunes and its ok for playing a single track then mixing it with a CD track. (Its either that or I have to be quick with selecting the next track but that can be impracticle with certain tunes where there would be too much of a "pause").I spent alot of time cataloging the 8300+ tracks and its very easy to find a specific tune. Is there anything I can use in association with my present itunes set-up where I can mix into a 2nd tune ?

Its possible to use an Ipod also but it would involve alot of fiddling and it would mean Id have to sacrifice one of my CD slots as I dont have enough holes to fill (said the bishop to the actress) with the wiring.

Im not a yorkshireman but not far off down the M62 - so I am looking for the closest to gratis offer I can find :ads:

I might have the answer for you Treen. I already mentioned this app in another thread. Came across it in a DJ mag recently and have been playing around with it a lot recently. Seems to fill all your criteria anyways. Plus it is made by the same people who make the Pro package Traktor which a lot of the guys and gals here seem to use.

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=beatportsync

Oh and in Ireland, the equivalent of a Yorkshire man would be a Cavan man :rolleyes: I'm not from Cavan..but I appreciate a bargain when I see one..especially a free one..hehe!!

Robbie

:hphone:

I might have the answer for you Treen. I already mentioned this app in another thread. Came across it in a DJ mag recently and have been playing around with it a lot recently. Seems to fill all your criteria anyways. Plus it is made by the same people who make the Pro package Traktor which a lot of the guys and gals here seem to use.

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=beatportsync

Oh and in Ireland, the equivalent of a Yorkshire man would be a Cavan man :rolleyes: I'm not from Cavan..but I appreciate a bargain when I see one..especially a free one..hehe!!

Robbie

:hphone:

a Cavan man

You dont need to tell me about them - my dads best mate is a cavan man (mu old man is from neighbouring Monaghan).

What is the difference between a Cavan road and a packet of cigarettes?

Theres more tar in the packet of cigarettes !!!!!!!

Thanks for the info - ill try and have a look when i get home.

Just spotted this in its description " Beatport SYNC is an “all-in-one” song management solution for collecting and organizing your digital music. It combines advanced archiving and ripping functions with full support for Apple iTunes and iPod playlists, giving you total control of your music files."

Has anyone else used this and how have they found it to use? What are the pros and cons ?

Edited by treen74
might have the answer for you Treen. I already mentioned this app in another thread. Came across it in a DJ mag recently and have been playing around with it a lot recently. Seems to fill all your criteria anyways. Plus it is made by the same people who make the Pro package Traktor which a lot of the guys and gals here seem to use.

You certainly did have the answer for me - It worked very very well for me on saturday. I did a wedding evening function at a place called Castaways (www.castaways.co.nz) about 70 kms out of Auckland - absolutely gorgeous place by the sea. I was stood outside on the deck or "dick" as they say here) with my gear and using beatrackz through itunes worked perfectly - i didnt play a CD all night (not that I took any chances - had the CDs on standby)

Anyways - many thanks for the help

PS Gutted I didnt charge more - the groom was a rugby player who plays for Waikato (a Super 14 team - found this out afterwards). They did get me on the cheap but I wanted the gig so didnt want to scare them off - They were very pleased with the evening and said theyd definately recommend me

• 9 months later...

There is only one programme if you ask me and that is Serato scratch but yo uneed to hook it up to iether cd or vinyl decks to enjoy it.

It has never crashed on me and ive been using it a year and a half two to three times a week at gigs.

Total Cost £0,000,000 (Ideal for Scotsmen and Yorkshiremen) :D

what do you mean? i would happily pay a quid...........ok............... i would like some change

Seriously have a look at numark cue5. the full version costs £150 but the lite version comes free with some hardware. I also use a numark djio (£75) multi channel soundcard which i run into a mixer. this gives me the ability to cue and do some decent mixing.

you can use any midi cdj to control it or devices like numark total control, icdx, dmc as well as denon gear, dac from pcdj etc etc. Cue 5 offers native support to quite a few devices making setup very easy.

dont rush try the demos first but dont get the cheapest......call my self a yorkshireman?

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk