Dj's United

How much did you spend

roughly how much did you spend on your first set up  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the second in my series of research polls please take the time to participate

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Let's see.....

It was a moonlit night down in Old Mexico......

No, actually, about 1982, in Exeter, and it was daytime.

I bought four HH 15BL (or something like that) 15" bass drivers, they cost me £37.50 each.

I hired a Pulsar Zero 2250 (which was subsequently never returned...), fiver I think.

I bought a mixer and a couple of BSR decks, and built a 'console'. £25ish if I recall correctly.

Built some light panels, don't know the cost, but they used in total 30 40W bulbs, which had to be bought, as did the holders.

Not all of this happened at the same time, but probably within a year or so.

All in all, way below the £500. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

And I've used junk ever since! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/biggrin.gif

i voted 2 and a half grand... i haven't a clue how much i spent in all, for my first main set-up http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/laugh.gif

Bits of second hand gear, bits of home built gear, and hired amps and speakers. So

I've come a long way (baby) since then.

I must say that I'm surprised at anyone spending over £4000 on their first set up. I'm generally of the school of earn the money then buy the gear.

£300 - bought me a "complete disco" from a local agency (who then provided me with work for many years).

Consisted of : a "Black Knight" console, two 1x12s (unbranded), 2 1x15s (which were actually a 2x15 that someone had chopped in half), a HUGE H&H amp (physically and weight wise), 3 Par cans & a controller, a mirror ball and 2 pinspots, 2 light screens (no controller, and 4 channel so the 3 channel controller didnt work them very well), 1 lighting stand and about 1000 7" singles.

The console lasted 1 gig before I got rid.

The 1x12s went about a month later, got 2x12s instead. Actually kept the 15s for years, never used them, they just sat in my shed.

The amp lasted a while, but was too heavy to carry round.

It wasn't a bad package to start with, but, as others have said, I have come a long long way.... (First package was bought I think about 17 years ago)

DJ Dale King

When you see light at the end of the tunnel, beware. It's probably someone with a torch, bringing you more hassle

My very very first set-up was terribly tiny, just a couple of lights and a small table of audio.

As the gig was just for a friend at works brownie troop/pack it was all my domestic gear - it was the spark of interest, the motivator that made me want to take up DJ'ing more regularly - and I've never looked back.

The domestic gear was a Realistic (Tandy) Mixer, a Tandy £39 microphone, two mis-matched record decks (A Garrard, and a BSR) - one of them had all 4 vinyl speeds on it - that 33 and 45, and also 16 and 78. Amplifier was a huge american style tuner amp - yes....if you pushed the wrong button on it, the audience got to hear Radio 1... I remember also that the mixer didn't have any cueing on it whilst the faders were down - I used to have to lift the fader very very slightly and hold a small amplified speaker to my ear to hear a boosted version of the channel.

Oh, and the speakers? A pair of Tandy Mach2 speakers with huge 15inch woofers and little festoon lightbulbs inside them that used to act as a sort of fuse.

The lights were a couple of nodding scanners with coloured filters over them.

Thank heavens I'm at the other end of the scale now, 20+ years on.

I`v done £1000. Think back and what is available today my 1st setup was Woeful.

A cloud twin turn table (the one were you can reverse your record by pressing a button)

A couple of H & H studio speakers

A tacky old amp

A set of flashing lights (traffic light chase things)

A rope light (Blue)

And finally . I robbed a orange flashing warning light from the street repairs.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.