Dj's United

Interview with ShakerMaker

I'm beginning to get Woganitis so if I ask about your new book, film or 1% DVD just tighten the straps on my jacket http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/wacko.gif

New to the forum but an old hand with the 'Request Fest' here's ShakerMaker!

1. What is your DJU Forum Alias?

Shakermaker - Named after my Indie Club Night which is currently resident at Nexus in Southampton every friday, also the Oasis track that started off the whole britpop thing and a 70s toy that I had when I was younger.

2. What is your Real Name, Age, Location & Marital Status?

Gary Choppen (Gary Cee for short), Basingstoke, Hampshire and I am married.

3. What is the Name of your Disco?

Shakermaker Promotions

4. How long have you been a DJ?

Since 1989

5. What inspired you to become a DJ

A number of things really. Earliest memory is going to a disco when I was about 5 years old and being fascinated by the lights and loud music. I always wanted something to do with music whether it was Djing or not. I was in a band and toured allover the UK and Europe before deciding that it was all too much. I also went to a lot of Discos and saw a lot of DJ's who I thought were actually quite bad and knew I could do a better job.

6. Are you a member of a DJ Association / Union?

Not at the moment but I am in the Musicians Union.

7. What is your favourite type of function now? (eg: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, etc)

My perfect function would be a night of 80s music, no matter how obscure or cheesy. I don't mind doing 18ths and 21sts but there always seems to be someone there that pops up and says "I'm a DJ mate!" and think that they can do better. There are also times when the crowd are split right down the middle when it comes to musical taste, some will like Indie and Rock and some will like RnB and Hiphop, chart etc so sometimes it can be a bit of a struggle. I always find that putting out request slips or getting people to text you requests always works because then you know exactly what people want to hear as sometimes I think people are a bit scared to come up and speak to the dj....or maybe it's just me and my skinhead?

8. What’s the worst/most embarrassing thing you've done in front of an audience?

I don't think I have had any embarassing moments really. That may sound boring but it's true. On the odd occasion I have had to explain that sound limiters in the venue are causing the sound to cut out now and then. I always try to advise clients that if they have booked a venue with sound limiters, they should book somewhere else. I have had some good things happen but they are not broadcastable here.

9. If you could go back to the beginning of your DJ career is there anything that you'd do differently? (eg: The gear that you bought, the way you promoted/advertised yourself)

I have always either worked in clubs or for other people who have supplied the equipment. Now I am working for myself full time now I suppose I will learn as I go along.

10. What do you feel you offer the public that convinces them to book you rather than "the next guy/girl"?

I offer something different with the Indie/Alternative section so anyone that goes to the club nights I do generally book me. As far as the general public go, well...as I said, over the years I have seen enough DJ's to know how not to approach things. I am friendly and have a lot of years experience with Customer Services. I use those skills when I talk or meet with potential clients. My prices are also very competitive.

11. Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadn't? and why?

Not as yet.

12. What's your next DJ purchase likely to be?

Probably another set of Active speakers.

13. If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

Anything that is dust free!

14. What was the worst equipment failure suffered during a gig?

Fingers crossed it hasn't happened (yet!).

15. What do you think is the best thing about DJ'ing?

Going into a venue or club and not knowing anyone or what to expect but at the end of the function being praised on what you have done. I know we play other peoples music but it's knowing what to play and when. People are all too happy to moan at you in life if something isn't good but to go out of your way and praise someone for their work is great. I also like knowing that (apart from the alcohol) they are all enjoying themselves and I am responsible for that.

16. What do you think is the worst thing about DJ'ing?

The worst thing I would say is when you get a totally mixed crowd who like different genres of music and when you play one thing, the other lot dont like it and vice versa. I dont like it when you are doing a christmas party and there are people there who think you should be playing clubby dancey music all night just for them. I think they automatically assume that you are going to be a cheese master and thats one of the worst myths about being a mobile dj. Lastly (sorry)...The "Come on, one more" brigade who even though you have gone over your time already, expect you to go on all night for them.

17. What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything)?

Luckily (for me so I'm told) I look younger than I am but that wouldnt stop me anyway. The only thing that could possibly make me stop is if I went deaf or lost my hands!!

18. How do you think DJ'ing will change, in the next 5 years?

I dont think it will. I think the equipment will do. It's always changing and everyday something new is released. I think the actual DJing will be exactly the same. I'd like to see less of the 'Big Name' dj's getting £1000's just for playing short sets.

19. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

Just the usual stuff really.."Can you play Oasis?" (When I am already playing it) or the classic "Play something good mate!", so you ask them what they class as good and then they go silent as they cant think of anything. There was one the other week where a few guys came over who had been to their best mates funeral in the day. They asked for "Bang Bang You're Dead" By The Dirty Pretty Things and then realised what they had done and started crying. That wasnt good (and I didnt play it either).

20. Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

When I first started DJing I used to be physically sick with nerves before the show. I could'nt sleep the night before either. A guy said to me to just go out there and think that you are the best at what you do and that the people that have booked you have booked you because you are that good. I took that advice and now I am fine. I am not egotistical or cocky but thinking that just gets rid of the nerves. The other thing was turn the lights on first, then the amps, then the mixer and players and then the volume...oh, and lights and sound dont go well together if they are on the same electrics.

21. And worst advice you were ever given?

The worst advice is generally given by punters in clubs. "You should play this next mate"...I dont tend to listen to them that much because their advice is rubbish.

22. How do you keep up to date with music? (eg Promo monthly CDs, Downloads, Purchase from retailer)

I am on a number of Promotional Mailouts (12 in fact). I also download and on the odd occasion I may even part with money but generally it's all promo stuff.

23. Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill the dance floor for you!

It depends what kind of a night it is. If it is an Indie Club then 'Reef - Place your hands', 'Kaiser Chiefs - I predict a Riot' and 'Happy Mondays - Step on'.

If it's a wedding or party or whatver then generally its the classics like 'Sister Sledge - We are Family', 'Jackson 5 - I want you back', 'Robbie Williams - Rock DJ'

24. One piece of advice you'd give to someone just starting out

Go and watch what everyone else is doing. Think about how you would do things and how you may do it differently. Don't go out and spend loads of money on the latest technology if you havent got any bookings yet. Invest the money in low end equipment to start off with and spend the rest on advertising. Get a website, do some market research etc..When the bookings come in and the money too then invest it back into the business and aim for better equipment. Be realistic above all.

25. What medium format do you mainly use eg vinyl, CD, hard-drive?

Generally I use CD's. I have copies of almost everything that I own and am also currently going through the painstaking task of backing them all up onto a hard drive.

26. Have you embraced/adapted any ideas that you've read about on DJU?

I'm new here as this place was recommended to me but I am sure it will be very helpful.

27. What is your best gig ever and your worst?

Best gig ever was at Reading University a few years back when I was working for someone else. BIG soundsystem etc for a summer ball with over 1000 people and from the first second I started they were all up for it. Great atmosphere!

The worst was when I was doing a wedding, again it was a few years back but there was a mass brawl and it ended early. They had the cheek to ask for a refund too when it wasnt my fault.

28. What is your main (most successful) form of advertising your disco?

Word of mouth. Recommendations from customers that have booked me before and passed on my number/details because they were happy with the service. No form of advertising no matter how big or small can beat word of mouth...in my opinion.

29. Have you ever had someone try to claim off you? (eg: Public Liability Insurance or other such legal action)

No...Not yet!!

30. Add any additional comments which you would like to include here

Every Disco supplier, although we are all doing more or less the same thing, is different. Everyone has their own personality and a way that they do things. Some are successful and rightly so but in my opinion, there are some out there who are going along supplying entertainment that is not up to much.

Great interview well done really enjoyed reading that !

Scotty

KING OF DISCOS

We're what parties were invented for !

MySpace

'If anyone here hasnt enjoyed themselves this evening would you kindly raise your arm........, and slap yourself around the chops'

respect to yah sir

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish