Dj's United

need your help PLEASE!

Please can someone help me!!

I have just recieved a new starville DMX master 1 controller i am going to run 4 scatscans and a celebration.

this is the first encounter with a controller for me.

i have hooked it all up and now have that horrible sinking feeling you get when you have not got a clue what you are doing

i have wired up just the 4 scans for now using the terminator plug supplied and set all switches to 1 for now to make things less complicated.

i dont seem to have any controll over the lights i know i have to tell the controller each channel info but the manual explains nothing regarding how to do this.

the blackout doesnt do anything and all the lights just sit there shaking a bit and running through the colour spectrum randamly. when i press scanner 1 button they still sit there but dont shake.

the instructions dont explain the feature of each button like auto (yes but what does auto actually do....etc)

i will be extremely greatfull if any of you guys have used this controller or tell me how i set these lights up i am pulling my hair out at this precise moment..lol.there does not seem to be a manufacturer website i can contact so this is my only hope i think

cheers guys

Rob

Good old DMX controllers. I think your main problem is setting the dip switches on the actual lights. You say you have them all on 1? This will be incorrect. Have a brows through you lights manual and maybe some help will be there as to which switches should be set for each light.

I had the problem with mine.

Sorry can`t be much more help but rest assured someone will be along soon who can advise you better.

Good Luck mate.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

Hi Rob,

In the first instance, your lights will all work with the 1st dip switch set to on, this should give you control of the scanners by selecting scanner button 1 then using the sliders for channels 1-3 (for a four channel scanner, the fourth is the blackout) so make sure that channels 1-8 are selected and not 9-16 by using the page select button. Ensure that dip switch 10 is not on on any of the scanners.

Turn off blackout button (light not flashing).

When you move the sliders up on the first four channels you should notice some movement/control.

Next, auto or music will not work until you have some scenes programmed and saved (although the blackout button should still work), so make sure the controller is in manual mode.

Possible problems, as already stated, make sure that the polarity switch has not been reversed.

When I first got my controller, I suffered similar symptoms to you, I was using a cable that was not a dmx cable and must of had the pins wired incorrectly. I found it by only setting up one light as above, and adjusting the polarity until I had full control of that, I then added another, then another until all four were working properly.

Some XLR to XLR cables are wired with a short across a couple of the pins, these will cause your DMX signals to be lost or corrupted.

Hope this helps, and if you need any further help, PM me.

Eddie.

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

I agree with Brian, if they're twitching although you're not doing anything, the polarity is almost certainly wrong.

On this controller, the blackout button simply turns all DMX channels to zero. (Unless they have reverse turned on). Not every DMX light is blacked out at zero (though most are!). Print out your DMX channel assignments from your fixture manuals and spread them out on a nice big table alongside your controller, so that writing the programs will be easier. It may help to make 'legends' on a strip of paper and sellotape it along the bottom of the desk to remind you which faders do what.

I agree, almost certainly the polarity.

Whe I got mine I was going round in circles for ages, till I discovered that my Chauvet lights were opposite polarity to the Soundlabs. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/wallbash.gif

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

oh dear how embarrasing

yes it was the polarity switch. i did try it the first time i connected the lights but as i seemed to get light i thought i had it set correctly.so then ruled it out as causing the problem

oh well you live and learn hey. just programming in some scenes now it seems very tedious and would be alot easier if the manual was a little more helpfull they assume you already know all about dmx it seems!

i doubt that the majority of people who buy "bottom end" controllers like this one are likely to be that expereienced.

another question though....

is there a converter cable available to connect the 5 pin din socket for fog machine to my source junior it has a remote with an iec connector not din.????

thanks very much for your help guys very much appreciated.

cheerz

Rob

Hi Rob,

You're right the manual is a pain to understand, the chauvet manual is a bit better if you go to Chauvet tech page and download the manual for the DMX-50 you'll find the Stairville and Chauvet unit are the same but look different (the stairville looks better if you ask me). There's also a manual on the soundlab web site for their version of the same unit click here.

Just keep playing with it and you'll get it sorted, took me about an hour to sus it out and I didn't have a clue what I was doing when I unpacked it.