Dj's United

Terralec full system

Hi all me and a friend are starting up a small disco (primaraly as a hobby)

and looking for gear I have found this system

http://www.terralec.com/prod.asp?i=17778&1...LIGHTING_SYSTEM

could any one please advise whether this system would do for starting out in DJ disco land.

We dont want to look cheap and tacky we just want a half decent system

Is the lighting okay the CD amp mixer and speakers!

any comments or advice would be great

Thank you

Keith

Hi, and http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/Welcome.gif to DJ's United.

I see you are based in the Exeter area, it may be beneficial to try to meet some of the members that live near you for a drink and to pick their brains (what little they have). There are a few within about 50 miles of you.

With reference to your question as to the benefits of buying an all in system, I would suggest that you could get started with some more useful kit without the glitz of some of the items in this kit by doing some research and asking some questions.

Firstly, what media are you going to use for your music? Laptop/MP3 or CDs, as this will require the appropriate means of playing.

You could for instance buy a set of 15" 400 watt per side bi-amped polycarbonate active speakers for less than £400 pair (giving you a degree of built in backup), a reasonable mixer could cost you in the region of £100 A black cloth in front of your table looks classier and less glitzy than those lightboxes, cost under £20. A reasonable mike can be had for under £40 by shopping around, and with the purchase of a couple of 250 watt moon-flower type lights and a lightstand you would have enough change left over to ensure a decent music collection.

Don't forget to include in your budgeting the cost of PLI and PAT Testing.

Eddie.

Edited by EdBray

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

Some things available at Terralec are good value for money.

They often have unbranded ( or differently branded ) lighting effects which are identical to others costing as much as 50% more elsewhere. A few years ago I bought a pair of ABS speaker cabinets from them that were inexpensive and sounded surprisingly good.

Rather than buy a package you would do better, in my opinion, to decide on the items you want then shop around to get the best value. The choice, these days, is vast with a wide range of prices and quality.

I second the comment about the lightboxes. For what you might spend on those you could buy a budget starcloth.