Dj's United

As many of you will/will not know exposure is the hardest part of doing any disco from the beginning of starting up!!! You could have say a 5KW system the best gear available but have no gigs at all!!

Lets here from you all and share info on getting the public wanting you for bookings etc!!!

Cheers

Rick

http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Discos @ Resonable prices in berkshire come to Performance Light & Sound 07833 991057

Http://www.plsdiscoberks.co.uk

go to http://www.mobiledisco.org/ for discos around congleton and nr areas

Litter your local schools, pubs, bars, parks, shops with cards, its the only way..

Ner ner ner ner... ner ner, ner can't touch this.

My biggest influence was Vera Lynn and I enjoy winding down with my cat - tabetha whilst listening to bing crosby playing on the gramophone.

... You wish ....

<br>Buy and sell advertising www.adsbay.co.uk </center>

QUOTE (Tom @ Jan 26 2003, 05:34 PM)
Litter your local schools, pubs, bars, parks, shops with cards, its the only way..

Agreed! - until you are *Hopefully* good enough for word of mouth advertising to get most of your work, you do have to rely on your own hard work to get the initial gigs. Remember like any business you only get back results if you spend the time and effort to make it a success. Neither will any agency consider adding you to their books until you have around 2 - 5 years of business behind you!.

One of the best ways of generating business is the good old mailshot!, send your business card and covering letter to all of the local hotels, pubs, conference centres, sports clubs etc but don't forget to follow it up with a Telephone Call or a visit to the landlord / manager. I find that people are less likely to consider you when using the mailshot alone, and are more likely to give you a chance if you take the time to speak to them in person. Remember to push the point that you will offer them a discount for repeat bookings http://www.chrispointon.f2s.com/Forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif you may need to undercut their existing D.J (at least to get your foot in the door!) but don't work for nothing or undersell yourself!.

Another good way of getting work is by professional referal. I find that exchanging cards with Caterer's, Wedding Car Hire, Photographers etc does work wonders for getting Wedding Bookings etc. In return I also pass on their details to anybody who requires such a service. It DOES work!.

Another way I find useful is to make sure that your business card, flyer etc is on all of the tables at the functions you do. This puts your name in their face from the start of the evening. Put some request leaflets on the tables. Get the punters at the gig coming to talk to you.

If it is a wedding and it's a great night the chances are that some of the guests will be getting married in the future if they know who you are then you have a chance of getting that gig. Be polite to the hotel staff and find out who the functions manager is.