Dj's United

Mic Mac...To DJ or not to DJ.

i would use them in the same way they could be using you.they need to get themselves up and running and so do you,so i would get them to book me for x amount of weeks,all the money you get from the bookings can then be reinvested in better equipment ready for you to put your price up.if you do 2 nights a week at £80 a night then that £640 to reinvest after 4 weeks if you can get 8 weeks out of it £1280 by ther end of jan you could be getting some good kit and you have your old stuff as back up,and the best thing is your disco busssiness as paid for it all.and all the while your doing these gigs you are getting your cards out and your face known.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all :djuhi:

I don't think I held the meeting well, as I got the deal but not as much cash as I hoped.

He asked me to tell him alittle about me, and I feel I came across as a little inexperienced, and undervalued myself :lame: . He suggested I do Friday night (he has bought the pub, but wants to stay anoynimous as he has 4 pubs already so has employed two managers), and he would be looking at Fridays and Sundays :cool: . Given the curcumstances in that the managers are a very young (23 , 22) and I think are really inexperienced in the pub game I think their minds will be focused on the practical running of the pub, so it will be up to my skills to entertain, and capture people so they don't go three doors down to the next pub. :bouncy: I told him that I would be charging about £25 per hour mobile, but I understood the position. He said however he would pay me .... £60 per 'session', :fright: up until CHRISTMAS (7 weeks!!!!!!!)

Doing it has many advantages, but it seems a drisery amount for the effort I know I will put in. I have spoken to wife and we recon at least its a bird in the hand, but tis a small bird.

I feel I should maybe do it for 4 weeks then discuss with him the fee.

On another (ongoing) issue A woman (Ireen) who goes in the con club has her 35st wedding aniversary on Saturday, so on Sunday last I asked the DJ (Colin) if he was doing it. He did not really know, but I told him they were saying the night before that they are expecting him, so he said I should do karaoke upstairs.

Went into con club tonight and asked Manager, and he said he thaught Colin was upstairs, and I was doing Ireen's Party.

It's a bloody (hope I can say that) joke....Told him I will just bring my kit and see what happens...(whatever happens I recon this :karen: will be ireen by end of night lol).

I have an apointment with buisness manager on Thursday next week, and plan to take day off to register with taxman etc. :pizza:

So foot in the door, :Thumbup: but a very slim foot :shaun: , and as always....

The quest continues :hphone:

MicMac ...the quest continues

i know what you are saying about the amount but look on the plus side you got 7 weeks friday and sunday to impress,get your cards out and bringing in £840,if you did not take up the offer could you gaurantee getting that amount in the next 7 weeks.and the other plus you still got the best night of the week to pick up any more work.

Edited by andyw

I tell you something this thread is a brilliant read.

reminds me of when i started.

Micmac ive read all your comments and me and the mrs can understand where your coming from.

In respect to the pub work for £60 a night, it aint that bad really. to start off with anyway, as my mrs says its money you wouldnt of had (and then she slips in about a pair of shoes she likes lol)

Anyways i wish you all the best in your career and if you need any advice or anything please dont hesistate to contact us.

all the best

p.s

i no a young lad doing wexactly what your doing and he's been doing for about 6 months and he has no intention of registering with the vodka and tonic.

All he does is keep a log of outgoings and income.

pm me for details ;)

I'm just about to set off for my first gig there.

I really do appriciate the support. Commets like the one's above really do help. I really appriciate the benefits of doing the gig, but it is really good to hear positive vibes. I will ensure I get my drinks for the night (Should save me about £40 (lol).

As always.....

The Quest Continues:D

Hello All.... :djuhi:

Well I have survived the weekend, and what a weekend it was....

Friday.

Karaoke went well. Only about 20 people in pub at it's peak, but did not close until 2:30am, with 4 people still in, drunk and enjoying themselves. One 'nightmare was that the Karaoke TV kept switching itself off (every 20 seconds) through the 1st song, as I had failed to take the remote control, and the TV was locked into Auto shut off. It was really embarasing (especially since bloke was singing 'words') :aa . Anyhow I was able to fly home and pick up a universal remote we had, and what Joy when it worked.

On Saturday went to pick up gear and asked about the Quiz on a Sunday. was told that the 'owner' had said if I was willing to do from 8pm - 2:30am for £60, he would be looking at paying me a lot less. :nono: I told him I was already being skanked at £60, and not only was it not worth me setting up, and putting away for less, but I was not willing to give up another potential earning night for less than £60.00. Manager said he would speak to owner and see what happens. Bear in mind that this pub does not have a phone, nor a bell, and he seems loathed to spend any money to get these things. This is making the managers frustrated as they are trying to get the pub up and running on a shoestring.

Anyhow I get a phone call from DJ Colin asking if I was doing IREENS 'do'. I told him No, however he told me that someone had complained to club committee that I had alowed a bloke to get hold of microphone when night had ended last week. (it was my birthday) I phoned Ireen and asked her who she wanted to do her gig. she said she had booked Colin. So I went to club determined to tell them that I was fed up with getting second hand complaints from the other DJ, and if there was a problem then the club manager should talk to me direct. He told me that he does not get involved in the comittee, and he was OK if I worked in club tonight. I thaught it would have been stupid to talk myself out of £100 for 4 hours, so agreed to do it.

Night went well, and cut everything dead on 1am, so manager was chuffed, however Ireens party went on until 2:30am, with one bloke facing up to colin, so I intervined to calm things down and got a boloking for overstepping my athority. (Can't do owt right in that place...lol).

Anyhow, went to pick kit up on Sunday to be informed that Sam (She was the old DJ who resigned) has been asked back, and may be doing next Saturday. (I asked DJ Colin (Since he is on the Committee) whether he was aware that Sam had been asked. he was not aware, and seemed quite put out ("I am giving up gigs to do this"). I asked how he did not know given his comittee status, but he said it was up to manager. So we will see what happens next Saturday, but I am pursuading my mates who normally drink in the Con Club on a Saturday to give the Stags Head a try.

So went back down to Stags, and Owner has agreed to pay me £60.00 for Sunday night Quiz.... :toot:

I suggested this Sunday (ie yesterday) was too quick to do a quiz as no-one would be aware of it and they would need to sort out prizes. They were looking at getting a 24 pack of beer, but I told them it would be better to give them drink tokens so they were enforced back into the pub I also suggested we do it next week, and the pub should put on some free food, so with that suggestion they are going for chip butties. :good:

I am at work now and have to leave, so I may continue this buit of my thread later, so until the next time....

The quest Continues... :hphone:

Glad everything went ok mate,

Ive had the same thing happen to me with the telly. annoying aint it.

Anyways hope all goes ok with your quiz and with respect to the other dj complaining ,,, possibly he could be annoyed of what a good job your doing. Maybe he feels threatned by your talent?

Just a thought anyways.

I look foward to the next update

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All... :djuhi:

Just updating on the latest events.

The gigs at the local pub (Stags Head) (depite the pay) seem to be going very well. I put the quiz together and apart from an initial animal round (ie what are groups of particualar animals called 'Litter of...Pigs, Murder of....Crows etc, that did not seem to impress, although I though would be informative and interesting), the quiz as a whole seemed to go OK. Only about 20 people in pub, but this is from a normal Sunday of 1 or 2.

I will continue to do it, but wish I could negotiate my fee given the effort and hard work I am putting into the place, but my saving grace is that (whilst I sort a better kit), is that it is not desasterous if a couple of gremlins get into my kit

They are sorting out so I can have my own 'dedicated' space, and I am trying to pursuade them to get a stand, so I can just shut down, lock up and leave kit there. :mikee:

Got a call mid week from Landlord of pub (New Dolphin) where I did 18th (Remember

Landlord not only said he was really impressed and wanted me for his leaving do,
way back), well he is leaving on Saturday and wants me to do it. :toot:

One (maybe) ace up my sleeve is that (remember)

Woman came up and asked if I had card, BECAUSE she is going to be new landlady of pub in December.
. Well I am hoping she gets in touch. At worse it will give me a bargaining chip with the landlord of the pub I am currently DJ'ing in, at best she will employ me 2 nights a week at a decent rate, and the landlord of the Stags Head will feel enforced to up my pay in case I defect

Still as always on the search for bargain gear. :Thumbup:

So until next time.....

The Quest Continues :hphone:

Hello All...:djuhi:

This is just in addition, but I think it is a momentus occasion, in my DJing career :bouncy: . My post's are no longer are being previewed by a moderator before they are posted....

:toot: :thanks: :love:

Hi

I dont mean this in an offensive way....

But err....I think you should count yourself lucky that you have had all this work basically drop in your lap.

Im working my bo:cense:ocks off trying to get more business for my mobile DJ business and getting hardly anything back....

That said a local pub has booked me for a kids party on the 16th December.......and on Xmas Eve and New Years eve (Charging £100 for the kids, £200 for xmas eve, and £300 for new year) Hey I know thats pretty cheap, but the manager has hinted their may well be lots more bookings for next year.....so I did her a loyalty discount lol.

So all i gotta do is put on a real good show and keep the business.....

Anybody fancy posting hints and tips for making sure these gigs go with a bang, Im desperate to make a good impression and have never done a Xmas Eve or New Years eve......the punters will rip me to shreds if I aint putting on a show lol

NRG... if you do a cr@p job at these gigs, you're stuffed for next year (the landlord wont book you). I think your price for NYE is a bit high (especially being new) Im still newish to DJing. Wouldnt consider myself excellent, and certainly wouldnt charge £300.

I think they're going to be expecting a fantastic night for their £300. Maybe luck will be on your side, like MicMac (and well done to him - he is clearly excellent) and luck that will see you through and get you the gigs. But why always err on the side of caution? why not price it so that it reflects your ability?

Ben

NRG... if you do a cr@p job at these gigs, you're stuffed for next year (the landlord wont book you). I think your price for NYE is a bit high (especially being new) Im still newish to DJing. Wouldnt consider myself excellent, and certainly wouldnt charge £300.

I think they're going to be expecting a fantastic night for their £300. Maybe luck will be on your side, like MicMac (and well done to him - he is clearly excellent) and luck that will see you through and get you the gigs. But why always err on the side of caution? why not price it so that it reflects your ability?

Yea Im well aware of if I do a crap job for the landlord I will stuff up any chance of getting work from them for next year, thats why I was asking for advice so I dont do a crap job.....

Ask around mate......lets see how much other DJ's are charging for New Years eve......I think you will find £300 is pretty underpriced..........I did phone up some other DJ's posing as a customer for new years eve......and was quoted £350 plus, one even wanted £600.......

And the landlord in question even told me she thought that was cheap for new years eve, but she understands she got a special rate coz of the promise of more work for next year....

So what advice can you guys give me so I dont do a crap job?

Nick

Ask around mate......lets see how much other DJ's are charging for New Years eve......I think you will find £300 is pretty underpriced..........

It really depends where you are! I dont think I could get away with charging that around here. (or the types of people I do gigs for anyway)

As for advice -- I think the post that the CNJDJ guy (I think that's his name) posted was sound advice :Thumbup:

Ben

Ask around mate......lets see how much other DJ's are charging for New Years eve......I think you will find £300 is pretty underpriced..........

It really depends where you are! I dont think I could get away with charging that around here. (or the types of people I do gigs for anyway)

As for advice -- I think the post that the CNJDJ guy (I think that's his name) posted was sound advice :Thumbup:

£300 too much for Middlesex? Mind you, I guess it depends on whether you're talking way west or closer to North/Central London. Even house parties should be running at around £200+, so NYE at £300 doesn't sound OTT.

However, if I have read this incorrectly, I aoplogise in advance.

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

Nope I think you read it right mate.....

And how much is the normal price for a disco in Middlesex? £150 ish?

This is new years eve.....are the bar staff and that on double bubble? Maybe even tripple time? I reckon they would be....

So £150 normal price for a sunday night........new years eve......Double bubble £300....

Thats how I worked out the price anyway.......dunno if that was right or wrong.....but the manager is fine with it and shes my customer so I guess thats what counts.

I really wanna put on a good show for all the bookings though, I really like to add the personal touch to every one of my bookings and treat them all with a different plan for the music playlist so advice please.....What are you guys planning for your Xmas eve and New years eve bash's?

Regards

Nick

£300 too much for Middlesex? Mind you, I guess it depends on whether you're talking way west or closer to North/Central London. Even house parties should be running at around £200+, so NYE at £300 doesn't sound OTT.

However, if I have read this incorrectly, I aoplogise in advance.

As I said in my post - the types of gigs I do, £300 would get laughed at, and I wouldnt get the booking.

Yeah, £150 is about right. Most I've ever been paid is £200 for a gig.

Im still in my young days od DJing.. one day I will target the market in which £300 is peanuts. For now, Im happy with £150 a gig

NRG - Sorry if I seem a bit harsh, i dont mean to be :)

Ben

Hello All

No disrispect to anyone but it feels like this thread is starting to be hijacked a little. I do intend to return to update you all with the events of a very interesting weekend, but would appriciate if my thread did not divert into discussions on the costs for NYE in Middlesex.

Cheers

The quest continues

MicMac.....

My original post was on topic.....

I asked something along the lines of how your getting so much business after only being in the game for a few months?

I personnaly am struggling to find work, and you seem to have gig after gig after gig just fall in your lap, so whatever your doing your doing it right, I'd just like some tips on how come your so busy?

Cheers

Nick

Fair play to you Mic Mac on your quest. It seems like you are doing ok and like most of us, have experienced a few technical hitches along the way in your early days.

I have a few words of advice for you but first of all.....PLEASE do not leave your equipment in any venue whatsoever. I have learnt through past experiences that it's definitely not a good idea. You take care with your equipment and treat it with respect because it's the tools for your job and how you earn a living. To other people it's a different story. I know of one guy a few years back (and old boss of mine actually) who did a regular weekly disco in a pub in town. He used to have a drink and leave his equipment in the pub. It was fine until the landlord was leaving and new management took over. When the guy went into pick his equipment up the day after the previous managers leaving do, his cd's were gone and so was his flightcased cd players and mixer - Work that one out, it's not hard. Needless to say, he never ever saw them again and he also lost his weekly slot because the new management thought he was trouble as he was kicking up a stink about his 'missing' equipment...It's worth thinking about. There are a lot of dodgy people about and I know it's bad thinking like this but you can't trust anyone. The best thing is not to leave your equipment around on it's own and then it doesn't tempt anyone. Would you leave your stuff in a van or car for the night?....I know I wouldn't!

Anyway, regarding your money.....I'd say £60.00 for a quiz session in a pub is fair enough. A girl I know does the same from 8 - 11 on a wednesday night and plays music in between etc.. It's great when the accumulator is going up each week when no'one gets the 3 special questions correct as it entices more people down to the pub but once it's won, the numbers drop. The only thing I would question is the unsociable hours...1am on a sunday (if I have read it correctly) is a bit late isn't it. It may be worth reviewing the times and saying 8 - 11 or something like that.

You are obviously doing a good job and what you will find is that before long, people will pop in the pub that haven't been in there before. They will see the good job you are doing and the word will spread. They may mention you to the landlords of their locals and then you'll get more interest too. With regards to the other dj who is getting the ar$e as you say at your con club, what I would do is just be as pleasant as possible. Don't intervene when there is trouble or squaring up no matter how much you want to, just stay away. I did the same thing once when I was working for the ****** Tree pubs. One night there was a huge kick off and the door people were out numbered so I jumped in as one of the door people was a woman who I knew well. I didn't want to see her getting mullered so I did what I had to do.

I got a serious b*****ing for that one I can tell you. They were right when they said that it's their job and that I should stick to playing music and let them do what they have to do (although she did appreciate my help). The thing is, I was there every week so the guys who I sorted out knew where they could find me if they wanted to seek their revenge. It never happened but what I am saying is that the same thing could happen to you if you start doing stuff like that.

Thanks for the constant updates regarding your career and i look forward to reading more.

Shakermaker Promotions

Indie / Rock & Alternative Specialist (But I can cater for everything else too).

Hello All... :djuhi:

well another interesting weekend was had, but I am not a happy DJ. :wall:

Did the landlords leaving do, worked from 7pm - 4am. (Don't worry, says the landlord, I will make sure you are well paid :dan+ju: ). Anyhow, end of night (He's P :cense: sd), and I ask for pay. He then starts going on about how skint he was and he could pay me....get ready for this....£100 :omg: . I was floored especially since I brought an enterage with me (7 people) who spent well over £150.00 but it wasn't really the moment to react properly. Anyhow told wife when we got home, and she was more furious than me :paula: , so when we went to pick up the kit she spoke to him, and told him the pay was grossly unfair, but he initially was having none of it, saying thats what we agreed at the end of a gig (He also said.....I have had people shot in the past :fright: ). wife asked if he was threatening us....(Was all getting a bit dodgy if you ask me). Anyhow he eventually agreed to give me an extra £30, but said he would not recomend me to anyone ;thumbdown: , but the 'new landlady who is taking over the pub was in, and said she would give me a ring :thanks: .

Did not do the quiz on Sunday as there was only my mates in the pub, so I have done some posters for next week.

As far as getting gigs go I really don't know. As I said in an earlier thread I have not advertised, but keep getting calls. I have a 40th Birthday on Saturday, and another booking in April next year (Hoping they want catering, which I get 50p per head from, but need to contact them with all details). I think my bookings are comming from people who are attending the various stuff I am doing. I have to say I am surprised because on many occasion (as this thread charts) I have gremlins in my kit, and have on occasion had to shut the music down whilst I sort it. I think I tend to get away with it though because I come back really cheeky on the Mic, and this makes people laugh, thus the gremlin is less effective. (I also like to introduce Mass Karaoke - Everyone singing Bohemiam Rapsady, or Random Karaoke, when someone can't let go of the mike I put on a random track that I insist they sing (Often Blokes, so spice girls often goes down well).

I take your advice shakemaker, but it is such a dhilema. I figured when I get a second to spare I need to sort out a new kit, so figured I could lug the new kit round, and keep the naff kit I currently work with at the pub.

By the way I need to clarify it was the manager of the club that was getting the hassle. I realise it was not my position but it was the manager who the week before told me that my mates could not stay later than when the pub closed...This was not my responsability either. I have to tell you all I am sooooooooooooooo tired at the moment. I really need to stop working (driving) through the evening so I can focus on DJ ing, however (Despite me running the office whilst my boss is galavanting around), he seems reluctant to discuss appointing me Manager (Just to acknowledge what I am doing here), raises my pay, so I can give up the 12 hour shifts I am currently doing.

I am (if it is OK) remaking my appeal for unwanted kit that any of you may have. I intend to meet with Andy (ADS) but he lives in Torquay which is 6 hours drive away. But if anyone closer has any kit they no longer require let me know.

As always.....

The Quest Continues.... :hphone:

Edited by MicMac

Hi again Mic Mac,

Sorry to hear about your dodgy weekend.

Right !! You may not agree with what I am about to say but it is only MY opinion so remember that ok.

This guy at the pub is seriously taking the :cense:ss mate. I don't know your financial situation obviously but if I were you I would drop him sharpish. I would never go back to that place if he is going to act the big man and say stuff like "I have had people shot". He is using you big time, he knows it and I am sure you do too. An 8 hour gig for £130???? Someone is having a serious bubble.

I hate talking about money at the best of times but when something is agreed then they should stick by it. By him saying that he would "see you alright" is not a confirmation of a price and I wouldn't have set up my equipment without that out of the way first of all. He adds insult to injury by being p:cense:ed when you approach him, threatens you in a round about way and you leave with no money having to go back the next day to collect once he is sober. It sounds very very dodgy there mate and I would get out asap.

Just because you say you have some naff gear that you can leave there doesn't make sense...It's still gear at the end of the day and can be used as back up gear. I think what you need to do is also (even though it's regular...if you continue to work there) give him a booking form and invoice with the agreed price on it (printed) along with terms and conditions so you never get in that situation again...ever. Believe me, if he's done that once, he'll do it again and again. Nip it in the bud now. There's nothing worse than having a good night, making the venue you are playing at loads of money only to be p:cense:ed off at the end when they don't want to pay you what you are worth.

Who cares if someone else takes over from you? Let them deal with the idiot and don't put yourself at risk mate. I did a karaoke in a pub on a dodgy estate once a long time ago. All the idiots were there and it was not pleasant at all. The money was ok (ish) but it was on a knife edge all the time and uncomfortable as you never knew when it was going to kick off. I did the one karaoke and never went back as I didn't want to risk my equipment or me. I can look after myself quite well mate (that's irrelevant) but a pub full of idiots isn't great.

I hope you take this how it's meant. I don't know you but this does worry me as it's an accident just waiting to happen IN MY OPINION. Apologies if any offence caused.

Gary

Edited by shakermaker

Shakermaker Promotions

Indie / Rock & Alternative Specialist (But I can cater for everything else too).

Need to clear up a little misunderstanding,

The bloke in the pub 'I've had people shot' is not the bloke i work for. He is a landlord of another pub, who I was doing his leaving do, so he is out of the pub game tommorrow (Thursday), and out of the village, so I don't think he will be giving me a problem again. (and like you say i would not do another gig for him if he paid me :dan+ju: :D :karen: :fan: :flex: ol

As always thanx for the support, and a lesson (ie agree a price BEFORE I agree the gig

The quest continues :hphone:

Hi Mac

My comment about the amount of booking your doing wasn't a criticism, good luck to you if work seems to drop in your lap.......I wanna know the secret.....coz I wanna do whatever it is your doing lol.

Seriously.......When I first started, I worked on a verbal contract........I very quickly changed my way of working, coz on at least two occasions I had a job booked on my "verbal contract".....turned down other bookings for the same night only to have the original "verbal" booking canceled with a few days notice.....lesson learned thier big-time, I now work on a written contract, and also ask for 20% deposit, and make the customer away that their date is NOT booked until both contract and 20% deposit has been received, they then get a written confirmation with a receipt for their deposit. It is also explained to the customer that the balance of the fee must be paid at the VERY latest on the day of the booking, but before any equipment is set up, and it aint happened yet but if I got to a job and the customer said "set up over thier, I will pay you at the end of the night".....I would of course first try and explain the situation and attempt to get the money before the gig.......but........I would if nesecary be prepared to leave thier and then if no agreement on financial agreement could be reached. Afterall, you cant take back the service you have provided once the job has been done.

I used to work on trust.....handshakes etc.......but quickly got out of that habbit......was fine for a while, and I find most people are genuine honest people who will pay what they owe you.......but then a small minority have meant I cant trust anybody on verbal agreements.....

Just a thought Mac........and may the force be with you......sorry, I mean may your quest continue tongue out icon