Dj's United

Yet more Monopolising Venues

Not upset at all sir ! and apologies if i upset you. I try and provoke on the forum and i thought the thread had potential but was turning into a bit of a moan thats why i tried to turn around things and look at them from a different view. i do think i had several valid arguements and i will also say that i work at a lot of venues that are proffessional right along the line and not unlike the ones i discribe . As said on this forum many times before what works in London probably wont work in Manchester or Birmingham or even Wolverhampton where you are UK ! (incidently had the pleasure to see your footie team whip the local norwegian team here a couple of years ago ). It was not my intention to upset anyone so if i have then sorry. My idea on the venue front that delivers a complete package with everything included was based on honesty from the hotel from the start so that customers could decide if this was what they wanted from the off and had the choice not to book if it wasnt for them.

Edited by C.S

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if,....... the resident Dj was very good at his job, had PAT & Insurance, reliability, loads of previous recommendations and everyone had a great time?

Sure some people on this forum will detest the idea, but it can work.

Just because (client) has seen mr/mrs X at a bar/pub night with a few cheeky remarks that makes them laugh, and they play "the right" music, that they will do for Uncle Fred & Auntie Freda?.

Times are changing fast people. Prove yourself, & get out there with your portfolio.

QUOTE (alicat @ Oct 14 2006, 02:13 AM)
What if,....... the resident Dj was very good at his job, had PAT & Insurance, reliability, loads of previous recommendations and everyone had a great time?

Well then everyone would be happy - but it still doesn't get around the fact that one DJ may not be suitable for a particular client and it should be up to that client to pick who they want to perform at their function - not the venue.

Would this Resident DJ who came bundled with the venue also be as 'Accessible' as one which the client books privately themselves? - Would he / she be at the meeting with the Manager when the client visits the venue?.

From reading even recent posts here, It seems like many of us go to great lengths not only to reassure but also to discuss the function with the client, even arranging a personal meeting with them, not to mention indepth discussions about play lists, the running order of the evening, First Dance etc.

Would the resident be as involved, from the initial booking to the completion of the evening?. Or would it be treated just like Woolies' Pick and Mix of assorted block bookings and just turn up, then meet the client on the night and hope that you have the first dance and that the management / Function Manager had got the other details correct.

If handled incorrectly, the AIO Wedding could lose out on the former 1-1 personal touch provided by a small business run by a owner operator and could end up being as 'cold' as the mechanical switchboard telling you to 'press 1 for sales' etc.

I hope to have something to bring in the next week or so to this thread (if it's still running).

I've just had a call with contact details of a pretty upmarket venue local to me down here in the SE. A networking contact of mine happenend to meet the General Manager and mentioned me and how I work with clients offering a fully consultative service (including some of the things Chris mentioned above, like personal meetings, music input etc), and the GM said he would be interested in talking with me.

I know this venue operates with their own DJ's exclusively, and charges a good wack for a wedding, so it will be interesting to see how things go.

Will report back later.

I would like to say that I would be happy to work in this way if the client was told honestly why the venue operated the policy (to maintain standards, reliability, image) before booking the venue, and if the payment was in line with the function/venue rather than an opportunity to bundle the service and squeze the supplier.

Let's see...........

Vinnie

Paul Forsyth

The DJ formally known as Vinnie

Further to my last post, I like to encourage clients to "construct" their function to suit them. I think that there is a dangerous precedent being set by the venues who insist on selling packages. The risk is that if it all goes wrong, then the client has one point of blame:- the venue. Has this been properly considered by the venue?

If I were in the business of running a venue, I would concentrate on my core business - operating the venue as best as I possibly could. Leave the choice to the client. Variety is the spice of life.

Resident service providers have a tendency to get comfortable and complacent if there is no competition for them.

What keeps us all fresh and on our toes is competition; something that is all too easy to forget!!!

They don't show Thunderbird 2 reverse parking as it doesn't make good television.

QUOTE (Vinnie @ Oct 14 2006, 09:59 AM)
I hope to have something to bring in the next week or so to this thread (if it's still running).

I've just had a call with contact details of a pretty upmarket venue local to me down here in the SE. A networking contact of mine happenend to meet the General Manager and mentioned me and how I work with clients offering a fully consultative service (including some of the things Chris mentioned above, like personal meetings, music input etc), and the GM said he would be interested in talking with me.
I know this venue operates with their own DJ's exclusively, and charges a good wack for a wedding, so it will be interesting to see how things go.

Will report back later.

I would like to say that I would be happy to work in this way if the client was told honestly why the venue operated the policy (to maintain standards, reliability, image) before booking the venue, and if the payment was in line with the function/venue rather than an opportunity to bundle the service and squeze the supplier.

Let's see...........

Vinnie

Fingers Crossed for you Vinny... But please quote a fair price that you would charge for that kind of gig... Of cause with a discount if you feel warrented for block work... And lets see if s/he quibles on the price at all...

Hope im wrong but I bet price will still be an issue here..

But all the best

Nik