Dj's United

Interview with Ollygeorge

Taking advantage of the cheap air fairs, I nipped over to Bristol for the afternoon to ask Olly a few questions:

1. What is your DJU Forum Alias?

Ollygeorge

2. What is your Real Name, Age, Location & Marital Status?

Oliver George, 26, Bristol, Single

3. What is the Name of your Disco?

Twilight Entertainment

www.twilightentertainment.co.uk

4. How long have you been a DJ?

Five Years

5. What inspired you to become a DJ

The love of a good time, having the ability to make people laugh and enjoy themselves. Oh and I do love the technology and must admit to have a massive grin on my face when I turn it up, and really the same as anyone else the love of music, and not just one type.

6. Are you a member of a DJ Association / Union?

No

7. What is your favourite type of function now? (eg: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, etc)

Marquee Weddings

8. What’s the worst/most embarrassing thing you've done in front of an audience?

There are probably loads but cant think of any now, I have said people names wrong before over the microphone, but just admitted my mistake and turned it in to a bit of a joke. Other than that said the wrong name of the next track.

9. If you could go back to the beginning of your DJ career is there anything that you'd do differently? (eg: The gear that you bought, the way you promoted/advertised yourself)

No happy with the way things have gone, sorry boring answer

10. What do you feel you offer the public that convinces them to book you rather than "the next guy/girl"?

Being able to break down the “barrier” between the Disco and the audience. I use my abilities to have some fun play games, and most of all very important this next one, READ THE AUDIENCE. If something is not working change it! This doesn’t mean put your next in line “dancy” song on. Slow it down, play something for all ages.

11. Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadn't? and why?

There is a lot of “budget equipment out there and if you want it to last don’t buy it. I have only done it once and that was a goal post gantry for lights. Broke the first time out, complete waste of money, and I went back to my old powerdrive stand But hey I have got to learn as well but I wont be making the same mistake twice.

12. What's your next DJ purchase likely to be?

1. Wind up powerdrive lighting tripod times two.

2. Some more lights to complete my second set up.

3. Radio headset for kids parties

13. If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

Lighter equipment??

14. What was the worst equipment failure suffered during a gig?

I had a light destroy itself! Dodgy generator !

15. What do you think is the best thing about DJ'ing?

I think someone has mentioned it before during these interviews but when you build the audience up and then drop that tune and everyone goes mad.

16. What do you think is the worst thing about DJ'ing?

Heavy equipment, and the thought that people may not have enjoyed themselves. Very upsetting

17. What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything)?

Back ache, & if I find that it’s starting to take over my social life.

18. How do you think DJ'ing will change, in the next 5 years?

Completely digital, LED Lights, I would like to think that “cowboys” will be a thing of the past but then there is always a market for the £65 DJ. Other than this not sure!

19. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

Play something decent! (This really grinds on me)

20. Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

Make friends with the band, ask them where you would like the disco to set up so that it wont get in your way. Priceless

21. And worst advice you were ever given?

Buy that goalpost lighting crappy thing on ebay

22. How do you keep up to date with music? (eg Promo monthly CDs, Downloads, Purchase from retailer)

Monthly master mix, and purchases usually in supermarkets rummaging thought their bargain big, where I might add some of my best CD’s have come from.

23. Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill the dance floor for you!

Brian Adams - Summer of 69

Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes - I’ve had the time of my life

Bee Gees – Night Fever

24. One piece of advice you'd give to someone just starting out.

Go for it

Buy the best you can

FLIGHTCASES for everything

Don’t be scared of the microphone use it to your advantage

25. What medium format do you mainly use eg vinyl, CD, hard-drive?

CD’d, Minidisc, IPOD

26. Have you embraced/adapted any ideas that you've read about on DJU?

There is some really good advice on here and I cant think of anything directly but probably sub consciously yes. Big pat on the back to everyone.

27. What is your best gig ever and your worst?

Best:

Badminton Horse Trials after show party, awesome night, everyone was hammered, played on for hours after I was meant to stop, Prince Harry was there and spoke to me although I did not recognise him until after, and had a bra thrown at me. Yes this is what it is all about!!

Worst:

18th Birthday party no one turned up enough said!!

28. What is your main (most successful) form of advertising your disco?

Have not advertised for 12 months all word of mouth. At the end of the day you are performing in front of 50 / 80 / 100+ people at every gig so this is your target customers

29. Have you ever had someone try to claim off you? (eg: Public Liability Insurance or other such legal action)

No

How many gigs do you do a year, how many would you like to do?

100 gigs roughly and that's how I want to keep it

What is your average charge for a booking?

£95 Kids

£160 standard gig until 12

£200 after midnight

How many tracks do you have in your music collection?

Don’t know 1000’s

good man ! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/notworthy.gif

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

With just 5 year's experience, you certainly seem to know the job.

Great interview! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/cool.gif

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/goodjob.gif enjoyed the read.

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

Very helpful and useful advice there sir http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/thanks.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/notworthy.gif

Good Reading...Mature Outlook....Nice One http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/cool.gif

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!