Dj's United

Darren , you say you are now using your mackies with 2 powered bass bins. I have a set of 18" passive Behringer Bins which I think I will try out witth my Mackies. Initially I am going to use 1 bin to see what this sounds like. I take it that you still drive your Mackies full range and cut back a bit on the Bass , and let the built in x-over on the bins do their work? Or do you configure you system another way?

Woody

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

No crossover needed, the mackies and the skytecs each contain an xlr through.

so you can go directly from the mixer into either the tops or the subs, and through to the other speekers.

I use tthe Mackies as I've always used them and just tweek the volume of the base bins dependant on how much base is needed.

I tend to run the tops on their own for the first half of the function, then as the room starts to fill up, add the base bins.

Works very well and sounds bloody awsom.

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

I run the mackies with a single mackie swa1501 sub ( also powered ) gives loads of level and not really neede to get a second one ( crowds up to 250 usually ).

I've also modified the back of my mackie 450's by adding a 15cm square mains powered fan ( pc style ) mounted in the center of the heatsink where it connects to the circuit board inside. Since adding I have never overheated them !!

Hayd

• 2 weeks later...

Now used my Mackies with a single bin and with the pair which I will only use if I'm going to be in a large 300+ type venue. Very pleased with this system and wish I had splashed out 6 months ago.

Woody

• 4 weeks later...

Last New Years eve we supported a duo who had two Mackie subs with the 450's on top using the built in crossovers (I think) they sounded sweeeeeeeet ! and they only had them at half power for a crowd of 250.

We sounded like a fart in a thunder storm by the end of the night we were drooling. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif

On the weight side of things the "Female" singer carried out the 450's on her own ! and all their kit went into a Galaxy.

We want some http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif

AJsounds & Co (the old man)

adamriggs255@hotmail.com

Band had 6 of them as foldbacks, along with 4 bass bins foldbacks, and 15kw of main power, sounded great.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

• 2 months later...

I was lucky enough to be in the market for some new speakers about 24 months ago and auditioned a set of the SRM450's and the previous model of sub SRS... forget the full model number. ANyway I can honestly say that despite the price they are worth going overdrawn for. Never had them cut out once, sound is crisp and natual at high or low levels and the ease with which you can set them up makes these the best gig speakers I have ever had. My only criticism would be that they would have been better to carpet the subs rather than paint them as they get knocked and scratched easily after some time on the road. I'm a dab hand at carpeting cabs so I did so with mine after the warranty ran out. One thing I have noticed with other posts is this cutting out problem. If you drive these too hard and have the volume control on the units beyond the 12 'o' clock position then first thing you will do is destroy the sub harmonic filter in the SRMs (I have this info on good authority) which is an expensive repair and second the increase in excessive voltage on the audio input will result in the amplifers working harder than they should be so they get too hot and cut out. If they are used as Mackie instructs - you will never have a problem. Of course, excessive room temperature is something none of us can do anything about so here's a simple idea. Get a couple of cheap battery fans and some long 32mm dia G clamps. Attach the fans to the clamps and attach the clamps to the speaker stand/pole under the SRM450. Turn on the fans and direct at the heatsink. The increased airflow on the heatsink will help to keep the temperature down - SIMPLE.

• 1 month later...

Just popped in to say

"hi-yer"

I also use a pair of Mackie SRM 450's coupled with an Behringer EQ and it's musik to one's ears...

Thumbs up, wonderful design, crisp and pleasing to the eye, one product that many other manufactors are doing best to compete with but to date short of the margin that MACKIE have achieved...

Health and Happiness for the festive season and all the very best for 2005

Warmest Regards

Barry

aka

DJ~hi-yer

Name: DJ "Hi-Yer "

Listen to Past, Present and Future weekly by logging on to

www.icrfm.co.uk

Friday 4.30pm -6.30pm

Mobile Phone: 0774-615-2244~Barry

Direct Line: 01728 747515

Area of cover: Mainly Essex, Cambridge, Suffolk, Norfolk but flexible...

Public Liability Insurance Covered: YES

Portable Appliance Tested: YES

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently checking out some new speakers and amplifier.I want to get my speakers sorted first.

I had never even considered going powered but today I "roadtested" 3-Peavey,Mackie and some that I have not heard mentioned on this forum-LEM.

Now I am assuming that they were all within the same range and I was impressed.The sound from the LEM was to my ears,superb.It blew the Peavey away and was better than the Mackie(EQ flat).They cost about £900.

Has anybody seen ,got or used these.CP;can you get them?

This is not a rehearsal

This is it - grab it while you can.

I have just checked out the LEM speakers again and apparently they do a small (in size) bass bin,for about £300.The bass bins in the Cyclops or Hurcules range are just too big for me to handle even though they have wheels on them.I know that the majority of mobiles dont tend to use bass bins but just in case I need some extra power, for the size and cost, I think it might be a sound investment.What do you think guys-passive/powered?

This is not a rehearsal

Sounds quite reasonable for a powered bass bin . I have a pair of mackie 450's + the 1501 powered sub , plenty of power but pricey at £700 for the sub alone !

I'm sure there are plenty of threads on the passive / powered debate , have a search :-)

Hayd

More techie questions I'm afraid.

Some systems have powered subs driving the top cabs-HK LUCAS 600 like Andy has, for instance.

Now if you have something like the powered Mackie 450's that you probably use on their own, what happens when you use the 1501 sub,how do you connect them up?

Do you take the signal to the sub first and then connect the top cabs to the sub?

If so does that mean your amp in the 1501 is running the top cab, therefore bypassing the amp in your top cab?

Or do you take the base signal from your mixer direct to the sub and leave the tops connected to the outputs of your mixer?

This is not a rehearsal

Check out the Mackie Website , you can download a "hook up" diagram that shows all the possible configuratiuons with Mackie systems. With a single Mackie bin the sound is input direct from the mixer to the bin and split from the bin to each of the tops.

Woody

Sorry if I am repeating myself Haydn.When you are using your sub,is the amp in the sub running your top cabs or is it just sending the sound signal to them and they work as normal ie using their own built in amp.

The reason I am asking is if you recall the small base bin I mentioned with regard to the LEM powered speaker.

Quote;I have just checked out the LEM speakers again and apparently they do a small (in size) bass bin,for about £300.

I am not sure what the output is on these and because they are small compared to the Mackie bins and that much cheaper I am worried in case there is not enough power output for what I want.I had a demo of this system and I was impressed with the sound;at the time;but you know how it is,when you get home you can think of all sorts of things you should have found out about and didnt.

This is not a rehearsal

The tops still use their own amps the bass bin has either line out ( same as the input to it from the mixer ) or High pass ( ie same as line out but with the bass removed ) .

Each speaker in this kind of system uses it's own amp with line level inputs.

I don't know much about the LEM's but if the tops are powered they will also use their own amps with a bass bin.

Hayd

Been selling some stuff recently, and have found an absolute mint second hand bargain on a pair of mackie sw 15001 subs,

I heard a band using them who I was working alongdside with and I was really impressed. I'm going to use my gemini cabs a long side them.

To be honest I don't see that there are any limitations of active speakers for mobile djs. Things are less likely to go wrong, and if they do the situation is easier to resolve. Less stuff to carry etc.

I have also heard the srm 450s, they are really nice sounding cabs, the heat factor worries me though. Who said they were HEAVY! Oh my word, I carry 30kg gemini tops with relative ease and I'm a 5ft 14 year old.

• 5 months later...

Good point.. they look much better than the SRM450s..

I know mackie did start using cheaper drivers at one point though.. mabye its something to do with that...

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263

Ive been told they are heavier and not as good on the mid range freq? But only from the guy i bought my 450's from...Done 6 gigs with my 450's and single 1501 sub now in the last month since ive had them..good bass, and mid top, heavey compared to DB's etc but worth the extra effort i think! Never over heated and cheap in price now compared to what they were. I got mine for £850 brand new and the sub was £520 new Covers were £40 for the two 450's

Just have dial on back at 1 oclock never to be turned above that and will never overheat. (so i believe) http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html//emoticons/tongue.gif

• 5 months later...

Ran my SRM450s for the first time last night.

Was very impressed. In a medium sized room with 60 people. Ran the dial on the back of them at 9 o'clock (yes, just 9 o'clock) all night, and my mixer master was at 11 o'clock and it was more than loud enough for the room. My LED's weren't even going into the Yellow.

On the speaker - I turned off the "low cut" for added bass and also turned on "mid pass" for that U-Shaped frequency respnse; and had my mixer EQs all at 12 o'clock all night.

The bass was fantastic - very warm and deep, I could have increased the low EQ from my Mixer to get that nightclub "boom boom" effect but didn't. Highs were crisp and clear too. They kept the clarity and full range frequency response even at high voulmes.

Sounded very good.

For larger rooms I'd turn on LOW PASS (to cutt off the bass) and turn off MID PASS and run them at higher power as tops, in conjuncion with separate bass bins.

As for weight - I'm not very strong (and have an injured shoulder) and was still able to lift them about 5 feet up onto stands.

Edited by JonWhittaker

Last night - used my SRM450s for the second time, at my biggest gig of the year, and they performed amazingly.

I brought along two passive backup speakers as I was worried that the 450s on their own would not be loud enough - but how wrong I was!

I used just 2x SRM450s and a single 250w passive bassbin - playing to 400 people in a large room, they were very loud and the clarity was fantastic.

Ran the dial on the back at 12 o'clock and thrashed the master output on the mixer, and the Peak warning signals on the back of the speakers only flashed briefly once - a warning to say you've reached the limit - but to be fair, in a 4 hour gig, this only happened once. I hit the "low cut" button on the back so that they acted as tops only (and thus got more power out of them, as bass at high volumes consumes a lot of the 450's power) - and let the passive bassbin do its thing for the lows.

The area of the room was 415.2m - rather large.

Will try and upload some piccys

Edited by JonWhittaker