Dj's United

Hi All

I'm using the trial version of PCDJ.....getting on ok with it and Im almost tempted to buy it......but it has a couple of major things wrong with it......or maybe i aint doing it right lol

1) When you have set your playlist it dont seem to be possible to alter the playorder? I used to do that all the time in other software. Find it really hard to believe that PCDJ wont do it.

2) Whenever I scan for BPM, it scans ok.....appears correctly when the track is loaded into the deck. Then the next time you look at the track in the record case view the BPM has gone back to zero but still appears correct if the track is loaded up to the deck.

Other than those things it seems excellent, and I would like to purchase, but I wont be buying it if I cant get over these two problems.

HELP please, times running out between now and my next job, and I would love to be using it for my next gig.

Cheers

Nick

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't comment on PCDJ as I've never used it. However Traktor have just launched an update with a much improved BPM analyzer. The playlists are great to use too, change them, lock them, export them, print them - whatever! It was only released yesterday with all the early feedback on the forums has been good. They also offer a 30 day trial period. I've used it for two plus years and can't praise it highly enough. If you're looking about I would strongly suggest giving Traktor a try. http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?id=djline_us

Edited by dj.silver

I once read about the evils of heavy drinking ................ so I've stopped reading

COPYWIGHT: Elmer Fudd 1956, All wights wesewved.

Hi DJ Silver

I have been using Traktor 3 right from the start, yea its good cant fault it too much.

My only major problems with it are:

1) It wont do karaoke, and I really need a DJ progy that will do both disco and Karaoke to save switching betweem two programs.

2) Dont much like the "auto" play features.......unless I havn't worked out how to do it......their dosn't seem to be any control on when the current track finishes and the next track starts. I have tried it and thier allways seems to be a slight gap between current and next track starting.

3) Cant run DRM protected tracks, I know its meant to run Itunes but I cant ever get it to play them. I was hoping to be able to run Napster downloaded protected WMA's.

PCDJ with KJ seems to offer what Im missing with Karaoke and DRM enabled......but the problem I highlighted in the original post remains and I just cant live with it being the way it is at the moment.

Nick

Hi NRG,

Point 1. Can't say anything about that, it doesn't do it.

Point 2. You can set 'in' and 'out' markers on each track. So when you reach the 'out' marker on track A, track B will kick in on the 'in' marker. Last year I set up 1.5hrs of silly dancey stuff for NYE, to kick in at midnight, absolutely brill. You can also adjust the time from the end of the track when the next track is due to fade in I set mine for about 20 secs. Track A gets to the 20 seconds to go point and track B kicks in.

Point 3. You're right, the only way around it is to burn them onto a disc from your itunes playlist and then rip them, bit of a pain but it works.

I think the biggest downer for you is the lack of Karaoke :(

However have you seen the latest version T3.2 that came out yesterday, it is really A1. You can now play a track in deck A, have it playing ten drag and drop into another deck and carries on playing, loops and all, awesome fun :joe: .

Anyway good luck.

I once read about the evils of heavy drinking ................ so I've stopped reading

COPYWIGHT: Elmer Fudd 1956, All wights wesewved.

Hi

Yea I like Traktor 3.......but I really think its a bit complicated for my use......I will be honest i dont even understand even a quarter of its full capabilities.......but it seems to be good....just wish I knew how to operate it properly......bigest problem I had with Traktor 3 is it has crashed on a couple of occasions (luckily only while I was playing at home).....and just at the start of a gig......it chucked a complete mental forgot all the stripes and everything, it was stuffed big time!!! had to blag my way through on my small collection of CD's till my Roadie could get it up and running again, just wanted to find a hole and crawl into it!

Still looking for help on the PCDJ questions though, for the simple reason that PCDJ will handle karaoke......

Or if anyone has anyother sugestions for a DJ/KJ Proggy that will meet my needs then Im all ears....

Cheers

Nick

I used OTSDJ for many years but fancied a change, so played around with a few alternative software packages and have ended up using SAM BROADCASTER which is excellent, they also do another package with a naff name called SAM PARTY DJ but works flawlessly, interface is a bit bland but hey who see's what your viewing on the lappie. Both packages come highly recommended and are by a company called SPACIAL AUDIO and can be found here

http://www.spacialaudio.com/

I used OTSDJ for many years but fancied a change, so played around with a few alternative software packages and have ended up using SAM BROADCASTER which is excellent, they also do another package with a naff name called SAM PARTY DJ but works flawlessly, interface is a bit bland but hey who see's what your viewing on the lappie. Both packages come highly recommended and are by a company called SPACIAL AUDIO and can be found here

Hi

Yea I have tried SAM.......quite liked it....might even give it another wirl.....but alas NO KARAOKE :wall:

I begining to think I may just have to put up with a proggy that I dont really like, simply coz their is no alternative. Maybe Im just an arkward bugger that will never be happy with the DJ/KJ proggy I use......what do they say about bad workmen blaming thier tools :wacko:

Cheers anyway.......

Nick

Hi Nick

I use PCDJ Red, so can hopefully answer your questions.

To change the play order in the waitlist, you have to click on the top of the number column first to put them in the order that PCDJ has numbered them, then you can drag the drags up or down. BUT, you have to have the mouse over a column other than the first 2 or it doesn't work.

I've now stopped using the waitlist and just drop tracks into the decks as I want them. When leaving the laptop playing background music, during a meal or buffet, I just set one of my lists to be default playlist and use either play or shuffle.

For your BPM's in the recordcase, it sounds to me like you need to refresh the group/subgroup after you have done a BPM/gain scan.

Hope this helps

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

Hi

Yea I have tried SAM.......quite liked it....might even give it another wirl.....but alas NO KARAOKE :wall:

I begining to think I may just have to put up with a proggy that I dont really like, simply coz their is no alternative. Maybe Im just an arkward bugger that will never be happy with the DJ/KJ proggy I use......what do they say about bad workmen blaming thier tools :wacko:

Cheers anyway.......

Nick

Got to be honest like i stated i had used OTS for 4 years ... and didnt honestly think anything would touch it, but after using SAM for the last 6 months im most impressed. Its really stable & can basically do anything OTS can, even got a built in jingle cart, best of all in comparison to other Dj packages its a real steal. SAM PARTY DJ , thats all you relly need is only $49.99 DOLLARS with near enough 2$ to the pound thats approx £25 GBP with great support ! :dan+ju:

Edited by Bolan-Boogie

Hi Nick

I use PCDJ Red, so can hopefully answer your questions.

To change the play order in the waitlist, you have to click on the top of the number column first to put them in the order that PCDJ has numbered them, then you can drag the drags up or down. BUT, you have to have the mouse over a column other than the first 2 or it doesn't work.

I've now stopped using the waitlist and just drop tracks into the decks as I want them. When leaving the laptop playing background music, during a meal or buffet, I just set one of my lists to be default playlist and use either play or shuffle.

For your BPM's in the recordcase, it sounds to me like you need to refresh the group/subgroup after you have done a BPM/gain scan.

Hope this helps

Hi

The BPM thing seems to work ok, other than it crashed half way through the refresh. Maybe I tried to refresh too many all at the same time, tried to refresh around 400 tracks. So I will try that again later.

And as for the waitlist.......Got them numbered in order from top to bottom i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5............But it still dont seem to matter where I click I cant drag them to a new postition i.e. put number 4 in position 1?

Any further ideas mate?

Cheers

Nick

Do pcdj have a users forum or similar ?

I have found these great help in the past.

Hi All

I'm using the trial version of PCDJ.....getting on ok with it and Im almost tempted to buy it......but it has a couple of major things wrong with it......or maybe i aint doing it right lol

1) When you have set your playlist it dont seem to be possible to alter the playorder? I used to do that all the time in other software. Find it really hard to believe that PCDJ wont do it.

2) Whenever I scan for BPM, it scans ok.....appears correctly when the track is loaded into the deck. Then the next time you look at the track in the record case view the BPM has gone back to zero but still appears correct if the track is loaded up to the deck.

Other than those things it seems excellent, and I would like to purchase, but I wont be buying it if I cant get over these two problems.

HELP please, times running out between now and my next job, and I would love to be using it for my next gig.

Cheers

Nick

Having read further into your post Nick.. didnt really notice that you were in trail mode, i expect its fully functional. If you have yet to part with your hard earned cash then have a browse around the net & download a couple of trial software packages, have a play around with them and see which you feel you are most comfartable with.

Like i stated in an earlier post, i used to use PCDJ RED Version, before moving on to OTSDJ , but have moved onto SAM DJ software which is without a doubt the most affordable option which is nothing less than excellent. But dont make a rash decision take your time and really trial these proggies ! Not saying Sam is Better than any of the other software but, it suits me personally & thats what its all about ! :rolleyes:

Edited by Bolan-Boogie

Got to be honest like i stated i had used OTS for 4 years ... and didnt honestly think anything would touch it, but after using SAM for the last 6 months im most impressed. Its really stable & can basically do anything OTS can, even got a built in jingle cart, best of all in comparison to other Dj packages its a real steal. SAM PARTY DJ , thats all you relly need is only $49.99 DOLLARS with near enough 2$ to the pound thats approx £25 GBP with great support ! :dan+ju:

Where did you get it for $49 as it says $99 on their site? - or have they put the price up?

Where did you get it for $49 as it says $99 on their site? - or have they put the price up?

Apologies i stand corrected its £49.99 GBP... still cheap in comparison to other software out there !!

Apologies i stand corrected its £49.99 GBP... still cheap in comparison to other software out there !!

I think I'll download the trial version. I've tried PCDJ and it crashed a couple of times which undermined my confidence in it a bit. I like OTS and am tempted to buy it but will give SAM a go first.

I think I'll download the trial version. I've tried PCDJ and it crashed a couple of times which undermined my confidence in it a bit. I like OTS and am tempted to buy it but will give SAM a go first.

If you need any advice on settings, im happy to help out !

Hi

s

Yea I have trialed most of the mainstream DJ/KJ Programs.

Trouble is I find that most of them give you limitations during the trial so its a bit hard to gauge what the full version of the program is capable of doing or not doing.....

The Only reason Im pretty keen to get PCDJ working properly is because....

1) Its karaoke compatible, and from what I have seen so far its Karaoke hosting is quite capable and easy to use.

2) PCDJ will play DRM protected music, unlike most of the others you can use napster downloaded music. I dont have time to pop down to the record store on a regular basis as I juggle the business with a full time job so music downloads are the simplest sollution for me.

I dont know, maybe I will have to use a seperate DJ & Karaoke program.......I will keep trialing and searching for the perfect solution, but I dont hold out much hope.

I hear OTS DJ has just added a Karaoke plug-in.....will probbably look into that, but the trouble with OTS is is its hideously expensive in my oppinion.

Does anyone know the difference between SAM Party DJ and SAM broadcaster? I think the only difference is web streaming on broadcaster, which is something Im never gonna need so maybe SAM Party DJ would serve my needs.

Nick

I tried all the demos and settled on Sam DJ as I liked its uncomplicated interface and easy on the eye visuals, really good database and song title/artist/album search, and of course the price helped too.

I do like the beatmixing qualities of Virtual DJ but hate the visuals and I found the song search facility a nightmare.

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

I tried all the demos and settled on Sam DJ as I liked its uncomplicated interface and easy on the eye visuals, really good database and song title/artist/album search, and of course the price helped too.

I do like the beatmixing qualities of Virtual DJ but hate the visuals and I found the song search facility a nightmare.

Glad someone agree's (Good on yer Ed !)

For the money its a good bit of kit, music handles 50,000 files with ease (according to web) !

PCDJ

Select your list, "RIGHT CLICK" then make it your default playlist. It will not deviate or go back to your "LOG" or "WAITLIST".

You will also see a red square around your playlist icon on the left hand side of the screen. (even more screen if you are flash like me and use a widescreen laptop with a 19" TFT on external video)

Yep, I am sold on Sam Party. It is so easy to use and seems to have a lot more functions than the basic OTS. I like the track search facility. Easy to set the fade out and in points of each track. Hasn't crashed at all yet. Does everything I want. I like the way you can easily set up category folder and have folders within the folders. The sound effects could be fun too! Will have more of a play with it tomorrow.

I had a quick play with the demo of SAM last night. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it listed all the tracks by artist/track name. Does anyone know if this can be changed? I'm not talking about the order they're listed in, it's the format ie: Eric Prydz - Call On Me. I would prefer Call On Me - Eric Prydz.

Have to say I liked the search facility, more like Itunes and very fast, and all the drag and drop seems to work well. It also appears to be very light on resources, so if I can sort out the above, I may well switch from PCDJ.

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

We're very much down to personal taste at this level now.

All I can say is that (apart from the Karaoke, which I have no use for anyway), PCDJ FX VRM can be used for the original query. and I must admit that I found (after dloading all the trials possible), that this sware suits ME best!!!

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

I had a quick play with the demo of SAM last night. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it listed all the tracks by artist/track name. Does anyone know if this can be changed? I'm not talking about the order they're listed in, it's the format ie: Eric Prydz - Call On Me. I would prefer Call On Me - Eric Prydz.

Have to say I liked the search facility, more like Itunes and very fast, and all the drag and drop seems to work well. It also appears to be very light on resources, so if I can sort out the above, I may well switch from PCDJ.

This can be done, but cant think how to without seeing it in front of me, will come back to you on it.

Dont forget theres an excellent support forum for this software at www.spacialaudio.com

Hi

errr......does SAM DJ do DRM protected music......if not then its gonna be about as popular as a fart in a crowded lift for me......

I also remember trying sam.....and loading tracks into the playlist was a doddle, and I love the way it tells you when each track is gonna be played too, so when you get the pain punter coming up saying "I asked you for a request a while ago, are you gonna play it or what?" you can reply "I most certainly am, it will be played at 20:34" just the thing for keeping the punters happy LOL

However loading the tracks into the playlist was easy.....so was getting them to play one after another.....but how do you stop it loading the next one if you decided you needed a pause to make some big announcment?

That might sound simple, I didnt play with it that much, but I can remember it annoying me somewhat.

Nick

Hi

errr......does SAM DJ do DRM protected music......if not then its gonna be about as popular as a fart in a crowded lift for me......

I also remember trying sam.....and loading tracks into the playlist was a doddle, and I love the way it tells you when each track is gonna be played too, so when you get the pain punter coming up saying "I asked you for a request a while ago, are you gonna play it or what?" you can reply "I most certainly am, it will be played at 20:34" just the thing for keeping the punters happy LOL

However loading the tracks into the playlist was easy.....so was getting them to play one after another.....but how do you stop it loading the next one if you decided you needed a pause to make some big announcment?That might sound simple, I didnt play with it that much, but I can remember it annoying me somewhat.

Nick

Just push the Auto DJ button once and turn it to manual. Then it will only play a track when you push the play button on the deck, at the end of the track it will stop again until you push the play button again, pushing the manual button will put you back in Auto mode.

Where can I get a DRM protected track to try?

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens