Dj's United

Dont think any of the Dj software will play DRM files ?

Why the hell do you want DRM files anyway, basically DRM files would be illegal anyway as they would only be licensed to use on one pc whilst your a member of any particular download service !

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the hell do you want DRM files anyway, basically DRM files would be illegal anyway as they would only be licensed to use on one pc whilst your a member of any particular download service !

Why would I want it to play DRM protected files......well because Im a subscriber to Napster, and I do only play them on one PC, my own PC. As for the legalities of using Napster Downloads for DJ work, to tell the truth I aint too sure if its legal or not seems to depend on who you ask.

As far as I can see I'm paying for the music I get off Napster so its no different to me going down the high street and buying a CD, I have had it pointed out to me that Napsters T&C's say something like "Not for public performance or broadcasting".........so thierfore DJ'ing is classed as a public performance.....or is it?....I have heard that if your DJ'ing a Private event I.e. a birthday party/wedding/anniversary then its ok......if however your using them for a Corporate function or Pub Performance then they are technically illegal. But then if you look inside the case of every shop bought CD it will say something similar to Napsters T&C's........so are they technically illegal too.......truth is I dont actually know LOL

But Im sure somebody reading this will know the law inside out and will correct me if Im wrong.....

And in answer to your first question, PCDJ WILL play DRM prottected files.......i.e. Napster Downloads.....and I believe Virtual DJ does too, but I havn't tried it. I need a player to play DRM files because I dont have the time to go down the town every week to purchase CD's off the shelf, so downloading is a simple solution for me, but I do allways purchase my tracks off LEGAL download sites so I think its the same legal wise as shop bought CD's, but I could be wrong LOL

But back to my original post....

Still having trouble with PCDJ:

1) I scan a folder for BPM and Gain Values.......Some tracks come up with the BPM after scanning some do not. And some tracks come up with the Gain values but MOST do not. So does anybody know why this could be happening as I really need to scan every track for BPM and Gain.

2) PCDJ KJ - All my Karaoke files are named like SF001-01 - Abdul, Paula - Straight up. Have managed to use "TagNRename" to alocate the "Song" & "Artitst" into the ID3 tag, perfect or so I thought. When I first loaded them in they appeared correctly on the singers screen, saying who was singing next and what song they was singing, the song appeared like "Straight up (Abdul, Paula)" Perfect! thats exactly how I wanted it. And now for some bizare reason when loading a track into the deck the song on the singers screen now appears like "(01)SF001"????? Their seems to be no reason as to why this has altered, can anyone help please?

Appologies for rambling, I do go on a bit don't I :rolleyes:

Cheers

Nick

Hi

Just read one of your other posts, Im presuming that you have a napster subscription which you use for DJ use?

Napster files are DRM protected, so if you aint playing them on DJ software, how are you playing them? Or maybe I have misunderstood and you aint using them for DJ use?

Nick

I had a quick play with the demo of SAM last night. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it listed all the tracks by artist/track name. Does anyone know if this can be changed? I'm not talking about the order they're listed in, it's the format ie: Eric Prydz - Call On Me. I would prefer Call On Me - Eric Prydz.

Have to say I liked the search facility, more like Itunes and very fast, and all the drag and drop seems to work well. It also appears to be very light on resources, so if I can sort out the above, I may well switch from PCDJ.

If you go to the playlist categories window and scroll down to groups, it gives you the option to list by title, artist, album, year or genre. Maybe not exactly what you are asking but close!

Hi

Just read one of your other posts, Im presuming that you have a napster subscription which you use for DJ use?

Napster files are DRM protected, so if you aint playing them on DJ software, how are you playing them? Or maybe I have misunderstood and you aint using them for DJ use?

Nick

As actually mentioned elsewhere, PCDJ does play WMA-DRM files, and up to three PCs/laptops are 'licensed' under the Napster agreement!

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

So Tony whats your overall opinion of SAM ? :dan+ju:

Its the first DJ package download I have tried that easy and intuitive to use. As i mentioned before, I like the search system and the way you can easily set up folders for different categories. It is also easy to scroll through the list of tracks and drag and drop tracks into the playlist.

For the price, you get a lot of "bangs for your bucks". There is still a lot it can do that I haven't explored yet but it fits in nicely with the way I like to work.

Hi

Im trialing SAM Dj once more.........

How do you load your own sound effects into the buttons?

Is thier a way of scanning a whole folder for BPM and gain values?

Nick

In the playlist categories box, scroll down and click on the content star then click on the sound FX folder.

You can either add effects to existing folders or create new folders (right click and select new, then folder)

To add effects, click on folder, for example animals, then in the box below, Tracks in Selected Categories, there is a drop down list next to the green plus sign. Select add file.

Cheers Tony :-)

Im starting to like SAM now.....two things put me off........No Karaoke and no DRM files......but Im liking so much of SAM I think I might be able to put up with the niggles.............

Love the way you can set the intro to give to a countdown to the vocal.......so you can chat on the mike without stomping all over the singer when they start.....thats kewl :cool:

Talking of mike talk-over........when I key the mike talkover instead of it just fadeing down the main audio it aslo makes it kinda echo......whats that all about.....

And Im still looking for the answer to my PCDJ question, please help.

Nick

Cheers Tony :-)

Im starting to like SAM now.....two things put me off........No Karaoke and no DRM files......but Im liking so much of SAM I think I might be able to put up with the niggles.............

Love the way you can set the intro to give to a countdown to the vocal.......so you can chat on the mike without stomping all over the singer when they start.....thats kewl :cool:

Talking of mike talk-over........when I key the mike talkover instead of it just fadeing down the main audio it aslo makes it kinda echo......whats that all about.....

And Im still looking for the answer to my PCDJ question, please help.

Nick

I noticed the echo on the Mic but I would use the Mic plugged into the mixer which has automatic voice over level. There must be a way to change it. Will have another play later.

I already have the BPM set for my tracks, I have Creative MediaSource which came with my MP3 player. You can point it at a folder and it will go through and update the tag with the BPM (as long as it is an MP3). But it is a pain that SAM DJ it doesn't show the BPM in the track listing.

I've got a load of tracks I downloaded from Itunes and they are M4a instead of MP3 which SAM DJ won't read so I'll have to go through and convert them to MP3.

PCDJ will be a project for another time for me. It crashed twice when I used the trial version and its not something I would like to happen at a gig so it got binned but it seems it is all the rage on the continent so would like to be able to get it working properly - later on.

Having had another play with the trial of SAM last night, the only thing that's now stopping me from buying it and dumping PCDJ Red is the way it displays the tracks.

It currently shows them like "Cher - Believe", but unless I can get it to show "Believe - Cher", then I won't be switching, which is a real pity as I do prefer it to PCDJ other than that.

I've tried the forum for SAM, but so far, no one has given me a suitable answer.

Quitting Smoking & Drinking doesn't make you live longer

It just feels like it.

Hi

Tony, I have found if you turn down the mike volume in the voice FX, it still dips the track volume and you dont get the annoying warbley feedback noise.

Paul, that iritates me too........and wouldnt it be better if it displayed the BPM in the Playlist/Quee List.....

But to be hones thats the only fault I can find with it, and I love everything else about it......so Im 90% sure Im gonna buy it and put up with the niggle.

Nick

Having had another play with the trial of SAM last night, the only thing that's now stopping me from buying it and dumping PCDJ Red is the way it displays the tracks.

It currently shows them like "Cher - Believe", but unless I can get it to show "Believe - Cher", then I won't be switching, which is a real pity as I do prefer it to PCDJ other than that.

I've tried the forum for SAM, but so far, no one has given me a suitable answer.

Try This Paul

Go to the playlist categories window and scroll down to groups, it gives you the option to list by title, artist, album, year or genre.

:otop: Sorry to have hijacked your thread NRG, I still haven't figured out your problem. You could try the PCDJ forum.

Boolan

Thanks for that, it is an improvement

http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/12/34209153468.jpg

but I tend to use my own groups like Motown, soul, first dance etc; and this is the display that niggles me. It's not as easy to read when your looking for a particular track.

http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/12/34209153596.jpg

According to the SAM forum, it's hard coded into the program and can't be changed.

It just feels like it.

Hi

Paul, I cant try the PCDJ Forum, as Im still on the demo version checking it out. I have asked in their forum but I got an email back saying they only assist registered usuers, and I aint prepared to become a registered user till I have found the answers to my question......so it looks like the makers of PCDJ may lose out on a sale if I cant get the answers.......however they may have lost out to SAM DJ for my cash anyways....lol No probbs for hijacking my thread......I have joined in with the :otop: discussions anyway, and Im glad anyway coz if we hadnt then I wouldnt be considering SAM which I "think" I like more than PCDJ anyway.

One big thing bothers me with SAM....

My hard drive is sorted into folders i.e. 50's, 60's, 70's etc.........

Its then sub-divided into album folders e.g. "Greatest No. 1's of the 50's"

When you add a folder, say, 50's into SAM it just places everything it finds within 50's into one big 50's folder.....I would like it to show each album folder wihtin the 50's folder seperately so if im stuck for a good 50's tune to play I can just go to the No. 1's of the 50's folder and know that Im gonna be playing something half decent for the punters.......Does that make sense?

Yea I know I can add them all in as seperate folders but it will take ages, and will also look messy when its done. I did like PCDJ for this reason coz the sub folders are stored within the main folders and you just open them up to look and see whats inside.

Cheers

Nick

this topit is ideal for me at the moment.. was just gonna put my time and money into pcdj and this sam comes along "crackin" :D

i gotta say i am impressed with sam dj im gonna buy it now but am i right in sying its 99$ because.....i thought i read further back that it was cheaper than that?? is that what you guys paid?

plus im with you Nick

When you add a folder, say, 50's into SAM it just places everything it finds within 50's into one big 50's folder.....I would like it to show each album folder wihtin the 50's folder seperately so if im stuck for a good 50's tune to play I can just go to the No. 1's of the 50's folder and know that Im gonna be playing something half decent for the punters.......

is there away to change this......

Edited by The Ogrady Roadshow

this topit is ideal for me at the moment.. was just gonna put my time and money into pcdj and this sam comes along "crackin" :D

i gotta say i am impressed with sam dj im gonna buy it now but am i right in sying its 99$ because.....i thought i read further back that it was cheaper than that?? is that what you guys paid?

plus im with you Nick

When you add a folder, say, 50's into SAM it just places everything it finds within 50's into one big 50's folder.....I would like it to show each album folder wihtin the 50's folder seperately so if im stuck for a good 50's tune to play I can just go to the No. 1's of the 50's folder and know that Im gonna be playing something half decent for the punters.......

is there away to change this......

Pm me your email address i will email you the operations manual ! :rolleyes:

Paul theres another option to your taggin issues with SAM.

Brilliant little proggie i use called Tag & Rename

its here

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

It easily allows you to change your tags/filenames to

Title - Artist

Artist - Title

Etc Etc

Rename your filenames from your tags. Database look up etc.

You have emailed me the instructions mate.......and I still cant get it to perform like I want it too.....I think its just the way it is....

However, that said......I like everything else about it, So I think i can live with it like that.

I dont think i will ever find a DJ proggy Im 100% happy with.......but SAM comes pretty close.

If I could sort out that issue.......it would be Perfect......

Nick

I dont think i will ever find a DJ proggy Im 100% happy with.......but SAM comes pretty close.

Nick

I've been trying different ones for nearly 2 years now, and every single one has at least one thing that puts me off. I don't think there is a perfect program out there for me.

Or maybe I'm just too picky.

its here

Title - Artist

Artist - Title

Etc Etc

That's an interesting idea. Nice one :Thumbup:

It just feels like it.

its here

Title - Artist

Artist - Title

Etc Etc

Yes, there are plenty of programs out there that will perform any kind of editing on your tags/filenames.....but it won't change the way that your software looks at them!!!

Cheers!

Roy B.

See you around!

its here

Title - Artist

Artist - Title

Etc Etc

Yes, there are plenty of programs out there that will perform any kind of editing on your tags/filenames.....but it won't change the way that your software looks at them!!!

Ah, but if I put the track title in artist, and the artist in track title, that should fool the software. :wacko:

It just feels like it.

its here

Title - Artist

Artist - Title

Etc Etc

Ah, but if I put the track title in artist, and the artist in track title, that should fool the software. :wacko:

True, but then the same goes for any editor, no?

Cheers!

Roy B.

See you around!