Dj's United

Hi all

Seems like a really good site compared to some of the others i have looked at.

ok a quick introduction

Im a dj virgin situated in Sunderland (north east) I am just starting out more as a hobby rather than something to fill the bank account with but i have loved my music since i was a young lad and thought after i took voluntary redundancy i would give the DJ thing a go.

Im still not to sure whether to go down the mobile disco route or try and get a resedancy somewere but i have so many questions and am getting so much conflicting advice,i am still not 100 percent what equipment to buy i have my laptop set up for as a back up but am using a tower for my main system with virtual dj on them,i have just purchased a mixer which all in together they seem to work fine , the reason im using the tower as the main system is that a few times while practising the lab top has over heated and froze and was told the tower would be the best.Ok so all i need now is a decent amp and some speakers I have had conflicting advise on this as well would be great if some one could let me no what i can buy for about £600 (on a bidget you see).

a few questions

Im bricking it just the thought of my first gig funny thing is im a really confident person but suppose like anything once you get the first one under ya belt should be ok but any advise would be great

How do i go about trying to work in the pubs sounds great if i go in and say no aint ever done this before

(should i get me coat now )

Anyways this was only supposed to be an introduction (sorry)

really look forwar to speaking to you all

regards

RosieR1

welcome along,

you will always get conflicting advice no matter what question you ask,some people have there favourite others have had a bit of equipment that kept going wrong and someone else could have the same piece and its kept going nicely for ages.

andy

Hi!

:D

Enjoy your time on here, and hope you get the answers to your questions!

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

Hello :djuhi: . You came to the wrong place if you are looking to make money being a DJ LOL! You will end up buying the best and latest gizmo's and gadgets so everything you earn will go into buying new kit!

Most common budget amps seem to be the behringer europower range and numark dimension. Budget about £230 for the amp which leaves you £370 for a pair of speakers but thats where there will be a differing of opinions! Best thing to do would be to find a retailer that would let you listen to different speakers. You may like to look at the Class D JAC range, Peavey and Wharfdale. Skytec also do a Pro range that have compression drivers instead of Piezzo horns which to me sound very good.

Welcome aboard.

With speakers, you have two options, either active (amps built in), or passive (needs separate amp). Without knowing how big a crowd you'll be playing out to, its very difficult to know what will suit you best.

With regards to the laptop v's tower debate, many here see towers as more reliable, and pound for pound, you do get more for your money. However, I try to keep things as light and portable as poss, and have a 'desktop replacement' laptop which works flawlessly.

If you are interested in a residency, I'm fairly sure you're going to need some experience on some real decks, and not be a virtual only DJ. There are alot of good software packages out there, but without the 'manual' knowledge to back it up, your mixing will not be as good.

I'm about to do my first gig on saturday (9th), and am really excited rather than nervous. I love the music I play, and am fortunate to have a niche in the market that doesn't mean I have to suffer hours of music thats just not to my taste. My bookings for dec and into the new year and flowing in regularly, and thats JUST from the website. All hail the internet!

Hi and :welcome:

Being a relative newbie to the DJ game myself (started earlier this year) and having bought loads of equipment, some I wouldn't be without and some I will rarely use and with hindsight I would have been better off not buying, I would suggest that you buy a pair of active speakers to start with.

I have these (PA302As) and these (PA502As) and really like them. They give you some built in redundancy (if one goes down you still have another) built in active x-overs and each cabinet is bi-amped. They also come with a 3 year warranty. The 15" versions do sound more punchy on the Bass than the 12" versions but are considerably larger and heavier although only a little more expensive. Total outlay so far between £330 and £400 depending on which you choose.

I would also choose a mixer, I use a Behringer Xenyx 1622FX but would have been happy with the T.Mix TX 1622FX (last years model) if they had had it in stock at the time. £100.

I would also buy a BEHRINGER MICROHD HD400 ground loop isolater as you will require this to prevent noise from your PC or Laptop costs £12

I would also budget to get a pair of speaker stands, they start at about £20 each (£40 a pair), but I would probably push the boat out and go for a pair of these (they will probably last you a lifetime, have a good capacity and again come with a three year warranty).

If you go with the PA302s all of this will cost you around £500 of your money, give you 3 years warranty on it all, and even though it is budget, it sounds bloody good. Once you are established and "raking in the money" you can opt to buy better gear.

I have had quite a few people tell me how good and clear my Disco sounds, so not in too much of a hurry to change, as I am getting a lot of bookings at the moment.

For the sound system for the majority of my gigs I use a pair of 12" PA302As with a small seperate 80 watt subwoofer, my 1622 FX Pro Mixer, a Behringer HD400, music run from a laptop. I also carry a spare laptop and spare mixer, 2 mikes and a load of leads. Sound system sorted.

Now lighting is a different game entirely.

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

Ed

Your a superstar you have made my mind up as this is roughly the same info i have been given from other people so im going to go for the PA502As plus the stands and BEHRINGER MICROHD HD400 i already have a mixer mic and stand.One question tho with the speakers im getting would you still advise using a seperate 80 watt subwoofer as well ? or would the sound be ok from just the speakers. so all that leaves me to get now is a decent DJ stand to put my equipment on and some lighting then i should be sorted (Hopefully)

Once again many thanks for the help

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again all

well ive started building my equipment up and have just purchased the following

A second hand laptop for back up

A brand new 60 gb laptop with dual processor Over 3000 songs on this now

sound blaster 24 bit external sound card

Kam 4 channel kcm 350 mixer

kam kxr 600 amp

2 kam ksf 15 speakers

Kam kxr 600 amp

2 adam hall goliath speaker stands

1 kam wireless mic kit

1 skytronic mic (back up)

Mic stand

4ft giraffe full dj stand with goal posts

Old sony cd player (back up)

Total outlay so far £1400.00

So im almost there should be getting my lights this week so should then be ready to go,im using virtual dj on the laptops as i find this the easiest and user friendly to use. i have the 2 channels from the laptop into sound card then into channel 1 and 2 of the mixer and have the cd player on channel 3 just incase the laptop frezzes or summit ill have a cd in there ready to pop straight on .I have the system set up in my office at home and think the system sounds great but will get a better idea when i can get it into a bigger room.

So now comes the moment of truth i need to get out there and get some work I have befriended the local DJ in one of the busy town pubs who has said after the new year hes going to take some time out on a few nights to show me the ropes i no that this will not be the same as the mobile thing but any kind of help at the moment is better than none .

The wife is very supportive of me doing this well she was untill i told ive getting rid of my beloved convertable and went down the 4x4 route as i couldnt even get me mic in the other car never mind speakers and amps and the such so shes not to pleased about that.

Any advise on what you guys think about the above setup would be greatly appreciated and even better some advise on lights im looking at a budget of about £200 to spend on these

Speak to ya all soon

RosieR1

Hi Brian

We live in a society where unlike many, many years ago, products of all types are designed to last for so long before either in part or whole need replacing. Makes and models of equipment will carry price tags that surprise both the investor and at times the blessing of the wallet but remember, what you invest in and feel happy with will not always please all who share, for example the home storage facilities (so be warned!!!)

I would say I think it's great that you have some of the 'no 1s' support and are going to get some tips and advice from a fellow DJ chappie. What an excellent start to DJing! Experience is experience so don't knock and absorb everything!

You are already saying what you find the easiest to work with and you've thought about buying / carrying back-up equipment which is sensible. Sound and lighting is an individuals choice...

You are right, a rig set-up in an environment which may be smaller than the typical gig venues (examples of where you have your eye on to work perhaps) can mislead such as the sound quality of a system. So when practicing or demoing gear, note audio differences!

Product wise, from experience what really counts at the end of the day is what both your clients and you are happy with. Yes, DJs can be product focused and immediately recognise another's kit and may even slate a 'badge name' but not all 'badge names' are crap....just particular names are universally considered crap!

You really have to try out any recommendations.

So once a few gigs are under the belt and re-investment/upgrade time appears then maybe you will look towards purchasing products which have superseded equipment already owned and then use the current for back-up and spare? As you gain more experience in the field, your interest to try out and demo the various other makes of kit available will gradually grab your attention sure.

Occasionally, there are members here who advertise second hand gear, but if you are itching to spend on lighting, maybe a nearby DJ retailer sells second-hand? I'm sure you could obtain some real bargains for the amount you quote.

Laptop tips is to only install original software required to do the job and leave everything else (non-essential programs) off; ensure good ventilation and keep it clean!

Happy DJing!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again guys

Update

I have now got my lights i have purchased 2x colour4 lights with master cable, a gobo flower light and a 60 watt strobe light awaiting my local shop getting the smoke machine in.

So im now officially ready to go i have put advertisments on both my wifes and my car windows and my sister in law works in a card shop in a busy shopping center and has said there is no problem puttung a poster on the window of her shop and have some of my buisness cards on the counter so just waiting for the phone to ring

Will keep you all updated tongue out icon

RosieR1

Hi, if you need help on aspects of djing go to any of the topics and type in your question!

all the best Andy

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

and as bad as it sounds be prepared to leave your brand new strobe and smoke machine at home.

You will find very few venues or even customers want them.

I own smoke and have never used it out of the house.

Strobes cause problems for lots of people.

Search the forum for strobe usage.