Dj's United

It's got the following five star review from a Mr A Harris!!! I kid you not!

Having run a free dj tutorial site for the best part of 10 years, it was a refreshing change to see recess.co.uk finally hit the book shelf.

A great easy to understand read which covers everything (and i do mean everything, even ensuring you have your car keys after playing a set!)

Whether you are a new starter or trying to get some help on beatmatching or any of the fundamentals this is a great place to start.

Covered here is playing out, what to wear, what to expect, promoting yourself, do's and donts, equipment, tunes, heaphones, vinyl, cds, mp3s right back to putting your first mix together.

The list is almost as endless as it is helpful.

A coherently written format makes Djing for Dummies an easy, enjoyable, and in places humourous dare i say it read.

You can't go wrong. All in the confines of one paperback. Super!

[insert quirky comment]

I have heard of the above mentioned book. :rolleyes: :ads:

Good idea for people like Steve Mitchell and Kingy and any others who still need to learn things......... tongue out icon

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

thats good if it creates jobs in the idustry for lord charles , nooky bear, emu and orville they would probably do a better job than some dummies we have today doing this job undercharging etc etc

Probably a bit too advanced for me.......

Do they do a beginner's version??

Got my DJing For Dummies book this morning seems very indepth at first glance the first 2 paragraphs go.

" Djing is first andformost about music. The clothes, the cars, the money and fame are all very nice, and I am sure that DJs who get all the attention arent complaining, but playing the right music and how a crowd reacts is what moulds a DJ. As the DJ, you are in control of everybodys night. As such, you need to be professional, skillful, and knowledgable about what the crowd wants to hear, and ready to take charge of how much of a good time they're having.

What kind of DJ you become lies in how you choose, use, and respect your DJ tools and skills. Become a student of DJing as well as someone who loves music and performing to a crowd, and your foundation will be rock solid...

Taken from DJing For Dummies by John Steventon (Club DJ and creator of www.recess.co.uk)

Good points made I think will look through it in next few days and if interested will give a mini review of it...

Nik

thats a good start.without going down the randy bartlett argument it will be interesting to see if you do learn anything from it or find it a useful tool in any other way(proping up that wonky table leg)and would recomend that we do read it.

Obviously beginners would gain more from it than the 'old hands', but no-one knows everything, so probably some tips in there worthy of note.

First impressions are that this book is for club style DJs, rather than the poor old mobile jock; True or not?

Obviously beginners would gain more from it than the 'old hands', but no-one knows everything, so probably some tips in there worthy of note.

First impressions are that this book is for club style DJs, rather than the poor old mobile jock; True or not?

Yep on skimming through it is but very usefull to have as a reference and to bruch up on or refresh skills and also new stuff to learn...

Nik

I'd be interested in what you think of the book as well. I had a look at the web site on which it is based and it mentioned in the speaker/amplifier section that it was preferred to plug the record decks into the home hi-fi so I wondered if it would be of much use to a mobile disco.

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the last few days reading the book, some interesting pointers, excellent sections on Marketing, how to produce a great demo CD/Tape, DJ techniques etc.

Very much aimed at Club DJs, but with stuff mobile DJs will find useful.

Some of the sections made me laugh out loud, as I said to myself, been there done that...

There was a small section about reading the crowd, would have liked to see more, and also maybe a section for wedding and functions djs, maybe that's in part 2.

Good reference book though, and it mentions this site too!

Also taking on Hero's point, it certainly also makes you focus on what kind of DJ you want to become

A good read:)

Spent the last few days reading the book, some interesting pointers, excellent sections on Marketing, how to produce a great demo CD/Tape, DJ techniques etc.

Very much aimed at Club DJs, but with stuff mobile DJs will find useful.

Some of the sections made me laugh out loud, as I said to myself, been there done that...

There was a small section about reading the crowd, would have liked to see more, and also maybe a section for wedding and functions djs, maybe that's in part 2.

Good reference book though, and it mentions this site too!

Also taking on Hero's point, it certainly also makes you focus on what kind of DJ you want to become

A good read:)