Dj's United

Just Found This....... The Legend Dies On Xmas Morning !

Legendary soul singer James Brown has died at the age of 73. He passed away at 1.45am this morning after being admitted to hospital. His agent Frank Copsidas said Brown was suffering from pneumonia and was taken to Atlanta's Emory Crawford Long Hospital yesterday.

However, he said the cause of Brown's death was unknown.

The self-proclaimed "Godfather of Soul" remained at the top of the music business for more than 10 years.

He is the singing star with the most hit records after

Elvis Presley and has had over 116 hits.

His songs included Living In America, Papa's Got A Brand New Bag and It's A Man's World.

His rapid-footed dancing inspired Mick Jagger and Michael Jackson, and he was a huge influence on rap and hip-hop artists over the past 10 years.

Vic Motune, former editor of The Voice, described Brown's death as "a huge loss".

He told Sky News: "He was a huge figure as a singer, songwriter and performer but was also noted for his work as an activist.

"He lobbied for poor black Americans and was a figure that embodied black empowerment."

Despite his success, Brown had an often unhappy personal life.

He spent more than two years in a South Carolina prison for aggravated assault and failing to stop for a police officer.

After his release on in 1991, Brown said he wanted to "try to straighten out" rock music.

A Real sad day for me, I almost shead a tear when I heard this,

he was not only the godfather of sould, but the godfather of modern music, he was an innocator who changed the way music was written and played.

arguably the most influential artist of modern times

James may you rest in peace

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

Sad news indeed.

But...I personally thought he was vastly overrated, as are Elvis & The Beatles. Not wishing to stir up a hornets nest, just my own view.

Must be an age thing....... ' Young Boy In a Mans World' and all that !

These were the foundations of music as we know it !!!

Sad news indeed.

But...I personally thought he was vastly overrated, as are Elvis & The Beatles. Not wishing to stir up a hornets nest, just my own view.

Just out of interest then who do you concider to be under rated if the artists you mention who are the foundation of music as we know it today are overrated...

Nik

Sad news indeed.

Fair comment, but I am 46!

Sad news indeed.

Just out of interest then who do you concider to be under rated if the artists you mention who are the foundation of music as we know it today are overrated...

Nik

"Popular" musical foundations pre date any of the mentioned. Go way back to the gospel & blues scene for your soul music inspiration. What about the songwriting greats? What about the jazz & big band greats? I think a lot of music can trace its roots back to these styles and beyond.

Sad news indeed.

Nik

"Popular" musical foundations pre date any of the mentioned. Go way back to the gospel & blues scene for your soul music inspiration. What about the songwriting greats? What about the jazz & big band greats? I think a lot of music can trace its roots back to these styles and beyond.

I do too Rock N Roll came from Slave's as did most forms of R & B and Soul Music... I guess if we were being pedantic it started with the first cave person making a sound.... But people like Elvis and the beatles brought what we call popular music to the masses.... and I'm a young 42 :joe: you old git :dan+ju:

Nik

Sad news indeed.

Nik

I do too Rock N Roll came from Slave's as did most forms of R & B and Soul Music... I guess if we were being pedantic it started with the first cave person making a sound.... But people like Elvis and the beatles brought what we call popular music to the masses.... and I'm a young 42 :joe: you old git :dan+ju:

Nik

Fair call Nik! Didn't want to upset anybody, as I said, just my personal opinion. :D

Sad news indeed.

Nik

Nik

Fair call Nik! Didn't want to upset anybody, as I said, just my personal opinion. :D

i would agree with nik,you can look back over the years and certain people and groups stick out for changeing the direction of popular music or by just having their finger on the pulse,like showaddywaddy,robson and jerome and of course shane ward :bouncy:

but it is the different opinions on here and the way we can discus them that makes it worth loggin on here.wouldnt it be a boring place if we just all agreed with each other

Who are the Beatles ?

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Sad news indeed.

Nik

Nik

Hi no you have not upset me... I may come across a bit heavey handed in my comments but its just debate and I agree Shane Ward is so much better than elvis look what the guy has done for popular music lol and Simon Scowl should be up there with the Beatles well two of them John & Geroge

Nik

Sad news indeed.

as I said James Brown changed the way music was written and played, making a bigger emphasis on the rhythm of the song, "On The One", almost every song that you play as a mobile DJ can trace it's roots back to the Godfather, so in a way without you knowing he has influenced your career. there would be no disco, rock music would not be here either, or dance music as it is today,

some very learned men state James Brown as one of the great innovators and influences,

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

Good debate, and some good comments. The good thing about this forum is the fact that we can have different opinions, whilst still remaining "grown up" in our postings. As for this particular topic, it has sparked an interest in an artist that I was fairly "neutral" about with regard to my own personal choice of listening...So i'm off to get a "Best Of" compilation. :D

Good debate, and some good comments. The good thing about this forum is the fact that we can have different opinions, whilst still remaining "grown up" in our postings. As for this particular topic, it has sparked an interest in an artist that I was fairly "neutral" about with regard to my own personal choice of listening...So i'm off to get a "Best Of" compilation. :D

don't just buy thye normal best of complilations, try also the 2 excellent James Brown's Funky People, and the Funky President compilations as well.

Fair comment, but I am 46!

46! :dan+ju: :hurt: ...wow, and people say I look young!!.. on the other hand I get the feeling your nose is getting slightly larger by the minute :rolleyes:

JB was an absolute genius and is hugely under-rated by the public but not by fellow musicians. There are so many musicians from all different musical styles that acknowledge JB as an influence on them.

My own favourite tracks by him were Soul Power, Papa's got a brand new bag, Ain't that a groove and Give it up or turn it loose. The JB's Funky people albums are top notch :Thumbup: :toot:

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

I never went a bundle on this guy's music, but still sorry to hear he's left us.

There is no doubt that James Brown's contribution to popular music was both vast and extremely significant.

It's interesting to note the way his style evolved, from the earlier doo-wop influenced stuff on King to the much heavier funky material. So many of today's artistes acknowledge his influence.

Much of his material was covered by 60's beat groups in their live performances - from the lesser known Bern Elliott & The Fenmen in Kent to The Who in London and The Moodyblues in Birmingham amongst many more including Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames and Zoot Money & His Big Roll Band.

My favourite tracks ( amongst loads ) are "Please Please Please", "I'll Go Crazy", "Mashed Potatoes", "Out of Sight", "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag", "Hot Pants" and "There Was A Time" ( big dance hit at the time ).