Dj's United

Hi Guys

Just wondering what kinda music you would be playing to a mixed crowd in a pub on new years eve?

I have never done a pub gig on new years eve and am a bit unsure as to what kinda thing people are gonna like.

Cheers

Nick

'Usual' party stuff.

Make sure you have Auld Lang Syne (of course!), Happy New Year by Abba.

Also, New Years Day by U2 maybe, and what the hell:

Prince - 1999

Pulp - Disco 2000

Robbie Williams - Millennium

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

Professional Mobile & Radio DJ

PLI (£10m), PAT and DBS (Disclosure) checked

Tel: 07835 485535

Email: enquiries@otronics.co.uk

www.otronics.co.uk

Make sure you have Auld Lang Syne (of course!), Happy New Year by Abba.

Also, New Years Day by U2 maybe, and what the hell:

Prince - 1999

Pulp - Disco 2000

Robbie Williams - Millennium

Apart from Auld Lang Syne, I will not be playing any of the others hopefully.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Exactly the same as for any other mixed age crowd.

Apart from Auld Lang Syne, I will not be playing any of the others hopefully.

Haven't heard them in a while and they have some novelty so what the hey!

Oliver Head, OTronics Media Services Ltd, Covering Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset and surrounding areas.

www.otronics.co.uk

tongue out icon I haven't heard Bay City Rollers - Saturday Night for a while, but it doesn't mean I'll play it next Saturday tongue out icon

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

PAAARRTYY!!!!! :karen: :love: :moon: :flirt:

Anything that makes people rock... Going to try just playing No1's across the decades with the usual mixed age party stuff.

Jim

Digital Fusion Entertainments

Bose L1 system user.

we are going to treat it as a normal party with the exception of the midnight bit,cant make a playlist until we see what people are there,we will put request slips out and try and get a feel for what everyone wants on the night.

I've generally found that after midnight, once the "must see in the new year, then go home" brigade have left, you can pretty much get away with anything, even Bay City Rollers, where 'Shang A Lang' is my favourite.

Interesting how alcohol dulls the ability to be musically picky. :D

I've generally found that after midnight, once the "must see in the new year, then go home" brigade have left, you can pretty much get away with anything, even Bay City Rollers, where 'Shang A Lang' is my favourite.

Interesting how alcohol dulls the ability to be musically picky. :D

weve played shang a lang a few times lately going into 70's set the mcdougal brothers done a good version of it on x factor,found it goes down well

To ADS: tongue out icon

www.otronics.co.uk

Mate, thats really not helpful.....

Im not highly experienced like many of you in the forum. So I was looking for specific tracks which are good party tunes for a mixed age crowd.....I have a few ideas buzzing round my head, but some more would be good.

I was thinking.......of a timetable summut like this.....

20.00 - 21.00 = The very latest chart music, with maybe some slightly older tunes thrown in somwhere

21:00 - 22.30 = Its Karaoke, so I just play Darude - Sandstorm between every singer change (Do you think this might get a bit boring after a while, nobody has complained yet?)

22.30 - 23.30 = Roling back the years into 90's 80's 70's 60's (Rock and Roll?) and some Motown.

23.30 - 00.00 = More of the same? With Europes - Final Countdown played to time out on midnight.

00.00 - 01:00 = Big Ben Chimes, Auld Lang Syne, Abba - Happy New Year. Party Dances? Then I wanna play the Generic "Mixed age party stuff" so sugestions please.

Thanks

Nick

Im not highly experienced like many of you in the forum. So I was looking for specific tracks which are good party tunes for a mixed age crowd.....I have a few ideas buzzing round my head, but some more would be good.

20.00 - 21.00 = The very latest chart music, with maybe some slightly older tunes thrown in somwhere

21:00 - 22.30 = Its Karaoke, so I just play Darude - Sandstorm between every singer change (Do you think this might get a bit boring after a while, nobody has complained yet?)

22.30 - 23.30 = Roling back the years into 90's 80's 70's 60's (Rock and Roll?) and some Motown.

23.30 - 00.00 = More of the same? With Europes - Final Countdown played to time out on midnight.

00.00 - 01:00 = Big Ben Chimes, Auld Lang Syne, Abba - Happy New Year. Party Dances? Then I wanna play the Generic "Mixed age party stuff" so sugestions please.

Thanks

Nick

Nick as I think others have said dont get too bogged down with a playlist.... Yes have an idea of the songs you have and the area they fit into then the best way is to really play it by ear.... I dont think you have had many responces to this thread as it is a thing that can only be learned by trial and error... I could give you a list for example that I played last week that went down a storm... You or I could replicate this list at our next gig and it bombs... I think this is the art of a party jock to feel the mood and then provide what is needed...

But to be honest if they dont have a good time on NYE then I should hang up your headphones... You have to do something really bad to have a bad NYE (IMHO)...

Some nights over christmas I started with Scissor Sisters I dont feel like dancing dance floor full others dance floor empty... From that I would then think about the next track.... and so on....

All the best to you and I am sure it will be FAB...

Nik

Thanks

Nick

Nick as I think others have said dont get too bogged down with a playlist.... Yes have an idea of the songs you have and the area they fit into then the best way is to really play it by ear.... I dont think you have had many responces to this thread as it is a thing that can only be learned by trial and error... I could give you a list for example that I played last week that went down a storm... You or I could replicate this list at our next gig and it bombs... I think this is the art of a party jock to feel the mood and then provide what is needed...

But to be honest if they dont have a good time on NYE then I should hang up your headphones... You have to do something really bad to have a bad NYE (IMHO)...

Some nights over christmas I started with Scissor Sisters I dont feel like dancing dance floor full others dance floor empty... From that I would then think about the next track.... and so on....

All the best to you and I am sure it will be FAB...

Nik

Yea I kinda know what your saying.....I did a Works Christmass party the other day......nobody danced before the buffet.....but once the buffet was over I felt like I could play anything and they would still have danced too it......and the feedback from the people that work their is all very very positive....

I dont really wanna do a playlist as such, but then I dont wanna be standing thier thinking what do I do now LOL So Im trying to plan something to work round, as I normally start with a playlist, then it gets swapped edited and changed during the night dpending on the vibe.

So does my basic plan above look ok?

Nick

21:00 - 22.30 = Its Karaoke, so I just play Darude - Sandstorm between every singer change

Why not have a little music variety in between the karaoke tracks than just one for all?! If karaoke is supposed to express an interactive 'feel good factor' then why not bounce it all along with some further 'bouncy' tracks?

There is nothing wrong in the music genre you have chosen......so why not just vary it here and there!

Just because no one says anything doesn't mean they wouldn't entertain the opportunity of listening to other tracks you choose to play in between singers!

So, if you happen to like dance music from the likes of Darude why not try other dance anthems (the ones where the 'punters' are likely to recognise anthem tracks like Insomnia, On A Ragga Tip, Born Slippy, etc).

Apply the same principal to other music genres too but like anything in life, too much of one thing can eventually get boring.

That's why there is nothing wrong in experimenting a little and broadening the experience by varying the ol' repertoire!

Subtly look around at the audience body language (including the ones sitting down) to gauge feedback!

Most of all, be confident and have a fantastic night!

smile icon

As well as Sandstorm if you want to stick to instrumentals, you might like to consider Children by Robert Miles, Men In Black (Instrumental) by Will Smith, Sunchyme by Dario G, Crockett's Theme from Miami Vice by Jam Hammer or Bellissima by DJ Quicksilver.

Your playlist idea looks okay but it is difficult to plan beforehand without knowing the mood of the crowd and what they like. What gets played after midnight depends on what they dance to before. So sorry, can't be much help there.

Nick,

I'm in the same boat mate! Never done a new year gig before, and rather than start small, this years is a 10 quid a ticket jobby at the local high school!

I tried writing a playlist out, but found that trying to be too over specific was impossible. There was no way I could list the night track by track. If it was a single genre event at a club then fine, but it really is just any other party with a few more people!

I presume you don't write setlists etc for other gigs, why this one?

All i've ended up doing was listing a few types of music I want to play (mowtown, chart etc) so I can ensure I fit it all in. As for the night itself, i'm under the impression that family groups will arrive first, and leave first after midnight, and then groups and younger adults will arrive later in the vening, and stay longer. To that end, i'm looking to play maybe a few tracks for the kids whilst the night starts, then some mowtown, 70s etc followed by some charty stuff as the groups arrive. Then even (after my last attempt!) some kareoke :s followed by party cheese.....80s....final countdown and then BAM its chimes time! Then theres an hour to play whatever i've forgotten before hand, when people are off home anyway! Alot of the night will be taken up with requests too.

End of the day, like I said, it's a party like any other party....don't get too bogged down with timing tracks apart from around the big 00:00. Play what feels best on the night...you'll get more sense of acheivement from it that way too!

Have a good 'un mate,

Dan

That Proclaimers one about 5000 miles. I'm a good DJ me!

Anne

oi......I may be in a minority......but I like that one tongue out icon

The answer is yes.......I do allways write a playlist for every event......then I change it and swap it as I go on. I think I may just use pretty much the same one I used on Christmas eve, the whole event was a bit of a washout, but I dont think that was anything to do with me its just the gig wasnt ticket so maybe lots of people decided to stay home.

New years eve is defferent though, its all ticket pub gig, and the manager has told me she is expecting around 150 people, so I just want to make really sure I impress as their is a definate possibility of more work from the pub next year.

As for the Karaoke interim music........I only use that for a maximum of 30 seconds.......singer finishes, I say "lets hear it for _______, a stunning performance their".......*applause*........Sandstorm starts then after a few seconds Im calling for the next singer, the music plays on until the next singer gets to the stage.....I then introduce them and announce what their singing.....the sandstorm fades out....and their on.....

I have tried desperately to find the "X-Factor" music, but cant get it from anywhere LOL Or would that be too cheesy?

Their is one main reason for me doing this, I have just started using sax and dottys show hoster (changed from swift elite) and it dosn't have the facility to play interim music, so I have "sandstorm" loaded into an instant button to keep it simple.

I would like to play interim music tracks but it cant be done in sax and dotty's and I do like everything else about the program, I did try PCDJ KJ but I couldnt sort out the issues I had with it so I dumped it.

Nick