Dj's United

Interview With Dj Mixindixin

New Year, New Member, New Interview .............. please add your thoughts comments after reading.

1. What is your DJU Forum Alias?

DJ_Mixindixin

2. What is your Real Name, Age, Location & Marital Status?

Martin Dixon, 16, Billingham, North East (England), Single

3. What is the Name of your Disco?

My name :D

4. How long have you been a DJ?

3 years

5. What inspired you to become a DJ

:S Don't have a clue, I guess I just like the idea of loud sound and bright lights

6. Are you a member of a DJ Association / Union?

Not that I know of.

7. What is your favourite type of function now? (eg: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, etc)

Being 16 I have not done a big variety of gigs. My best ever one has been an engagement party.

8. What’s the worst/most embarrassing thing you've done in front of an audience? Probably, the time when the lights went off and everyone was in darkness for like 5 minutes because i was on the loo :)

9. If you could go back to the beginning of your DJ career is there anything that you'd do differently? (eg: The gear that you bought, the way you promoted/advertised yourself)

If I could go back, I wouldn't of bought a ProSound amp (they're crap) But hey you got to start somewhere.

10. What do you feel you offer the public that convinces them to book you rather than "the next guy/girl"?

I'm young, know the modern music and think of quality before quantity

11. Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadn't? and why?

Yep, A gobo projector. Waste of time, doesn't move not very bright and looks ugly.

12. What's your next DJ purchase likely to be?

Dyanmo 4 Party scan package.

13. If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

Very sticky velcro to stop the long time needed to screw lights on :D

14. What was the worst equipment failure suffered during a gig?

Left side of amp wouldn't work. Turned out it had to be sent away, when it got back it was damaged so I got a new one free of charge.

15. What do you think is the best thing about DJ'ing?

The power and authority you have when you have big speakers.

16. What do you think is the worst thing about DJ'ing?

Annoying people who ask for songs every 5 minutes.

17. What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything)?

If I had no transport.

18. How do you think DJ'ing will change, in the next 5 years?

Products are getting widely more available, soon Djing will be a job for anyone.

19. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

Marry me (seriously)

20. Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

Do not ignore, It just turns nasty.

21. And worst advice you were ever given?

Martin lights are cheap.

22. How do you keep up to date with music? (eg Promo monthly CDs, Downloads, Purchase from retailer)

The odd emergency single downloaded from net (legally) and mainly the Now CD's and Mastermix (if its worth getting).

23. Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill the dance floor for you!

Cha Cha slide, Grease, Walking on sunshine.

24. One piece of advice you'd give to someone just starting out.

Dont buy gear because its cheap, you'll only end up throwing it out.

25. What medium format do you mainly use eg vinyl, CD, hard-drive?

Used to be all CD's but now its the good old mp3/oggs and a small cd complitation.

26. Have you embraced/adapted any ideas that you've read about on DJU?

No, Dont know what that means :D

27. What is your best gig ever and your worst?

My best gig is like stated above, an engagement party where I had the dance floor full all night with good sound, nice light setup and a good audience.

My worst... Primary school disco, mainly because of the huff they get in when you cant play explicit songs.

28. What is your main (most successful) form of advertising your disco?

Word of mouth.

29. Have you ever had someone try to claim off you? (eg: Public Liability Insurance or other such legal action)

No never. However a story. I had a fogger up high on my turssing must of being 7 ft high off the ground. A woman comes and says your smoke machine is hot and has burnt my sons eye. It couldn't of being possible because abfter 500mm its cold. Turned out somone had got tea on his eye :S dont ask me how.

30. Add any additional comments which you would like to include here...

I know my lighting setup isn't god. Im proud of my sound. Upgrading my lighting system as stated above.

Thanks for reading.

Answer to No 13 is get some G Clamps

Don't get number 20 either

Good interview though, good luck in your journey

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Good Read :thanks:

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

Answer to No 13 is get some G Clamps

Good interview though, good luck in your journey

Beat me to it ya bugg@

:D

Ben

Excellent. Those foggers are devious little things but it depends on the grade of the fluid you use viz. you could of replied, with lower grade one buys, smoke gets in ones eyes (with credit to Esso Blue if you remember it).

No. 20 was clarified after a typo but hopefully Martin will return to explain his answer ......

As for No 19 - been there

and No 26 - Is there anything you have read on this forum that you have been able to use / adapt to help you with your show

Hey,

no 20. I meant when someone is talking to you/requesting something (even is they are extremely annoying) Dont ignore them it just turns bad in the long run.

and Ive only been here like 3 days LOL. ive been reading tho :)

--

WebPuma.com < The pefect website solution :)

New Year, New Member, New Interview .............. please add your thoughts comments after reading.

1. What is your DJU Forum Alias?

DJ_Mixindixin

2. What is your Real Name, Age, Location & Marital Status?

Martin Dixon, 16, Billingham, North East (England), Single

3. What is the Name of your Disco?

My name :D

4. How long have you been a DJ?

3 years

5. What inspired you to become a DJ

:S Don't have a clue, I guess I just like the idea of loud sound and bright lights

6. Are you a member of a DJ Association / Union?

Not that I know of.

7. What is your favourite type of function now? (eg: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, etc)

Being 16 I have not done a big variety of gigs. My best ever one has been an engagement party.

8. What’s the worst/most embarrassing thing you've done in front of an audience? Probably, the time when the lights went off and everyone was in darkness for like 5 minutes because i was on the loo :)

9. If you could go back to the beginning of your DJ career is there anything that you'd do differently? (eg: The gear that you bought, the way you promoted/advertised yourself)

If I could go back, I wouldn't of bought a ProSound amp (they're crap) But hey you got to start somewhere.

10. What do you feel you offer the public that convinces them to book you rather than "the next guy/girl"?

I'm young, know the modern music and think of quality before quantity

11. Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadn't? and why?

Yep, A gobo projector. Waste of time, doesn't move not very bright and looks ugly.

12. What's your next DJ purchase likely to be?

Dyanmo 4 Party scan package.

13. If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

Very sticky velcro to stop the long time needed to screw lights on :D

14. What was the worst equipment failure suffered during a gig?

Left side of amp wouldn't work. Turned out it had to be sent away, when it got back it was damaged so I got a new one free of charge.

15. What do you think is the best thing about DJ'ing?

The power and authority you have when you have big speakers.

16. What do you think is the worst thing about DJ'ing?

Annoying people who ask for songs every 5 minutes.

17. What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything)?

If I had no transport.

18. How do you think DJ'ing will change, in the next 5 years?

Products are getting widely more available, soon Djing will be a job for anyone.

19. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

Marry me (seriously)

20. Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

Do not ignore, It just turns nasty.

21. And worst advice you were ever given?

Martin lights are cheap.

22. How do you keep up to date with music? (eg Promo monthly CDs, Downloads, Purchase from retailer)

The odd emergency single downloaded from net (legally) and mainly the Now CD's and Mastermix (if its worth getting).

23. Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill the dance floor for you!

Cha Cha slide, Grease, Walking on sunshine.

24. One piece of advice you'd give to someone just starting out.

Dont buy gear because its cheap, you'll only end up throwing it out.

25. What medium format do you mainly use eg vinyl, CD, hard-drive?

Used to be all CD's but now its the good old mp3/oggs and a small cd complitation.

26. Have you embraced/adapted any ideas that you've read about on DJU?

No, Dont know what that means :D

27. What is your best gig ever and your worst?

My best gig is like stated above, an engagement party where I had the dance floor full all night with good sound, nice light setup and a good audience.

My worst... Primary school disco, mainly because of the huff they get in when you cant play explicit songs.

28. What is your main (most successful) form of advertising your disco?

Word of mouth.

29. Have you ever had someone try to claim off you? (eg: Public Liability Insurance or other such legal action)

No never. However a story. I had a fogger up high on my turssing must of being 7 ft high off the ground. A woman comes and says your smoke machine is hot and has burnt my sons eye. It couldn't of being possible because abfter 500mm its cold. Turned out somone had got tea on his eye :S dont ask me how.

30. Add any additional comments which you would like to include here...

I know my lighting setup isn't god. Im proud of my sound. Upgrading my lighting system as stated above.

Thanks for reading.

You sound like you have your head screwd on. Good for you!