Dj's United

Scanner Owners

Hi all,

I have been reviewing scanners to upgrade from my Soundlab colorscans and this is what I have come up with. My problem is size, weight & dimensions where i'm also trying to look for maximum value.

It seems that the DJ market currently offers these that would be a direct replacement of the colorscans.

Soundlab Colorscans

(WxDxH)155x160x450

DMX, 13 Gobos, 10 Colors, 7.5kg, 4 channel

Acme Winners

(WxDxH)200x155x500

DMX, 15 Gobos, 11 Colors, 11kgs, 5 Channel

Chavet Intimadators 2.0

(WxDxH)200x140x460

DMX, 14 Gobos, 11 Colors, 8.85 kgs, 5 Channel

Chavet Intimadators 1.2

(WxDxH)160x134x430

DMX, 14 Gobos, 11 Colors, 6.35 kgs, 5 Channel

Geni Mojo Scan 2

(WxDxH)220x160x475

DMX, 14 Gobos, 13 Colors, 7.7 kgs, 4 Channel

Anything up from this is then looking at the I-Rock Scanners, but I cannot find a small type i-rock scanner product?

So the question is what you guys use, if you are an owner or have experience of the Chavet Intimadators 1.2 & 2.0, please share your thoughts. It seems that the 1.2 and 2 do exactly the same thing but in a smaller form factor, would you agree. Ultimately, if you have recommendations then please do let me know what you think for scanners that fit the dimensions above.

not seen any of the above in action but i use the acme dynatwins 478x280x188mm 7.5kg

dmx512 8 channel scanner, 2 gobo wheels each featuring 10 gobos/colors plus white. they also come with a c8 controller.

they only use 100w bulbs but i find them brighter than my gladiator 1ce

the other option is to get a set of the single acme dynamos. not got the spcification for theese but brianmole has theese so he may reply later.

jim

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/MrDJJim/Mr%20DJs/1556.jpg

IF IT MOVES, FUNK IT.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

I have had 4 of the cheauvet intimidators for about 2 years now. They are great very bright ( 250W ) sometimes too bright for a small venue. have never let me down...apart from the odd bulb change. So I would probably buy again.

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

Hi,

I just want to put my two pence worth in here.

What is the point of mobile dj's using scanners? I think for the money you pay for them they don't really ad anything to a show. They only give out a point of light (4 if you have a set of 4) and they dont really light a dance floor or a room in any great way on there own. I understand if your in a nightclub or your working for a bunch of 18 year olds. Another point is they only look good if you can use them with smoke, and in most cases these days you cant use smoke in venues.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get scanners if that is what you want but for the money you can get barrell effects that cover a dance floor much better and in my view look much nicer. As most of our work to be honest as mobile discos are weddings and parties for the older generation and they dont much care for scans blindding them.

Just my thoughts on scans :rant:

Gav

Hi,

What is the point of mobile dj's using scanners? I think for the money you pay for them they don't really ad anything to a show. They only give out a point of light (4 if you have a set of 4) and they dont really light a dance floor or a room in any great way on there own. I understand if your in a nightclub or your working for a bunch of 18 year olds. Another point is they only look good if you can use them with smoke, and in most cases these days you cant use smoke in venues.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get scanners if that is what you want but for the money you can get barrell effects that cover a dance floor much better and in my view look much nicer. As most of our work to be honest as mobile discos are weddings and parties for the older generation and they dont much care for scans blindding them.

Gav

true i suppose but then look at other topics in regards to speakers. Why spend money on bose when you could be something cheaper to do the same job. Its all about personal preference and if said dj wants 4 scanners and some bose poles or a £9.99 argos disco light its up to them. Ive just purchased some speakers this week "funky monkey's" and for what i paid for them they sound excellent for what we'd need them for. Ive opted out of using subs now as most venues dont require anything like.

no offence to bose users

Again just my views.

Like any equipment it how you use it.

I have seen some amazing results with simple lighting.

Dynamo Party scan x 4 and ACME knight spots user AT WEDDINGS. :rolleyes:

Forget the traditional use think outside of the box. Its what DMX is for. Walls floors and ceilings can be canvases to paint with light.

Sorry I can't comment on the others.

PS

Pareshj, projector is still going strong in my father in-laws summer house :Thumbup: The trials with it went well and I purchased more on the strength of that,

Jim

Digital Fusion Entertainments

Bose L1 system user.

Yep, I agree with some of the comments, it's not how much you bring to the venue it's how you use it which is what counts. I want to give users a lightshow thats appropriate for the music. I think scanners have a place and DMX ones especially so I can control the X&Y of the mirrors to give me that control on the floor or the first dance.

My rig current consists of these attributes which a stage designer once told me the essentials of lighting in the venue.

Colorwash to add paint to walls and floor

Moonflowers to give a visual show when the users look at the DJ area

Scanners to show movement on the floor.

I'm thinking of looking at

2 Chavet Intimadator 2.0 (Scans), these will allow me to control the light movement and direct it at things

2 Chavet Insignia 2.0 (Barrels), these to give the dance floor steady patterns and color thus inviting people to come to the floor.

Thats the theory anyway.

Many disco shops around the Reading Area all swear by the 100w Dynamo Scans

Jimbo - Good news on the Projector glad to hear its going strong. Hope your well! :Thumbup:

I have been reviewing scanners to upgrade from my Soundlab colorscans and this is what I have come up with. Soundlab Colorscans

(WxDxH)155x160x450

DMX, 13 Gobos, 10 Colors, 7.5kg, 4 channel

Forgive me if I have missed something here, but you are 'upgrading' your colourscans for near enough the same product you have even specified colourscans.

Why are you upgrading them, are the old ones broken? Since you already have the colourscans and they are not that much heaver then the Chavet Intimadators 1.2 and a bit smaller I don’t get what you want.

Sorry but I am being dumb?

On a side note ryger tinyscans are 100w and as the name states tiny! DMX with colour and gobo wheel.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ryger-scans-tinyscan...1QQcmdZViewItem

Ner ner ner ner... ner ner, ner can't touch this.

My biggest influence was Vera Lynn and I enjoy winding down with my cat - tabetha whilst listening to bing crosby playing on the gramophone.

... You wish ....

<br>Buy and sell advertising www.adsbay.co.uk </center>

No, good question Tom and Yeah, I was questioning my sanity too. Why change the 250w Scanner for another 250w scanner? The only answer I can come up with is "Optics"

I'm finding that the soundlab colorscans are not bright enough for me. I have some IMove 5s moving heads and I really like the optics on them and they make the color scanners look dim. I changed the bulbs on them but they seem to be the same brightness for me. It's fine in my garage but I notice this when I go to venues and in a open space that the scanners don't seem as strong as thought they would.

I'm looking at something that initially had rotating gobos but can't find the semi £500 to £900 market for for 4x DJ lights.

The straw broke the camel back was that one of my scanners has an issue with the bulb holder. The scanner takes a 250w elc bulb with the 2 prongs. The prongs go into a ceramic connector thing (I'm sorry I don;t know what it is called) which has just broken and crumbled, I need to get this replaced. As I've had the scanners for near enought 2/3 years now I figured a change hence the feeling of upgrading them to the next level of DJ lighting. I was tempted to look at the Martin roboscans as they have rotating gobos and are Discharge by DJGavt but they are heavy and I need a small DMX controller that would work for them hence I didn't take them of him.

If anyone has any further ideas of affordable lighting in that bracket, please do let me know. I'm going for a demo between the 1.2 and 2.0 this Saturday.

Pareshj - if you are seriously going to spend £900 on some scans, get something like those Eurolite's i PM'ed you about. Ok, they'll have to come from Germany but its not difficult to arrange, and they are 250w DISCHARGE effects, with dimming.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EUROLITE-TS-8-DMX-Sc...1QQcmdZViewItem

There are a number of shops that do them, some even take paypal so its easier than the wire transfer. About £210 each with lamp.

Edit: sorry linked to the ELC version, here's the correct one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EUROLITE-TS-255-DMX-...1QQcmdZViewItem

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

WOW!!! £210 for a 250w MSD scanner when did things go so cheap? £840 for a semi pro lighting rig!

I have looked on thomman as well yo can get 7 channel 250w elc for 150 :D

Ner ner ner ner... ner ner, ner can't touch this.

My biggest influence was Vera Lynn and I enjoy winding down with my cat - tabetha whilst listening to bing crosby playing on the gramophone.

... You wish ....

<br>Buy and sell advertising www.adsbay.co.uk </center>

Hi,

Gav

i find scanners adds movement to the room. Moonflowers or such like effects just turn and change gobo on the floor/wall/ceiling. For most big venues, i just use 2 gobo flowers on the dancefloor, then use 2 geni wild blaze's and a dynatwin. I find that provides me with movement and colour without over crowding the place with light.

Norty, Thanks for that link, thats kinda what i'm talking about, something that is semi-pro, still light (

Anyone else tried storing a unit like this upright during storage - looks like some modifications might be required. Those who already own the Irock stuff - do you guys rig them up prewired or do you hook them up on the night?

Heres' a demo on them for those interested

Thats quite a good demo, it really shows how snappy the gobo and colour wheels are. It's amazing how thats come on with lighter internal components compared to only a few years ago. My Martin 518's are significantly slower than my Robe lights.

If you're worried about storage, i'd seriously consider getting some cases too. I think Thomann may well do some for them already.

So i'm still looking for the right dj lighting for me :( Scanners and barrels are on the shopping list and I really thought the eurolite scanner stuff would be ideal but the width of the base is just going to be a problem so it's back to looking for scanners that fit the dimensions of the original colorscans.

The next thing that I can see that will have rotating Gobos is the Geni Mojo Scan 3,

Postives = Discharge/Rotating Gobos/Unit size & Weight

Negatives = only 6 colors

If anyone has any advice on these lights, please do post your thoughts here. I have not seen a discharge light in action so I'm hoping it will be better than the ELC versions?

http://www.geni.com.hk/product.asp?classid=1#

I think thats great value, I already 2 of these moving heads but I need to use scanners so I can place shapes and things on the dancefloor, their is something about rotating gobos that look cool.

At the moment, I'm looking for a Geni Supplier that is local to me so I can get a demo/check them out.

Have you thought about some second hand Martin 518's?

Rotating gobos and a 3 facet prism, lots of colours with a colour correction filter for even more variations. 250w discharge lamp and built like brick outhouses.

Keep an eye on ebay, they come up regularly