Dj's United

Dju Members Website Reviews

I must say that we've had some really superb analysis of some websites on here over the past few years, and a big thanks goes out to all the guys n gals who have really given many members some fantastic advice which I would say has almost certainly enabled quite a few people to bring in more enquiries which has hopefully ultimately led to an increase in their earnings :Thumbup:

So a big pat on the back to all those altruistic members that have taken the time to look over other people's websites and offer constructive criticism :nbow:

OK next up is The Eclipse Roadshow

www.eclipse-roadshow.tk

and interestingly they also have the following link: www.eclipse-roadshow.co.uk

They use the .co.uk for all advertising and the .tk is used for backup if their server goes down.

Please post your thoughts on this site. Can you spot any areas that you think could be improved? Any spelling/grammatical errors? broken links etc?

Once again a massive thanks to all those that offer help here; this is definitely one of the many benefits that being a member of a DJ forum can offer :Thumbup:

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

I'm sure I could pick some faults if I had a close look, which I will later. smile icon

One thing did leap out at me though - the image of the illuminated dance floor and your projectors weighs in at nearly half a Megabyte! It has been uploaded as a bitmap image, and should have been encoded in jpg format besides having its actual pixel count reduced to match the HTML code display size.

Re-edit that to something more in keeping with its displayed size - I would expect well under 10Kb for that size. (This is a pet hate of mine, and so often seen on websites.)

Also scrap the 'Home' link on your home page if you can - not sure how easy this would be to do using frames, though.

all those altruistic members
I had to look that word up to see if I qualified (no not member :ouch: ).

I'm gonna disagree with SM (apart from the DJU link). Please don't take these comments as a personal attack they are aimed at your web site and my apologies in advance if they seem a little blunt smile icon

1. Your HTML does not include any META tags for the search engines. For those that think they are not used anymore I can tell you from recent experience that they still are.

2. The flashing GIFs at the top on each side of your header make the site look dated.

3. People have already found your site so taking up a large proportion of the home page telling them how to find you on the web is a bit of a waste.

4. 'what we do is what we do best ' ??

5. You have a page titled 'Equipment List' only it doesn't. Personally I have never been a fan of long lists of equipment which mean nothing to the client. What you have done is better - you just need a different title.

6. '2 14" NTSC televisions' How many people will know what NTSC stands for (or care).

7. 'like to have there own ' there should be their

8. Photos area under construction - this comes within the top 10 of things people hate about web sites. It's better to remove the link until there is something on the page to make it worth a visit.

9. Similarly with the guestbook - to tell people you have a problem will not inspire confidence.

All pretty minor stuff that can easily be changed - here's your biggest problem I think -

10. Enquiry form: I read your part at the bottom warning me that I may get a message re email but I think there are 2 problems associated with the method you are using:

• Potential clients that don't take the time to read this are going to get a bit of a shock when they have a pop-up window with a warning.
  • The 2nd pop-up window warns me, amongst other things, that this may be a virus attack on my PC!!
I therefore had 2 opportunites to cancel my enquiry (I didn't for test purposes so you should've received 2 from me) but if I was on a site and received those kind of messages I would be reluctant to continue.

The primary object of a web site should be to get a potential client interested enough to contact you. You've done all that only for them to click away from your site at the last hurdle because of a pop-up warning.

Fully agree with 5Star about the Home Page telling you what the domain name is...

I'm already here - Interest me with something.

I think the statistic is that the average person makes their mind up on a site in 5 seconds and if I saw that, I may not be interested to go further.

The flashing gifs at the top, when I don't have my page full screen, don't display properly.

This seemed a bit odd:

Our philosophy is simple, we understand your needs and there’s never ever any compromise on quality.

How do you understand my needs? I think you need to expand on how you would find out my needs - That would make me think better that you take me personally and not as a number, if you know what I mean.

Again, as 5Star pointed out, your equipment list means nothing to Joe Public, specially when it's just a list of equipment makes. Most people don't know their Denon's from their D-Class....

The rest of it seems fine - Again, the 2 x 14" NTSC TVs isn't 100% clear but whatever.

As always, this is only my opinion so...

• 1 month later...

Anymore comments?

Still at 4 with others alot more???

You should take that as no news is good news smile icon

Having said that I see that many of my/Tony's observations/recommendations have not been taken on board anyway and they were made over 2 months ago. OK it's your choice .........

Here's another one though - I couldn't find a link to DJU on your links page.

OK, looking OK.

Issues I've spotted:

Punctuation error:

"Welcome To Eclipse Roadshows Website"

There should be an apostrophe in Roadshow's.

Hmmmm... :

"Please use the navigation buttons on the left to navigate around our site."

Any need for two references to navigation in the same sentence?

Some, but not all, of your headings are underlined. In the world of the Internet, an underline suggests a link so maybe consider doing without underlined headings.

I don't like your equipment page; It is simply an area filled with company logos and does nothing for your site. It represents additional clutter whilst adding nothing - lose it is my advice.

On your karaoke page you mention twice that you have over 4000 tracks. I'm sure once would be enough. Also, I think you are being over-specific with the components. Punters might only need to know the number of microphones available, not the make as well.

OK, looking OK.

Issues I've spotted:

Punctuation error:

"Welcome To Eclipse Roadshows Website"

There should be an apostrophe in Roadshow's.

NO...there shouldn't. At least not where you have placed it in the above!!!!. If you use one at all, it should really be placed AFTER the s....

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

Having said that I see that many of my/Tony's observations/recommendations have not been taken on board anyway and they were made over 2 months ago. OK it's your choice .........

And for over 1 month DJU was offline

Don't like the use of the different fonts on different pages.

And one thing I would say, is it doesnt really sell you. It needs more merryising (though not to his extreme) and you dont have a great deal for the search engines to pick up on. Put your text in!

Overall though, it's ok - nothing special - but not uber bad, take on board what the others have said above and it'll be better.

NiM

Quote DigitalDistortion regarding apostrophe:

"NO...there shouldn't. At least not where you have placed it in the above"

Yes it should. smile icon

The word 'roadshows' is not a plural in the current context, it is in the possessive, therefore it requires an apostrophe before the 's'.

I can understand the confusion as it's not the easiest rule of grammar. (I think Andy's right though)

The problem is so widespread that there's an Apostrope Protection Society :joe: apostrophe mishaps/mishap's/mishaps'!

Quote DigitalDistortion regarding apostrophe:

"NO...there shouldn't. At least not where you have placed it in the above"

Yes it should. smile icon

The word 'roadshows' is not a plural in the current context, it is in the possessive, therefore it requires an apostrophe before the 's'.

Exactly........check it out. Not only is it possessive.....it's a name!

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

I think the site looks OK but a little dated. The use of frames dates back to the late 90's - most search engines have trouble with frame content, or so I am told - so they should be avoided. If you were to lose the frames in favour of tables, you could also lose a lot of the blank spaces and reduce font sizes, then the design would look a lot more sleek, tidy and professional.

I ca'nt commen't on apostofies or speling.

Customer comments is a bit ambiguous. If you could scan in the original letter from the client and show that then I think they would be a lot more credible.

I don't like the logo's colours, I don't like the flashing lights and I don't like the home page image. And finally...where are you? Once again a DJ site with no picture of the DJ. This is my personal hate.

On the good side, love the general colour scheme and love the font. I think the site is well laid out and easily navigated - I just think it could be better if it didn't take up as much room.

Overall I think you have the foundations for a really good site that could be even better, with a little tweaking.

[insert quirky comment]

• 2 weeks later...

I think the site looks OK but a little dated. The use of frames dates back to the late 90's - most search engines have trouble with frame content, or so I am told - so they should be avoided. If you were to lose the frames in favour of tables, you could also lose a lot of the blank spaces and reduce font sizes, then the design would look a lot more sleek, tidy and professional.

I ca'nt commen't on apostofies or speling.

Customer comments is a bit ambiguous. If you could scan in the original letter from the client and show that then I think they would be a lot more credible.

I don't like the logo's colours, I don't like the flashing lights and I don't like the home page image. And finally...where are you? Once again a DJ site with no picture of the DJ. This is my personal hate.

On the good side, love the general colour scheme and love the font. I think the site is well laid out and easily navigated - I just think it could be better if it didn't take up as much room.

Overall I think you have the foundations for a really good site that could be even better, with a little tweaking.

I looked into using the tables feature in Frontpage, but not being very good at webdesign i stumbled,

I have made some changes in regards to the comments passed on and I DO appreciate all your advice, Many have commented on the colour of the banner but until i finish the new one that will have to stay, Also the lights that flash are due to be changed but again it was more work that i thought,

Ive got rid of the double "navigate" from the indexpage

ive removed NTSC with the tv's

Ive removed the KWM for radio mics and listed radio and lead mic's

The contact page im not editing or changing yet, the form is ok for what we need as most people tend to ring us anyway. with regards to a message about viruses, no one else has mentioned anything.

The photo gallery doesnt shw any photos there but there is a photo gallery on our ssl side and thats only given to the appropriate party etc.

If anyone can help with losing frames and using tables with our site i would gladly receive the advise and help..

Once again cheers for the comments etc..

If anyone can help with losing frames and using tables with our site i would gladly receive the advise and help..

Hi Matt. Well done for taking the comments on board and making the changes you thought necessary. Your site can only benefit from these changes.

As for converting your frames pages to tables...it's been that long ago since I did anything like that that I have totally forgotten the best approach. Others more clued up may be able to help out. In the meantime...this is how I would approach it:

You have already created your content for each page (the main frame). What I think you have to do now is put this in a table, then add another table at the top of the page and the to the left of the page. In other words, instead of three frames, you are now working with three tables.

Test the page by previewing it.

You could be able to copy the content from the top and side frame into their relevant table sections...but I'm not sure whether this will work. In theory, it should do.

Test the page again.

Once completed, you have to do the same to every page on your site.

Test all pages.

When you are happy, remove the two frames pages and upload your site.

Sounds dead easy, eh? :scared:

[insert quirky comment]