Dj's United

Is Your Website Compliant?

Business Link provide a useful guide at http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/actio...5686&r.s=tl

You should have website use terms and conditions and a privacy statement on your website. To protect yourself, a disclaimer should also be added.

Sample wordings are provided by business link at:

Website useage terms and conditions - sample template

Sample privacy policy

Website disclaimer - sample template

Not being compliant is the equivalent of not having your gear PAT Tested!

That could double the size of some peoples web sites :huh:

I do have a privacy statement on mine and T&Cs for booking but didn't realise that I should also have T&Cs for looking as well. Thanks for the links.

Interesting, but I have a feeling this only applies for where the entire transaction is conducted online.

In my case, I intend to use my website as an introduction/advertising tool only, the actual transaction taking place over the 'phone or face to face, therefore I don't think all that palaver is needed.

Of course, you may wish to assert copyright over certain parts of your site, but that's up to you.

It'll be interesting to hear the views of others. smile icon

or you can bundle them all together for ease and pop it under the heading of legal etc.

So it can start with a disclaimer, go through website use and onto the privacy policy.

One page with 3 sections.

Regards,

Phil Hulton

HeadlineDJ

• 2 weeks later...

:wacko:

So whats the general concensus? Do I need the disclaimers etc. on my web site? I really don't know which way to go with this.

I'm wondering if I ought to use it all but maybe just put it on a page hidden away somewhere - not many people can be bothered to read all this jargon, I think most browsers are simply interested in your product you have to offer.

not many people can be bothered to read all this jargon, I think most browsers are simply interested in your product you have to offer.

I agree. I was reading a report from a web guru who claims that most people scan web pages rather than fully read them so if they are faced with a page full of text you lose them pretty rapidly.

And mine, but I console myself by saying that I don't want that kind of customer anyhow!

Interesting, but I have a feeling this only applies for where the entire transaction is conducted online.

In my case, I intend to use my website as an introduction/advertising tool only, the actual transaction taking place over the 'phone or face to face, therefore I don't think all that palaver is needed.

Of course, you may wish to assert copyright over certain parts of your site, but that's up to you.

It'll be interesting to hear the views of others. smile icon

Hi Andy

I have some of the forementioned on my web page but I think that on reflection I had better move it from its hidden location! and check against the recomendations, I know myself and I am sure others are the same when installing new software who reads the licence agreement all I want to do is get on and use it so I click I agree! so in most cases I think the reading public would be the same!

Regards

Keith

interesting, i wonder who is going to be checking the millions of websites out there and ensuring compliance?

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

interesting, i wonder who is going to be checking the millions of websites out there and ensuring compliance?

Its not so much a case of someone reading each website as protecting yourself if you get sued. As a business, you make representation of your business by the website and the content forms part of the contract withe the client. If, for example, you claim to be the "best DJ in the South" or claim to "play the best selection of music" on your site, the client books you because of these comments, then on the day, claims to be disappointed with your performance and wants a refund. You refuse, ends up in court and you don't have a leg to stand on because their is no disclaimer on your site to aid your defense.

Likewise, if someone clicks on a link to another site and suffers a loss using that sites services, if you don't have a disclaimer they can sue you on the basis that you must of endorsed the site as being reputable because you had a link to it.

If your site uses cookies and you don't state that you do, you can be sued for invasion of privacy (there was a class action for this in the US).

It doesn't matter if someone reads the terms and conditions of site useage or not, they just have to be there. If someone chooses not to read them, then they are using the site at there own risk.

A bit like PLI insurance, everyone hopes it will never happen to them but the insurance is there for peace of mind.

If you are a Ltd company then it is EEC law that you state your name and address on your site.

If you are a Ltd company then it is EEC law that you state your name and address on your site.

The way I read the regs is that if you offer a service on-line then you must have your details included even if you're not a Ltd company. :shrug:

Tips for complying with the E-commerce Regulations

To comply with the general information requirements of the E-commerce Regulations 2002 you must give recipients of your online services:

your business' name, geographic address and other details including your email address