Dj's United

What Are Your Hobbies Or Interests Outside Djing?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

surfing (When home in Cornwall)

Don't you do any in Norway then?

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

Ed ; I am now going to stun you with a scientific fact, beyond the arctic cirlcle we dont have waves ! Makes surfing difficult , also the life expectancy once in the sea here is a splendid 4 minutes in the summer months dropping to a magnificent 2 minutes in winter.

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

Ed ; I am now going to stun you with a scientific fact, beyond the arctic cirlcle we dont have waves ! Makes surfing difficult , also the life expectancy once in the sea here is a splendid 4 minutes in the summer months dropping to a magnificent 2 minutes in winter.

Didn't know about the waves, although I did suspect the water might be a tad chilly :ads:

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

Yeh, but with all this global warming, it's only a matter of time........ :D

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/9877/hpim0026cq5.jpg

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/8523/lfcfans1024smallkd3.jpg

Nuff said.

Come on Steve. That was 2 (two) years ago now. Loadsa blue bits in the middle though

Edited by alicat

Answering the question about Rocketry.

Yup Fact ..still trying to break the sound barrier. Basically a huge motor in a small rocket. Most model rockets reach about 200mph in about 50 feet and will fly to about 1,000 feet or more these generally use black powder motors and are similar to firework rockets but that is where the similarity ends. Usually there is a small charge at the end of the 'Burn' that will explode and eject the parachute so the rocket falls safely back to earth. You can buy this type from many hobby model shops. Great fun and that's how I started.

Tip DO NOT Launch in any wind..bye bye :D

THEN :joe:

You get into the real stuff. Ammonium Perchlorate motors. (same stuff that lanches the space shuttle) Multi stage Multiple motors going several miles into the air requiring Air Traffic Control clearances. There are very few cleared launch sites in the uk to do this. I am at work now I will post more stuff when I get home.

Jim

Digital Fusion Entertainments

Bose L1 system user.

This....

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/substance/blade1.jpg

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/substance/blade2.jpg

DIY plans and pro audio related technical discussions

www.speakerplans.com/forum

Hi

DJBen, KrazyKaz, Dukesy......

You have now just prompted me to post my main interest outside of DJing....

St John Ambulance!!!!!

Seems like a number of us DJ's are either current members or X-members!

Didnt wanna post mine before, didnt think anyone would be interested lol

I have been doing it since I was 11.......so thats like 21 years!

Still get as much enjoyment out of it now as I did back then.

I have now qualified as a "St John Ambulance Accident and Emergency Technician" which means roughly translated I get to tear round like a nutter with blue lights and neenaws screming "Get out my way, its an emergency" out the window to anyone in earshot :scared:

The satisfaction of helping people who have been unfortunate enough to injure themselfs is a feeling I constantly enjoy.......errr....plus an added bonus is getting into lots of events for free, have been to the British Grand Prix more years than I care to remember now. Plus I have seen many bigname musical acts while giving my services (Green day, Robbie Williams, Bon Jovi, Black Sabath, Feeder, 50 Cent, The Darkness, Girls Aloud, Busted & McFly to name a few. Oh yea last night I was watching a U2 Tribute band and a couple of weeks ago a Queen tribute band both of which were really good).

DJ Ben - Your a sergent.......one up on me, Im only a Corporal :hurt:

Nick

Jimbo - re rockets:

Are you also trying to go for altitude, as well as velocity?

I understand enough about rocket science to know why multi-stage rockets are needed for long flights such as altitude record attemps, but what's the requirement for velocity?

Presumably enormous thrust produced by hideously high pressures, attaining terminal velocity in a very short time?

I'd love to be around when you manage to go supersonic - I'd expect the sound to be quite..... interesting!

Even something the size of a bullet makes quite a loud crack as it passes, a rocket would produce a very obvious shock wave. Is this how you determine success - or is there a more scientific method?

Love it! :D

I forgot to mention the CS and ADs naked morris dancing team !

Keep pasties Cornish

Is the CS and ADs naked morris dancing team available for hire?

And how much do you pay us to perform?? :D

We will do anything for money so the answers yes we are for hire . pay you to perform ? well tell us what you do first ? :rolleyes:

Keep pasties Cornish

Model Rocketry.

The emphsis is on power to size BIG motor and small rocket. the rocket will be about 142 to 18 inches long and about 2 inches in diameter. An E class motor costs about £25 to £45 per launch so it is not cheap. The rocket its self is very simple cardboard tube with plastic wings. Balsa, usually snaps off. The tail HAS to be perfectly aligned or the rocket will spin and disintegrate in a matter of seconds.

You will hear a sonic boom (well crack)

Normally go to about 3500 feet at a max speed of about 1,000 mph. Max G force is about 120 G

The principle is very simple. Instructions below. I can post links to rocket suppliers etc if any one is interested. You can fly the basic models from a largish playing field. they are quite cheap to fly and you normally lose them before they wear out. Each launch will cost about £2 to £5 depending on motor size. The noise is amazing. You can make it very simple or very high tech with computer tracking and recording. Video or still pics etc.

"How to build your own Mach 1 rocket !!

To make the Larrtain L4 or LLOL - use a Thunderhawk (or similar) kit as a base. Use epoxy glue on all joints - wing roots, engine mount, shock mount. Make your own plastic wings from plasticard and design similar to Wizard wings but a little bigger. Sand airfoil surface onto wings if poss and cut angle onto launch lug to make it more aerodynamic (every little helps). Use a shock cord 1 meter in length and 4 meters of streamer to help you sight it. Use E-25-7 with engine adapter mount. Launch only in conditions of no wind and clear skies or you will loose it. Take spare ignitors and a good 12 volt supply. Listen for the sonic crack and have fun!

You can also make a supersonic rocket using a Manta, Athena or USA kit as the base and the wings are already straight for you. This design is only just supersonic though, so launch it when cold (as the speed of sound is slower).

To make Merlin type - use a Zinger type of kit with plastic wings, long streamer etc.

H.A.R.T. cannot be held responsible if the rocket does not break the sound barrier or causes damage as these rockets travel at high speeds and may go wrong."

Bose L1 system user.

I'm in love! :hug:

Cheers Jimbo, you might just have opened the doors to yet another way of happily wasting my money! :D

I can certainly arrange something. I'll have to build a few first as I am a bit low on completed models. If I stick with black powder motors I can launch in any largish park and still achieve 1,000 feet plus very easily. Rockets will range from tiny ones to 6' plus in length. May a couple of two stage.

In the winter, restricted time wise to weekends at the moment and I am very busy during the weekends at the minute but after Easter when the evenings begin to open out I can launch in the evening.

So any largish parks near you Brian? Preferably without too many trees as rockets have a natural affinity to trees :joe:

I can maybe bring along a few other 'Toys' to 1/8 scale off road racing buggies that can do 0-60 in about 2.5 seconds. Maybe some planes and helicopters. Everyone can have a go

Jim

Bose L1 system user.

I can certainly arrange something. I'll have to build a few first as I am a bit low on completed models. If I stick with black powder motors I can launch in any largish park and still achieve 1,000 feet plus very easily. Rockets will range from tiny ones to 6' plus in length. May a couple of two stage.

In the winter, restricted time wise to weekends at the moment and I am very busy during the weekends at the minute but after Easter when the evenings begin to open out I can launch in the evening.

So any largish parks near you Brian? Preferably without too many trees as rockets have a natural affinity to trees :joe:

I can maybe bring along a few other 'Toys' to 1/8 scale off road racing buggies that can do 0-60 in about 2.5 seconds. Maybe some planes and helicopters. Everyone can have a go

Jim

Err, I'm under the Gatwick flightpath :fan: ;thumbdown:

mmmm.. not good. The thing is some of the models are near scale replicas of Hellfire and Sparrow missiles. Even from a few feet away they are remarkably life like. Don't really fancy a straffing from an Apache Attack helicopter. I kid you not in times of maximum alert they are on standby.

I'll find somewhere between us and get back to you.

Jim

Bose L1 system user.

Err, I'm under the Gatwick flightpath :fan: ;thumbdown:

Oh I don't know....could make for an interesting couple of hours (or years........and you get to visit a cheery little place called Guantanamo Bay....marvellous)..... tongue out icon

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

I don't mind a bit of a trip either, if there's a chance of seeing a stick go supersonic.... tongue out icon

How about Salsbury Plain?? You could launch from within Stonehenge, which was what it was originally built for anyhow..... :D

You could launch from within Stonehenge, which was what it was originally built for anyhow..... :D

Funny, I thought it was the original Asda.....??? :ads: tongue out icon

Sounds like great fun, I am under the final approach for Birmingham Airport, funny how you get used to hearing the planes after a bit and don't notice them much!! :hphone: