Dj's United

Dju Members Website Reviews

These reviews are becoming popular again; just to let some of you know, that the reason i don't always post your site up for review as soon as you send me the PM is so that we have a space between reviews, otherwise it will likely result in you getting less people actually taking the time to view your site and posting their thoughts, so please be patient if I don't immediately put the site up for review...

Next up is Nick from the NRG Roadshow which is at www.nrgroadshow.co.uk

The site is still in the early stages and Nick is making changes to the layout and content almost daily, but he has now reached the point where he feels he has something which he thinks is reasonable.

He'd also like some advice on copyright, and he goes on to say

I have seen some other DJU Members websites contain little bits and pieces which I would like to put on mine, mostly the way to word things correctly so it gives a profesional impression.

I presume this is ok providing you ask permision from the site owner first?

Some of my current website was taken from Ed Brays site, which I asked for permission to do.

So once again over to you guys, what are your thoughts on this website?

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear.

There is nothing I detest more than to visit a site up for review and find myself reading my own content.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that your top 100 requested songs is exactly the same as mine or have you simply just cut corners in order to get a couple of pages on your site?

I don't have a monopoly on song titles but the list on my site took some effort to compile and is a reflection of my market. I just find it frustrating that those who copy it can't even be bothered to take a few of mine out and replace them with others more appropriate to their area.

If we're not careful we'll end up with DJ sites across the nation who all claim to play the same songs, offer the same options, the same service - word for word which will only undermine all of us.

Edited by Paul_Smith

I dont really get it.....

All I have used is a list of song titles.......

The song titles used are appropriate for whatever area they are used in.....and many of said song titles have been used by me pesonally........so are appropriate for me. However when I get the time to look through it I will be making changes and putting some of my own in, and taking some of yours out.

Using the list as it stands now, was a quick sollution to me getting a page up like that. Rest assured the content will be changing to my own composition in the near future.

The layout is different to your site.......the only thing thats the same is the order (which is alphabetical).

I aint being an ar$e, I just dont see how I can alter it so as not you infringe your copywrite?

Nick

Edited by NRG Roadshow

The point is that you have copied the list from another members site (by your own admission) rather than spend a couple of hours preparing your own. You then put your site up for review and loo and behold the first member to look at it is the one who did.

What do you expect me to do - congratulate you on your laziness :shrug:

I aint being an ar$e, I just dont see how I can alter it so as not you infringe your copywrite?

You can just spend a little bit of time compiling a list that's relevant to you and your area and not simply copy/paste one off the web. Like I said I don't have a monopoly on song lists but I can see when someone is cutting corners. That's my review of your site.

Edited by Paul_Smith

This is an interesting and very important point.

A few months ago I found that someone had copied a colleague's personal profile and used it on his website!

My colleague had DJ'd on radio and in clubs in various European countries. The irony was that the culprit was half his age and couldn't possibly have had the same experience.

That same culprit had, a few years earlier, copied a brochure of mine word for word.

The likelihood is that it was not so much laziness at work here as an inability to write effective copy and a lack of appreciation of the seriousness of copying the original work of someone else.

By no means does that excuse it but it may give an indication of the mindset of the individual concerned.

Whilst I have to say that I agree with Pauls stance 100%, it also brings another area regarding sites to mind...

I have noticed that many of the 'web designer' designed sites all use the same format, layout etc.

In a way, this is even worse, as people pay loadsadosh for this 'professional' (and supposedly personal)service, and all they're getting is a cloned version of the same site that every other bugger has!!!!!

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

Firstly,

Whilst I gave NRG permission to use some of the text from my site, which I personally wrote. I also told him explicitly that some of my site had been taken from yours (with your permission) and that should he wish to use the First and Second Dance List and the Top 100+ requested songs list then he contact you personally to ask. I did not give him permission to copy your information, and I specifically told him to contact you if he wished to use the pages. I feel a little aggrieved that you would think I had been complicit.

I am sorry that you feel that you now have to withdraw previously obtained permissions to use certain parts of your site, and I will comply with your request to remove them, although it will be within my time frame as I am in the middle of my 3 week work period at the moment and do not have the time to sort it out until that finishes (after the 4th March).

Edited by EdBray

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

I feel a little aggrieved that you would think I had been complicit.

Not half as aggrieved as me when I read my content on another members site :(

My apologies to you Ed. When I made my reply I did take the posts that had already been made at face value and accept that you did not act as had been claimed. :blush: I have also amended my reply.

I am sorry that you feel that you now have to withdraw previously obtained permissions to use certain parts of your site, and I will comply with your request to remove them

I'm sorry too but I've been advised it's the only way I can protect the copyright of my site.

I will comply with your request to remove them

I appreciate that and thanks for your understanding smile icon

Edited by Paul_Smith