Dj's United

n the absence of a next victim from Mikeee, Gary's name has been drawn out of the hat!

(Its a long one, but hey, I've heard that all the time.....)

How long have you been DJ'ing?

My first “proper” gig was 1986, so that’s umm more than 10 years, so I’ll need to take my shoes and socks off…ummm … 17 years.

What inspired you to become a DJ?

I heard a mix on a Radio One breakfast show of Phil Collins: Sussuedo(spelling?) and Prince: 1999 (maths?) and thought “that’s clever, wonder

if I could do that”. Living with Mummy, I had lots of disposable income (an 17 year old, working on commission in a computer shop, during the home computer boom of Spectrums, Quantum leaps, Amstrads 464, Commodore 64s, Dragon 32s, and BBCs and Electrons), so I bought a mixer (Tandy – hey! I was young and didn’t know it was awful, besides there wasn’t an internet then to find any “real” dealers on.) and tried to repeat that mix (it took weeks). I also heard a Madonna megamix in the 2 nightclubs which I used to frequently visit: Brunel Rooms (Swindon) and Virgin Goldiggers (Chippenham). The megamix turned out to be one available to DJ’s only (Disco Mix Club), so I had to become a DJ to get the mix….well, didn’t I?

What type of "Do" was your first gig?

A Brownies and Guides disco for two hours.

How much did you charge (Mikeee please convert this from Shilings and pence to decimal when its your go..)

£20 and all the coke cola I could drink. Mind you, as I was around the same age as some of the Guides (looked), I’d have happily taken a couple of Guides in lieu. (but the cubicles in the Lieu’s were too small)

What equipment did you have to begin with?

Ahh I had two 2nd hand record decks which weren’t even matched – a rare (I sold it for more than bought it for) Garrard deck, and a BSR. One of them even played 16rpms records. Once I realised that I was really getting into DJ’ing, (and got old enough to “sign on the dotted line) I replaced these decks with a pair of Technics SL1210’s – I had to do it on credit, but knew the Technics would last – they’re still set up at most gigs, but 95% retired now.

I also bought (slowly…£100 per month – for over a year) a huge UFO type effect called a Lampo Krypton Superstar. It was really a nightclub effect, a 500 watt halogen bulb inside a UFO shaped head, with 40 flatbeam lenses arranged vertically around the head. The head spun on a variable speed motor, the head unit could be “toppled”/spun on a shoulder motor, and then all this spun on a 3rd “base” motor. It had a rack mount controller with variable speed faders and a dimmer. I found that during the background music at dinner dances, I could heat a Pie, or Cornish pasty up by leaving it on a napkin on the head of the Krypton.

Whats the worst/most embarassing thing you've done in front of an audience?

Other than starting the show off (after background music) and hitting someone on the shoulder with a hot pasty…Well, I’ve had my fair share of setting records off at the wrong speed…those days are almost all behind me now, thanks to CD-decks. I’ve also made a few verbal ****-ups on-air such as during a particularly complicated wedding fayre script which I had to read, I said “The bride of the mother” instead of “The mother of the bride”. Theres no alcohol at Wedding Fayres, (except in the Wedding Cake samples) so everybody noticed, everybody looked. However, the first time I dislocated my knee on a stage during “Blue Brothers: Everybody” (complete with hat and glasses) was probably the worst. There was a shot of pain, a scream which was audible over the song even though I didn’t have the mic on, and I “woke up” looking at my lighting rig. I couldn’t have been “out” for more than a few seconds, since the song was still playing. I slid back behind the disco and started the next track (I always have a few CD’s cued up). I did the rest of the gig hobbling, feeling my trousers getting tight around the swelling knee. Packed away hobbling, went to bed, woke up the next morning, swung my legs out over the edge of the bed, and one wouldn’t bend.

The other thing which I was embarrassed about, although no-one saw, was that one night (a regular night where we ALWAYS got paid REAL cash) we knew we wouldn’t have enough petrol to get home. However, we knew we could take the cash and make it to the 24hour garage near the venue, after the gig. Guess what? We got paid Cheque, early on in the gig. Solution: We extended the “Party-zone” with a long version of Bad Manners – Can Can, and encouraged VERY VERY high kicks… followed by an equally high kicking NEW york New York, followed by a slow section. We dimmed our lights more than normal during the slowies, whilst my roadie went out on his hands and knees around the dancefloor collecting the coins which had fallen out during the high kicks. We got about £3, which was JUST enough to get us home.

I guess a lot of us get stopped by the Police, due to the hours that we keep. I don’t mind at all…sooner or later they might stop my car one night, and it WONT be me driving it. However, getting stopped one December while I still had my Santa Suit on after a gig, left me open for every dim-witted Santa joke that the PC could come up with. Thank heavens he didn’t mention the Wellies, Im sure they’re not really suitable for driving in…

Also Police related, if YOU happen to have the back of your car laden down with DJ equipment/Records etc, and get stopped by a mobile light show (comprising mainly Blue lights), and get asked about the “heavy load”..DO NOT respond “oh its just a dead body officer”… they take a very dim view of it.

What is your favourite type of function now? EG: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, funeral wake..

I like multi-age group functions, such as weddings and Christmas offices parties. I don’t enjoy 16th/18th birthday parties as much, the music range of requests/expectations is too predictable and too easily mixed, although you get more opportunity to play/re-mix the songs. I dislike weddings in one respect – The amount of time that DJ’s are (not?) allocated for setting up. Every other supplier. tradesperson and even God, may have delayed the days proceedings, by 10 minutes here, 30 minutes there etc…but it’s the DJ that’s expected to “make up” the time by being allowed to start setting up at 19:29, for a 19:30 start. (Which flightcase did we put the magic wand in ‘arry?)

Is there anything that you include in your show now, that you wish you'd done/known when you started? (Not equipment, but in human/performer terms)

Audience interaction. My first few gigs I was so nervous of the audience, and got a whole “herd”? “flock”? of butterflies in my stomach everytime I held the mic. Nowadays, I interact with anyone…the couple in the corner during the slow dances (“it helps to come up for air now and again”), the young lady sitting on a guys lap (“Go on Sir, get her to say “Gottle of gear”) etc..etc…

What do you feel you offer your public, that makes you a better DJ than "the next guy/girl"?

Experience of what to do in most situations, and the “ad-lib” ability to think on my feet and not let anything spoil anyones night. A venue I was at a couple of months ago had a power cut (the whole town centre went off-power) during a wedding reception, just after the first record had ended. I explained (with no mic) that it wasn’t the Disco’s equipment that had failed, nor the hotels, but the whole town centre – verified by opening some of the curtains. Years ago, I would have just sat there. But, in the weak glow of the emergency lighting, I stuck on my miners helmet with the torch on it, and wrote Charade songs/TV programs/films etc, on the back of some raffle tickets and started a giant game of charades between the left and right hand sides of the room. I was scribbling new tickets all night – the power didn’t come on again until 2.30am.

Also, equipment choice, and the ability to use that equipment in a way that enhances the crowds enjoyment. For example: The guy in the pub “down the road” might be able to play the same 10+ tracks in any given hour which I can, but I can extend (seamless loop) any of those tracks that the audience is really enjoying. How many times have you had a crowd really enjoying themselves, or that shy couple finally make it to the dancefloor, only to find that theres only 60 seconds left of the song that’s playing…? The couple normally look at you as the record hits its natural outro/fade, as if to say “OI! We were dancing to that…”

Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadnt? and why?

Theres a few records I could mention, but then we could get asked for anything…So, Id have to say, that my first systems case/coffin. I designed it carefully, every measurement checked, every handle considered, every latch type carefully thought out. Fitted all the gear in it (mixer, drum machine, tape deck, equaliser…etc) I could barely lift the wretched thing. I ended up stripping it bare (ohh err) and refitting it as a UV Name light.

Whats your next DJ purchase likely to be?

I'd like to purchase Tony Blackburn. Nah! The Denon DN-X1500 mixer, which comes out in about 2 months time. I already have a 4 channel Stanton RM-100 Mixer, and my older Citronic 10:4 mixer, which I use for back-up (every DJ should carry a backup mixer)

If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?

Well, everyone else has said something similar so, I’d like to wheel in one large “holdall” into a gig, and pull the orange tag. After a few seconds of hissing noise, a fully inflated sound and lighting rig would be there. The Disco equivalent of a life-raft.

An auto-filling in Tax Return would be good. I hate filling out a whole form for the sake of three boxes: (Other employment money earned, other employment outgoings/receipts, sub-total)…. I don’t mind handing over the cheque for my taxes, but I hate filling out the forms…still my brother in law will be a fully qualified accountant in two years…so yooo hoooo….

What do you think is the best thing about DJ'ing.

Knowing that you’ve helped people enjoy themselves.

What do you think is the worst thing about DJ'ing.

The packing away, the cost of music nowadays coupled with the fact that a tune you buy today may not get asked for ever again in a months time. Todays instrumental tunes are simply forgettable lyric-less blips…Some of the tunes from previous decades are asked for again and again, even today.

What would make you stop DJ'ing (if anything).

Health, I’m not slim at all, but I’m healthy (if that makes sense) The doctor (who got and edited version of how my knee got dislocated) says I’ve got a good few years in me yet.

How do you think DJ'ing will change, in the next 5 years?

According to accurate music equipment industry data, vinyl is already dying, analog turntables will be outsold by CD-decks in just 3years if the current trends are projected forward. I see the “vinyl forever” boys having a big course of Humble Pie with gravy and mash before long. The Technics CD-deck isn’t all that good in terms of features, but its name alone, will get CD-Djing accepted by clubs as a recognised “must”. Overall however, it doesn’t matter what medium/format the music comes from – it’s the music itself that’s important.

Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?

”Im a DJ too, I’ve brought me records, Im doing a 30 minute set, maybe 45 minutes.” He wouldn’t have got on anyway….but besides I was using CD’s ONLY that night – no record decks set up.

Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ?

”Tell the tax office that you’re now making money from DJ’ing”. It took me about a year to realise that DJ’ing was more than a just a fad, or a phase, and a further year to realise that however well I managed to keep quiet about earning extra money, the places that were paying me, had to keep accurate records of who they were giving money to.

I approached the tax office (before they approached me), and wrote a letter explaining that I hadn’t kept receipts or accurate accounts in the beginning, as I looked at it more as a hobby. They were VERY VERY fair with me, made an accurate allowance for gigs, equipment, records etc… even without receipts, and a sum was agreed upon.

In contrast, a DJ who started with the same DJ agency I was with got caught by Mr Taxman, for six or seven years of gigs, and they threw the book at him. He had to sell almost everything (except his music collection) to even start to pay off the calculated back-tax.

And worst advice you were ever given

”If you play THIS, everyone will get up and dance” (I’m sure we all fell for this one once upon a time…for the fairytail that it is.) Such startling revelations now get treated to my “30 second rule” which means (as I explain to the audience), that if this “guaranteed floor filler which –steve- has recommended” fails to get anyone dancing in the first 30 seconds, we move onto the next song.

Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill your dance floor!!

Depending on audience and their tastes….

Mavericks: Dance the night away…

Beyonce: Crazy in Love (currently)

Black Box: Ride on time.

Oh, and “Jennifer Warnes/Bill Medley: I’ve had the time of my life.

As old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth.

Sitting in front of my computer. Doh! Basingstoke. Home of the Roundabout. (and 149 of its friends).

Martial status

Married for 9 years, and it seems like only yesterday (wish it was tomorrow, I’d cancel it) (just kidding…OUCH!!!, Argh!!! Stop, please…stop!!!)

Education level

Attained several A levels during my college years. Normally as my hand slid up beneath some girls mini-skirt as we snogged, I’d get to a certain level and hear “AYE!”

Mode of transportation

As of December, I’ll be contracted to just ONE hotel only (except for gigs that are already booked). The hotel has got increasingly fed up with not being able to have me on every date that they’ve wanted me – due to me having bookings elsewhere. So, we’ve agreed a lucrative (££££) deal, whereby for the next two years, I will only work at their hotel. So, mode of transport: two 6ft high security trolleys, as all the gear will stay in a cupboard near the function room – Yippeee no more packing the transit van in rain and sub-zero temperatures at 3 in the morning.

What equipment do you currently use?

(Deep breath) A Stanton RM-100 4 channel mixer, a Citronic 10:4 mixer – soon to be spare when I can get the auction site to like my PC) Ramsa Amplifiers, Ramsa Speakers, Ramsa “black magic box” crossover, Shure SM58 Diversity radio mic, Shure SM58 corded mic, Yamaha SPX-90 MKII effects unit (with an illuminated display for writing the Bride and Grooms name onto….”Please welcome thingy and Whatsit for their first dance”), A Denon 2600 dual CD-deck, Denon DN-D9000 dual CD-deck, 2 x Denon DN-S5000 CD-decks, Technics SL1210’s. Ultimax 1.8m wide goalpost stand, NJD 10,000 Dimmer pack, NJD 8000LV 4 channel controller, NJD 4000CC 4 channel controller (Spare), Ryger 4 channel crossfading controller, Yamaha RX-7 drum machine, 15inch electric fan (VERY IMPORTANT), 2 x 16 reflector spot light screens (hung above), 4 2ftx2ft lightscreens on floor, a Double ball (600watt), A Light Processor “Eric” gobo moonflower, 2 x Goboflower II (one not powering the bulb?), 1 x Lytequest Apollo Mirrorball-like effect, A Gemini/lytequest Timer switching panel for all overhead lighting effects…Several velcro box-ties, One proper bowtie which I cant tie…and a partridge in a pear-tree.

How much have you "invested" in equipment?

several thousand….or several million if the Inland Revenue are reading this….OK?

What was your reason for becoming a DJ?

To bring joy to the world and peace of Earth. Though maybe it was to annoy my Mums neighbours, when I was living with Mum. Maybe its in my blood, my Dad was an entertainer too, in a band.

Approximately how many gigs have you done to date

Zero…if the inland revenue are reading….Urm, its dropped to about 100 a year now, but when I was with the agency, (Big Jim of Jetsound, to whom I owe a lot of my initial DJ training to), I was out often 3 or 4 nights per week for several years. So, I’d say its around 2,500~(ish)

And Gary - Don't forget to post the name of next week's "victim"

Edited by Gary

Another interesting read. Gary makes a valid point about the tax man and I would add - get yourself a good accountant. On this subject the 1st deadline for submitting tax returns is this Tuesday http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif

Congratulations on your 2 year contract as well. So that you don't lose the 'feel' of being a mobile DJ I suggest that at the end of each gig you stand out in the rain for 30 minutes and move a few bollards around the car park http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Hmnn Garrryy! We wanna see the Blues Brothers thingy that you do http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif

Could of done with you last night when I sang Shake a tailfeather, that might of Lively'd them up http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/wacko.gif

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

QUOTE (5star @ Sep 27 2003, 02:56 PM)
Another interesting read. Gary makes a valid point about the tax man and I would add - get yourself a good accountant. On this subject the 1st deadline for submitting tax returns is this Tuesday http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif

Congratulations on your 2 year contract as well. So that you don't lose the 'feel' of being a mobile DJ I suggest that at the end of each gig you stand out in the rain for 30 minutes and move a few bollards around the car park http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

NUDGE NUDGE WINK WINK

I KNOW A GOOD ACCOUNTANT WHO IS AN EXPERT IN THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUDTRY

Mobile Party DJ For Weddings Parties Corporate Events Covering London Essex Kent Sussex Surrey Bucckinghamshire Hertfordshire & Essex

goood job ! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

<font color="#008000">laterzzzzz :blink:</font>

<font color="#0000ff">DJ_CROOKS

</font>

mobile_dj_crooks@hotmail.com

<marquee behavior="alternate"><font color="#008080">Heh, I was a moderator :S</marquee>

QUOTE (paula @ Sep 27 2003, 03:28 PM)
Hmnn Garrryy! We wanna see the Blues Brothers thingy that you do http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif

Could of done with you last night when I sang Shake a tailfeather, that might of Lively'd them up http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/wacko.gif

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

But Paula I'm running out of working knees. http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/095.gif

They dont get as much exercise as yours.... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Ummhh urrr, you know, the way you have to be a floor level to urrmmm plug those Karaoke TV screens in... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/huh.gif

(oh oh....thats ANOTHER Barcardi + Coke mortgage for PLASA 2004 Sept 10 2004 - Sept 14th 2004 http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/wine.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/wine.gif)

But Paula I'm running out of working knees. 

They dont get as much exercise as yours

http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sterb188.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sterb188.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sterb188.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sterb188.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sterb188.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sterb188.gif

Shake a tail feather was not done on ones knees! was it? or have you invented a new version!

Bad Gary!!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sterb188.gif

Nice one Gary,respects to ya,you can borrow a knee off me after 4 ops its starting to look nice! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish

The crazy thing is...I dont drop to my knees (for anybody!) during the routine....

Try this...stand up, feet about 2 ft apart...stretch both hands high to the left - click your fingers on both hands.

Now swing both hands down low to the right, click fingers.

Now swing both hnads low to the left, click fingers.

Now both hands go high to the right, click fingers.

repeat, all while nodding head to the beat.

OK....your knees will both be compensating for your ridiculous actions...as you reach left, they'll counter-balance right...and vice versa....

If you put enough SWING! into each move, (and have a previously damaged knee perhaps http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/huh.gif ) then you too could end up reaching for the crossfader from floor level at the end of the song - http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/scared.gif - http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/oops.gif - - -

Everybody.....needs someb.......ARGHHHHH THWUD!

nice interveiw gary http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif well done with the contract

Ohhh, I didnt mention something, which I promised that I would.

My first ever disco for the agency which helped me on my DJ career, was a 60's night http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif . Theres me at 18 years of age - in 1980something... and I've been given a 60's night to do....http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/scared.gif

It wasnt even my own gear. The agency lent me one of their Citronic Consoles, which tastefully came in a giant (you could hide in it) Purple cardboard case, with yellow writing all over it...(very accessorised huh?). But watching the record decks Auto-Cue was spooky...the way that they spun back and forth on their own, searching for the first beat.

I HAD however, been given about 6 weeks notice of this gig, so I went out and bought a good couple of dozen 60's compilation albums. I dutifully sat at home in the evenings, listening to the tracks and writing down the track names (and locations) on three pieces of paper.

1) A Dance-able list of tunes.

2) A slow dance/romantic list of tunes.

3) Medium/background music.

The most common error that I had that night was that tune selection, including cueing up, was taking me about 3 minutes. The problem on that night was that, as I found out to my peril, most 60's tunes only last about 2mins 50 seconds on average...

OK, nowadays, I would have chatted over the remaining 10 seconds gap - back then, the microphone might as well have had 10,000 volts running thru it, judging by my nerves for using it....

I learnt a valuable lesson from that gig

too. - - - - The chicken drumsticks featured in "brought from families homes" buffets, never hygenically survive the afternoon under clingfilm on the backseat of someones car... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/363.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/363.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/363.gif maybe it was the butterflies in my stomach?...

Excellent interview...oh to get a contract like that!

I was offered something very similar, however my git of a roadie had just done a disappearing act, leaving me with no back up at all, had to turn the contract down...a month later A DJ calls me looking for work. Such awful sodding timing.

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope im not on the "to-boot" list http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif !!

Nice interview though, Gary.

As I was saying, I"ve been on vacation to sunny Florida, and had LOTS of schoolwork!

Hopefully mChris will spare me from this list of death!!!

---Alex
QUOTE (fenix842 @ Oct 19 2003, 01:59 AM)
I hope im not on the "to-boot" list http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif !!

Nice interview though, Gary.

As I was saying, I"ve been on vacation to sunny Florida, and had LOTS of schoolwork!
Hopefully mChris will spare me from this list of death!!!

And I was just about to wear my grim reaper outfit and come calling http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

No you aren't on the list of "To Boots" and with 88 posts you won't be either, providing-

(1) You keep on doing your school work (am I starting to sound like a teacher yet? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smartass.gif )

(2) You buy me a pint when your 21

(3) You bought me a little beach house whilst you were in Florida http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/tongue.gif (How does "Chris's Surf Shack" sound??

Gary hasn't told us who's next on the list

Darren

Take a listen to Music Matters, the Big Mix Entertainment podcast, featuring music from the Podsafe Music Network.

Nobody else wants to be interviewed http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/533.gif 21 sets of interviews went out over the past fortnight, and guess how many have come back?? http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif

No you aren't on the list of "To Boots" and with 88 posts you won't be either, providing-

(1) You keep on doing your school work (am I starting to sound like a teacher yet?  )

(2) You buy me a pint when your 21

(3) You bought me a little beach house whilst you were in Florida  (How does "Chris's Surf Shack" sound??

Grades: Check

Pint: Check

Chris's Surf Shack: after I win the lotto jackpot!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

---Alex
  • 1 month later...

"NEXT!" - come on then...might as well get one more interview in, at least, before the Christmas gigs come rolling in... http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Yep,come on dont be shy http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I will try anything,once!

The Cornish will arise again !

Manager of the Andy Harris Fan Club.

Keep pasties Cornish