Dj's United

Heres One For The Boys In The Smoke

Yes you are correct in your assumption Mr Spinner Some not all... Infact probably a minority...

Nik

I noticed your comment about an £80 DJ taking work away.

If one charges, say, £200 and considers that fair or the going rate for the area and a certain level of professionalism etc. then, surely, it's unlikely that someone prepared to pay only £80 would have booked in the first place?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed your comment about an £80 DJ taking work away.

If one charges, say, £200 and considers that fair or the going rate for the area and a certain level of professionalism etc. then, surely, it's unlikely that someone prepared to pay only £80 would have booked in the first place?

But if I have an item for sale at £200 and you dont know that you can get it for £100 then you might buy the one from me... Now we all know that a lot of punters think sadly that a disco is a disco is a disco... And who knows what the going rate is untill you have called say half a dozen DJs.

So when they phone DJ A to Z in the local directory or search engine do they think woo im going for DJ P cause he the going rate or expencive or DJ X because he is cheap.... We all go on about PAT PLI illegal downloads etc but a lot (Not All) of people dont care or understand what this is... I would agree its our job to educate them to the requirements of these items but its not always what people want to hear... After all your just some bloke in the corner playing some tunes...

I hope that answers your question and thanks for asking

Nik

But if I have an item for sale at £200 and you dont know that you can get it for £100 then you might buy the one from me... Now we all know that a lot of punters think sadly that a disco is a disco is a disco... And who knows what the going rate is untill you have called say half a dozen DJs.

So when they phone DJ A to Z in the local directory or search engine do they think woo im going for DJ P cause he the going rate or expencive or DJ X because he is cheap.... We all go on about PAT PLI illegal downloads etc but a lot (Not All) of people dont care or understand what this is... I would agree its our job to educate them to the requirements of these items but its not always what people want to hear... After all your just some bloke in the corner playing some tunes...

I hope that answers your question and thanks for asking

Nik

Yes and no.

The above must assume the £200 item and the £100 item are the same.

I would doubt that a mobile DJ charging £80 would be as good as someone established in the same area charging £200.

Of course I could be wrong.

The £80 person could be extremely philanthropic, could be going out at a low rate to get established, could be useless or could be a mug selling him/herself short.

By the same token you could suggest that Waitrose might be upset if Aldi opened down the road. Aren't they selling the same thing?

Again it's yes and no.

You can go into any supermarket and see several brands of baked beans all at diferent prices and all selling.

Each appeals to a different part of the customer base that frequents the store and its quite likely that someone paying 15p a can wouldn't or couldn't pay 68p per can and quite possibly vice versa.

That apart and changing the subject slightly, anyone who is any good, experienced etc. is not selling the fact that they have PLI and PAT and that's not what clients are buying. It's experience, professionalism, presentation skills, knowledge, reliability and above all service that people buy.

If everything was the same in all market sectors and based solely on price then only the lowest common denominator would win each time.

But market forces are not like that. Different people have different perceptions.

If you can provide what they want at a price they consider reasonable, whether it's £80 or £800, then you'll make a sale.

Yes and no.

The above must assume the £200 item and the £100 item are the same.

I would doubt that a mobile DJ charging £80 would be as good as someone established in the same area charging £200.

Of course I could be wrong.

The £80 person could be extremely philanthropic, could be going out at a low rate to get established, could be useless or could be a mug selling him/herself short.

By the same token you could suggest that Waitrose might be upset if Aldi opened down the road. Aren't they selling the same thing?

Again it's yes and no.

You can go into any supermarket and see several brands of baked beans all at diferent prices and all selling.

Each appeals to a different part of the customer base that frequents the store and its quite likely that someone paying 15p a can wouldn't or couldn't pay 68p per can and quite possibly vice versa.

That apart and changing the subject slightly, anyone who is any good, experienced etc. is not selling the fact that they have PLI and PAT and that's not what clients are buying. It's experience, professionalism, presentation skills, knowledge, reliability and above all service that people buy.

If everything was the same in all market sectors and based solely on price then only the lowest common denominator would win each time.

But market forces are not like that. Different people have different perceptions.

If you can provide what they want at a price they consider reasonable, whether it's £80 or £800, then you'll make a sale.

Using your analogie of the backed beans we might buy many cans of backed beans in our lifetime but only one or two discos.... We might try the cheaper beans to see if they are as good as the more expensive ones... They may be total :poo: and we go back to the 68p variety.. Or they might be fantastic as good as if not better than the 68p variety... Would you not be the mug if you paid 68p for the rest of your life never trying the 15p variety just because you could afford the the 68p tins.... As I say above you might buy many tins of beans through your life where you might only buy or hire one disco say for your wedding...

If you have never had the more expensive beans you dont know what your missing and having only had the 15p tins you might think all beans or in our case all DJs are the same...lol

I love analogies they dont have anything to do with our market but you can always bend them to make a point lol....

Some of you seem to be missing the point of this extended thread... I am not saying this is me I have openly told you all what I charge... But dont we all always want more... Does David Becham think I dont mind going to another club even if the pay is less no he wants more... upppssss another analogie..

But I hope you get my point.... Or maybe you dont lol

Also going back to supermarkets who is the most succesfull supermarket in the land... Tesco... And what is there main sales pitch PRICE!!!....

As to selling PAT PLI etc most people on here seem to push that on there site... Also how do you know what professionalism or experience your getting untill the day of the event???? A fancy web site or smooth talking sales person does not always come through and what if DJ joe chancer charges £200 or £800 and is also a pile of :poo: Price does not guarantee anything in all instances......

Nik

Again it's yes and no.

:toot:

Thanks I'm sure from most for the lightning economics/business studies lesson (no sarcasm at all intended).

SURELY, you're not suggesting that Aldi and Waitrose AREN'T one and the same thing...........?

:nono: :wacko:

To UK Hero: I was writing this while UK Hero was replying...but B* G:cense: you're wonderfully adept at totally missing the point, aren't you!

Cheers!

Roy B.

Digital Distortion Disco (D3 Entertainments)

See you around!

SURELY, you're not suggesting that Aldi and Waitrose AREN'T one and the same thing...........?

Maybe they are but, as I'm sure you'll know, it's all about perception.

Using your analogie of the backed beans we might buy many cans of backed beans in our lifetime but only one or two discos.... We might try the cheaper beans to see if they are as good as the more expensive ones... They may be total :poo: and we go back to the 68p variety.. Or they might be fantastic as good as if not better than the 68p variety... Would you not be the mug if you paid 68p for the rest of your life never trying the 15p variety just because you could afford the the 68p tins.... As I say above you might buy many tins of beans through your life where you might only buy or hire one disco say for your wedding...

If you have never had the more expensive beans you dont know what your missing and having only had the 15p tins you might think all beans or in our case all DJs are the same...lol

Nik

And if you were arranging a wedding in a smart hotel paying, say, £100 per person for food and drink, wouldn't you consider £80 for your evening entertainment a little on the low side?

Perception.

Thanks I'm sure from most for the lightning economics/business studies lesson (no sarcasm at all intended).

To UK Hero: I was writing this while UK Hero was replying...but B* G:cense: you're wonderfully adept at totally missing the point, aren't you!

Maybe i get it from you guys lol

Nik

So what?

Whether consciously or not you have missed or misunderstood the point.

I give up.

Yes I think I have missed your point... I think you should give up.... Im an hopeless case lol

Nik

Maybe i get it from you guys lol

Nik

Yes I think I have missed your point... I think you should give up.... Im an hopeless case lol

Nik

The post you quoted was changed so that you've replied to something that is no longer there.

Suggest you read it again then make your comment.

And if you were arranging a wedding in a smart hotel paying, say, £100 per person for food and drink, wouldn't you consider £80 for your evening entertainment a little on the low side?

Perception.

Yes I would but as stated on here by other Members the Entertainment is the last thing a B&G seemed concurned about... I am only going on what has been said on this site by forum members... B&Gs pay thousands for Dress, photographer, venue etc but the DJ or band comes way down the list...

The hotel charges B&G say £500 for the Disco they take a cut out of it and pass it on to an agent he takes a cut and passes it to the DJ so £500 could very easily become £80 to £100 quid for the DJ.. High paying B&G expect £500 worth of DJ but get £80.... See....

A friend of mine told me the other day he has B&Gs phone him for a band with a budget of £300.... I think my posts come across as though I am taking this personal and I am not, in honesty I just say what I think and quote what I have read on here and offer thoughts as topics for debate. My point about some double standards taking place is still true... I am sorry you had to ammend your post to still try to get me to see your point but I still cant...

Look lets just say your right and im wrong I am sure we could go back and forth on this all year and we both have much more important things to do than try to convince each other there point is valid...

Nik

Yes I would but as stated on here by other Members the Entertainment is the last thing a B&G seemed concurned about... I am only going on what has been said on this site by forum members... B&Gs pay thousands for Dress, photographer, venue etc but the DJ or band comes way down the list...

The hotel charges B&G say £500 for the Disco they take a cut out of it and pass it on to an agent he takes a cut and passes it to the DJ so £500 could very easily become £80 to £100 quid for the DJ.. High paying B&G expect £500 worth of DJ but get £80.... See....

A friend of mine told me the other day he has B&Gs phone him for a band with a budget of £300.... I think my posts come across as though I am taking this personal and I am not, in honesty I just say what I think and quote what I have read on here and offer thoughts as topics for debate. My point about some double standards taking place is still true... I am sorry you had to ammend your post to still try to get me to see your point but I still cant...

Look lets just say your right and im wrong I am sure we could go back and forth on this all year and we both have much more important things to do than try to convince each other there point is valid...

Nik

I really can't comment on your post after the first 3 words.

They are the only part relevant to the point I was making.

So thanks for that.

Sorry I dont understand...

Nik

I point i was making Nac is. You say am doing a singer out of a gig because I sing? So, am I doing a plumber out of a job because I removed a sock from the filter of our washing machine?

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

I point i was making Nac is. You say am doing a singer out of a gig because I sing? So, am I doing a plumber out of a job because I removed a sock from the filter of our washing machine?

Possably.... And I guess im doing the paper boy out of a job when i get my newspaper....

Nik

This thread is going off topic :angry:

I really can't comment on your post after the first 3 words.

They are the only part relevant to the point I was making.

So thanks for that.

What not even this bit "Look lets just say your right " oh well

Nik

This thread is going off topic

I agree Mods can you close this thread now as it has gone way off my original post

Many thanks

Nik

Edited by Paul_Smith
I agree Mods can you close this thread now as it has gone way off my original post

Yes it has gone off topic however there may still be members who would like to add an 'on topic' point now that it is back on track again smile icon

Yes it has gone off topic however there may still be members who would like to add an 'on topic' point now that it is back on track again smile icon

thats fine by all means contribute but do not direct any more questions via this thread to me

Cheers

Nik

• 1 year later...

Seems like these guys are on the look out again, They have raised the price a little more... Any takers?

BTW I am nothing to do with this company...

Professional Mobile DJs Needed

About The Job

posted this job on 02/05/08

A number of professional mobile DJs are needed for regular work throughout the UK, excluding London (as we are fully staffed around London) The majority of the work will be weddings, with some corporate gigs as well.

The normal fee paid per gig will be between £250 - £350, depending on the size, time and location of the event. If you can provide a full laser light show the fee can easily be between £450 to £550.

We operate with a high level of integrity and professionalism and as such we have some strict criteria that our DJ's need to meet. The following points have been refined over the last couple of years of business after some bad experiences with using a couple of highly un-professional DJ’s.

Please only apply if you can answer yes to all the below questions, your application will not be considered otherwise:

1. Have you got at least 2 years experience as a mobile DJ or have you played at least 50 gigs as a mobile DJ?

2. Have you played a wide range of gigs that includes a range of different birthday parties, children parties and corporate events?

3. Have you got at least a 600W sound system with a DJ stand?

4. Have you got at least three good lighting effects?

5. Have you got a good collection of music covering a wide range of genres?

6. Has your equipment been PAT test in the last year?

7. Do you pay your taxes and are you happy to invoice us the amount payable to you, as well as receiving payment by either BACS or cheque?

8. Are you covered with PLI (Public Liability Insurance)?

9. Are you happy to provide documentation for points 6, 7 and 8?

10. Are you a good communicator, friendly and approachable?

11. Can you show us a photo of your full equipment set up?

12. Can you take on board feedback, regardless of how long you have been DJ’ing?

This is VERY important. Even if you have been DJ'ing for 30 years you must be able to take on board constructive criticism.

13. Are you happy to DJ under our Kill the DJ Ltd brand and are you happy not to promote your own personal services and to promote ours at gigs you are given?

(we state in our contract to you that any work which is generated from the gigs you do for us are offered to you first)

14. Can you agree not to outsource any gigs that are given to you by us and to be in communication with the director is you cannot do a gig you are given personally?

15. Are you happy to source a number of songs and prepare a full play list that you can show the client before you play the gig? (this won’t apply to every gig you receive but will apply to the majority)

If you answered yes to all of the above then email your CV through. Due to the high number of applications we receive we are not able to reply to everyone. If you do not hear anything from us within two weeks you have not been successful on this occasion.

Please do not apply if you are an experienced club DJ who has not done at least 50 gigs as a mobile DJ.

Nationwide (excluding London)

Salary

£250 - £500 per gig

Duration

Adhoc

Nik

Their ideas about lasers almost doubling the fee, and being able to present/generate a full playlist prior to a gig are interesting, and for some perhaps these points could be inversely beneficial to a good night.

eg: Some would rather a night without lasers, and a playlist that wasn't pre-determined in ignorance of the guests and requests.

Still, what they're offering could be useful to some members.