Dj's United

Denon Case Questions

Firstly, I'm not peeved with the Denons...I haven't even plugged them in yet.

Received a 4500 from Array and an x900 and a 2-4-2 Kamcase from GSL this morning. Boy was I excited! Took everything out its packaging, went "ooo" for a bit and then started to put it together.

Almost 90 minutes later I have back ache and two fingers feel like they've got frost bite. This is from trying to put the bolt clips on the racking system in the Kamcase. I've done 10 of 12 in this time, putting my fingers in jeopardy of being sliced off on more than one occasion.

I only did 10 in order to check the mixer fits in the 2-4-2 case as promised by GSL. He said there will be a 2mm gap. How he sees this I don't know because my mixer is standing proud by about 8mm at the minute.

So, will a 2-4-2 case suffice for the x900 mixer? Would anybody actually recommend Kamcases or would you suggest something a little less life-threatening..and larger?

Yours, a very fed-up wanting-to-be-Denon DJ.

[insert quirky comment]

I assume a 2-4-2 case refers to the size of "U"s it takes up? In which case, the mixer part (4U) would be fine but the 2500 is a 3U head. So it won't fit. Unless I am wrong in my asumption.

I use Gator cases, which are ABS, light and strong.

Firstly, I'm not peeved with the Denons...I haven't even plugged them in yet.

Received a 4500 from Array and an x900 and a 2-4-2 Kamcase from GSL this morning. Boy was I excited! Took everything out its packaging, went "ooo" for a bit and then started to put it together.

Almost 90 minutes later I have back ache and two fingers feel like they've got frost bite. This is from trying to put the bolt clips on the racking system in the Kamcase. I've done 10 of 12 in this time, putting my fingers in jeopardy of being sliced off on more than one occasion.

I only did 10 in order to check the mixer fits in the 2-4-2 case as promised by GSL. He said there will be a 2mm gap. How he sees this I don't know because my mixer is standing proud by about 8mm at the minute.

So, will a 2-4-2 case suffice for the x900 mixer? Would anybody actually recommend Kamcases or would you suggest something a little less life-threatening..and larger?

Yours, a very fed-up wanting-to-be-Denon DJ.

I think from what Gary was saying in an earlier thread, the denon mixers are quite deep compared to others, so maybe that's your problem. a 2-6-2 case might have been better.

I have a 4500 in 2-4-2 case but i use a Numark mixer and it fits fine.

rob.

I think from what Gary was saying in an earlier thread, the denon mixers are quite deep compared to others, so maybe that's your problem. a 2-6-2 case might have been better. I have a 4500 in 2-4-2 case but i use a Numark mixer and it fits fine.

Correct - my Numark mixer would fit in without a problem. The Denon is deep which is why I decided to buy the case from one of the best Denon dealer's in the UK and take their advice...which was a 2-4-2. If I had a 2-5-2 then I would need a blanking plate as well, which doesn't look that nice.

GARY!!!!! Where are you!!!???

[insert quirky comment]

Correct - my Numark mixer would fit in without a problem. The Denon is deep which is why I decided to buy the case from one of the best Denon dealer's in the UK and take their advice...which was a 2-4-2. If I had a 2-5-2 then I would need a blanking plate as well, which doesn't look that nice.

GARY!!!!! Where are you!!!???

enjoy the 4500 it's a cracking cd player.

i assume all 2-4-2 cases are the same size. i agree with you ben that the 2-4-2 cases are better han say 2-5-2 with a blanking plate, if you are using a standard 4u mixer.

I have a gemini and kam 2-4-2 cases and they are of a similar size.

i would have thought the dealer has some responsibility here, and should swap the case. Gary might have an answer.

rob.

i would have thought the dealer has some responsibility here, and should swap the case. Gary might have an answer.

GSL are a good bunch so I'm sure they will, but I don't want to make do with a blanking plate - I'd prefer to pay a bit more and have something without it though.

Can't wait to use the bloody thing!

[insert quirky comment]

Is KAMcase the same people as KAM? are they the same people who make the KAM 200 CD CD case? if so, my recommendation is definately SWAP THE CASE... I have a KAM CD case, its about 8 months old, maybe 9...the handle is in pieces, one of the corners has fallen off, 2 of the rubber feet came off within days of owning it (bought as an unbranded case - I know why they sold it unbranded - I'd have never have bought a Kam..).

I feel for you with those rack strips - I've drawn blood from captive nuts.....I'll re-phrase that - I had to load up 4 cases where the rack strips had some square spring clips holding in the square nut behind the rack strip, ready for the bolt to screw down into from the front of the rack strip - OOOWWWW !!!

The DN-D4500 which you've bought is indeed a 2 rack unit control panel, with a 2 rack unit high drawer unit...so...thats your 2u.......and........2u on the casing used up. Leaving the 4U

The DN-X500 and DN-X900 (gets my vote as most stunning mixer ever - my next flightcase probably wont have the space for my DN-X1500 so...it's a DN-X900 for me next.) are both 4U mixers but deep as mentioned above. 482 (W) x 112.5 (H) x 177 (D) mm or 19.0 (W) x 4.4 (H) x 6.9 (D) inch... in old money.

In a 2U-4U-2U case, if the 4U is sloped, I would imagine that the lower front of the mixer is snagging the top of the CD-mech drawers, and making the mixer sit proud.

Two options are to go for a case which is 2U-6U-2U...and mount the X-900 near the back of the 6U leaving the front 2U of the 6U spare, to be blanked etc... or get a case which is 2U-4U-3U....again with a blanking panel, this time above the drawer units.

But...theres another idea, its a bit "revolutional", a bit "thinking outside the box"....and may not physically work on a Kam case...but I've seen this done before and its a good idea (if it can be done in a kam case).

Here goes... Mount the 4500 mech units on 3inch bolts BEHIND the rack panels - using spacers. This gives you the following benefits:

1) The lowest front edge of the mixer will now sit -slightly- in-front of, and lower than the top of the drawer units, instead of clashing for the same space.

2) The CDs will eject into a safe area where someone walking past the flightcase wont knock them.

3) The CD mech units are heavy (you've probably noticed this already - mounting them 3 inches back into the case will mean that the centre of balance for the case will be less front heavy.

To try this idea out, put the drawers into the case first, placed in the middle of the floor of the flightcase, then add the mixer into its 4U space - now slide the CD mech unit forward unit it touches the lowest front edge of the mixer - thats your front-line for the CD-mechs.

I assume a 2-4-2 case refers to the size of "U"s it takes up? In which case, the mixer part (4U) would be fine but the 2500 is a 3U head. So it won't fit. Unless I am wrong in my asumption.

I use Gator cases, which are ABS, light and strong.

DURR!!

Sorry, misread your problem, I thought it was a 2500 unit! Dumbo.

sorry! :stu:

Is KAMcase the same people as KAM?

I feel for you with those rack strips - I've drawn blood from captive nuts.....OOOWWWW !!!

Appreciate the advice; thanks Gary. I believe the Kamcase is manufactured by Kam. I did draw blood, and it is amazing somebody hasn't ended up in hospital having their finger sticthed back on...they are that dangerous.

As for the idea...it's a no-go. I couldn't get the CD drawer unit in from the top, rear or front. There is a blanking panel I could have removed and tried again, but I was totally fed up by this stage. I thought GSL were meant to know their stuff, I thought they were Denon main dealers..? Poor knowledge or lack of training or both...a flight case for a Denon mixer and cd-player is such a simple request.

As for its replacement...I can only go with suggestions. I'll look at Saville, ABS and Gator to see if they have anything suitable.

Having dumped all the gear in an older flight case for now another problem has surfaced. There are buttons all the way to the back of the X900, which get in the way of the CD control panel. Therefore, the control panel needs to be lifted up a bit (a 3U) or the mixer requires at least a 5U and blanking panel. I'm now thinking a 3-4-3 could be more suited to this set-up.

[insert quirky comment]

• 3 years later...

I think the main problem with Denon is that being an american company, they make equipment in imperial measurements and most cases over here are in metric, which means that sometimes the Denons are slightly too big, because the conversion from inches to cm isn't exact an the tolerances are that fine, a mm here or there can make all the difference. It took me quite a while to find a 12u sloping case that had the depth to take my HD2500.

I used to have the X500, HD2500 and Acme DMX plus a 2U QSC Amp in a 10U 3U from DJKITKASE. Even though there was supposed to be a spare U of space it was pretty tight between the Amp and HD2500. A 3U amp wouldn't fit.