Dj's United

Running Legit Vehicles

So how many of you are correctly insured for your vehicle?. by correctly insured I mean that you have clearly stated mobile dj as your main or part time occupation?

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

The car is insured for all our own businesses.

The van is insured as the car, plus as a courier just in case I get a freelance job ferrying goods from A to B.

Both have full AA Assistance, top option, plus the van also has a Citreon assist package too.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

Yes of course, would you consider using you vehicle otherwise?

I don't know brian that is exactly why i am asking and given that this topic has 33 views but only 2 replies i would imagine that some would perhaps prefer not to comment :rolleyes: . the reason i ask is that my nephew has just passed his test at age 20 and to insure a 1.2, 8 year old fiesta the premium is £1470 and he is not even a deejay. i am just wondering how the youngsters who are djs and aged under 24 are insuring their vehicles for this type of risk, i mean the premiums must be in excess of £2000 or more likely £3000 a year. My own premium rockets by £350 just for the business it is insured for and i have 20 years ncb and an advanced drivers certificate (ambulance). it would also be interesting to get a list of insurers who can insure for this level of risk as i noticed the mainstream ones have a clause even before the quote engine which prevents sportspeople, nightclub owners, taxi drivers and those within the entertainment industry to even continue with a quote which i guess is the insurers version of saying no room at the inn for this occupation.

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Yep, 960 2.5ltr Volvo Estate, fully comp, DJ, Agent, Carrying Kit (kit not covered) all the add on's bar courtsey car £217.00 a year.

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

My policy specifically states 'Mobile DJ' it cost me an additional £180 above what class A business use would have cost for my normal occupation.

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

So how much, most of the replies are from older people (myself excluding obviously)

1.9DCi Renault Laguna Estate on a 51 plate costs £299 p.a

2.0 Citreon Dispatch van on a 07 plate costs £365 p.a

In fact we spent around £1500 last year on insurances.

.....but what do I know ?

Your Big Event

Office:01803 813540

Direct: 0797 0717 448

e.mail:info@yourbigevent.co.uk

I use my vectra estate as a taxi and for carrying disco equipment....My premiums??????????

£1100 fully comp..

Its the PLI for the taxi that boosts it up.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

i'm confused, i also looked at norwich union as an option, but even before you enter the quote they mention specifically on the front page of exclusions that they DO NOT cover any driver involved with or working within the entertainment industry.

No driver of your vehicle has any of the following occupations: taxi driver, professional sports person, scrap metal dealer, waste dealer, market or street trader, or anyone connected with the entertainment industry

Are you sure that N.U hasn't just insured you for general non specific business use?, maybe you should ring and ask them to put it in writing as it would seem to be a convenient clause to use in order to wriggle out of any potential claim, what insurers say on the phone when they take your money and what they say or do when it comes to paying it out are two very different things. If you had the words mobile disco within your company name and the vehicle was insured under the name of the company then they wouldn't be able to challenge it, however if the car / van is insured in your name or a non specific business name which doesn't state mobile disco then chances are they would possibly challenge it

Correct most insurers won`t touch buisness. I have to look about for taxi insurance as the average, churchill, direct line etc don`t do it.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

Correct most insurers won`t touch buisness. I have to look about for taxi insurance as the average, churchill, direct line etc don`t do it.

Churchhill will do Mobile DJ as a part time job. I registered as my day job with business then rang them to tell them and they just noted it on my policy no extra charge!

i'm confused, i also looked at norwich union as an option, but even before you enter the quote they mention specifically on the front page of exclusions that they DO NOT cover any driver involved with or working within the entertainment industry.

Are you sure that N.U hasn't just insured you for general non specific business use?,

My wife insures the van. We did it that way because she had some unused no claims bonus from another policy.

The 2006-2007 Policy Schedule of cover contains her name and address plus Occupation: Mobile Disco Owner and Business: Discotheque.

The policy was effected through a broker. That may have made a difference.

i have persued the Norwich Union question a little further, purely as it seems more attractive than my current insurer and i still have 3 days in which to cancel and move tongue out icon . Upon contacting their quoteline it was immediately obvious that they were not using a Uk call centre, at first my occupation as mobile dj was accepted but i wasn't fully sure that the operative was fully aware of what it was, so i then explained that the job title was within the entertainment industry and was told that the quote could go no further :wall: . I think i'll stick with my current insurer unless anybody else has any suggestions, i think the whole N.U thing throws up a huge grey area as to what is and isn't classed as entertainment and they don't even seem sure themselves and if this is how confusing it is at quote time, how would I fare with a claim?. Right i'm off to try Churchill.

i have persued the Norwich Union question a little further, purely as it seems more attractive than my current insurer and i still have 3 days in which to cancel and move tongue out icon . Upon contacting their quoteline it was immediately obvious that they were not using a Uk call centre, at first my occupation as mobile dj was accepted but i wasn't fully sure that the operative was fully aware of what it was, so i then explained that the job title was within the entertainment industry and was told that the quote could go no further :wall: . I think i'll stick with my current insurer unless anybody else has any suggestions,

If I can get cover with Norwich Union, via Swinton, why should you not be able to?

If I can get cover with Norwich Union, via Swinton, why should you not be able to?

Maybe down to the small fact that until this moment in time you hadn't divulged this information. All you had said was that you were insured by N.U via a broker and there are hundreds of brokers out there tongue out icon . However a call to Norwich Union direct using 0800 888 112 confirmed that as an entertainer i would not be covered on their policy as it is an occupation which they do not cover. i have no idea how Swinton have got around this, or what deals they have in place for those in this type of industry as my call was not to them it was directly to the NU Call centre.

Maybe down to the small fact that until this moment in time you hadn't divulged this information. All you had said was that you were insured by N.U via a broker and there are hundreds of brokers out there tongue out icon . However a call to Norwich Union direct using 0800 888 112 confirmed that as an entertainer i would not be covered on their policy as it is an occupation which they do not cover. i have no idea how Swinton have got around this, or what deals they have in place for those in this type of industry as my call was not to them it was directly to the NU Call centre.

It's possible.

I didn't divulge another fact and that is that, originally, it was done direct with NU - on the same terms - but I switched to getting it through Swinton ( or their predecessors, Swinton bought out the original broker) because they got me a lower quote. I doubt if the broker I'm using gets terms any more preferential than any other broker, but it may well be that some cover effected through brokers is not available direct.

It's possible, I suppose, that NU have changed their criteria since then but I'm not the only one on here who has a policy with them so it all seems very confusing.

I went with a-plan insurance after having it recommended on here by Chris Pointen. No problems to date, and they beat my best quote by £40.

Eddie

<a href="http://www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk" title="Vibrant Sounds Mobile Disco & Karaoke DJ Ed Bray Eddie Bray eddiebray plymouth devon weddings birthdays parties mobilediscoplymouth" "mobile disco plymouth">www.vibrant-sounds.co.uk</a>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>PAFC Pride of DEVON</span> C'mon U Greens

I didn't divulge another fact and that is that, originally, it was done direct with NU - on the same terms

If you have a policy which mentions the term mobile disco or mobile dj on the policy then i wouldn't quibble or worry, because it would be hard for any insurer to state that you didn't disclose it as a material fact when it appears printed on your policy!. More of a concern are those with policies which simply state 'for use by the policyholder in connection with his/her business' many people believe that they are insured for business use (correct) but fail to read the list of exclusions in the small print on the policy wording which often exclude Taxis, sports related activities and entertainment. So under this sweeping term, you are covered for business use, provided you are a butcher, plumber, carpet fitter etc, but not in connection with any entertainment related activities, as deejays we are, so in essence your policy would not be valid. This may leave you with the policy reduced to only the minimum 3rd party insurance provided by each insurer by law, or worse still may leave you entirely uninsured. So my advice would be, that verbally informing your insurer or broker of your business is not enough, and you need to ensure that it is stated on the document. So whoever you insure with, to make sure that your vehicle is not only insured for general business use, but that it is stated on the policy what that business activity is, even if the policy is taken out in the name of 'John Smith T/A Smiths Mobile Disco' - this way it would be almost impossible for the insurance company to argue in the future that you hadn't disclosed your business activity to them, when you took out the policy. Its a simple tip which may prevent problems if you are ever unfortunate enough to have a claim.

Go to www.confused.com, fill in the details, including occupation and see what comes back. I regularly switch between N U and N U Direct, same parent, different companies, all trying to out do each other.

..playing all the hits for you...

....whether you may be....

Why can't I see what i going on???

i am just wondering how the youngsters who are djs and aged under 24 are insuring their vehicles for this type of risk, i mean the premiums must be in excess of £2000 or more likely £3000 a year.

Its all down to choosing the right insurance company..

I'm 20, with 6 points, on a SWB Transit, insured as full business use, as a DJ, costs £1188 - now bear in mind, its the first policy in my own name, so i don't have any no claims - that ain't half bad.

Insured with Quinn Direct by the way. Confused has only ever given me stupid quotes of over £2.5k...

Also, i doubt anyone who doesn't declare business use would be stupid enough to admit it on a public forum.. although if they're stupid enough to drive without insurance (which is essentially what it is) then who knows...

Revolution Discos - Covering Midlands and the Cotswolds - 01386 898 113 - 07791 261 263

Im covered with direct line for business use and they know what I do ! ive got a volvo v40 estate thats more like a van !

Scotty

KING OF DISCOS

We're what parties were invented for !

MySpace

'If anyone here hasnt enjoyed themselves this evening would you kindly raise your arm........, and slap yourself around the chops'