Dj's United

Looking Forward To The Smoking Ban

If all these people who hate smoking are all of a sudden going to start coming out and drinking in pubs again, why has this not been the case in Scotland where a third of the pub staff have lost there jobs because of the drop in trade??

So many nice little pubs around this country are going to disappear because of lack of customers

:rant:

So their has been a drop in trade in Scotland? Are their any figuires available on this yet?

I bet landlords in England are crapping their pants over it.

Well I can understand that, people that smoke are just gonna pop to the off licence on their way home, grab some booze (which is cheaper than a pub anyway)/.......and go and sit at home and drink and smoke themselfs stupid if they want too......

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

massive difference!!

the kids dont meooowwwwwwww

and the kids dont have 4 legs and a bushy tail

and the kids arnt sly and smelly (well mine arn't most of the time haha)

anyway my neighbours cat ripps open my bin bags.....eats the left over crap that we dont eat......pixxes all over the place.......jumps off 40ft roofs......fights at night with all the other cats round the neighbourhood......scratches me everytime I say here puss puss......and worst of all looks at me like i am a piece of crap!

So sorry puss puss, but if you have to put up with a bit of smoke

Tough!!!! lol

Animals, depsite your lack of understnading will suffer the same fate of others breathing in your fumes.But you don't care?

I know alot of adults who fit into paragraph 1 above!!!

Anyway interesting discussion as always on this point.

Someone told me in scotland they are thinking about extending the ban in public as well ie the street. Bring it on.

Just scanning through the posts on this topic, I really can't beleive that there are people who still think this is a bad thing. Have you considered that people may actually want to give up smoking, and may appreciate a smoke free environment? These venues which think it's the end for them have obviously not been able to think outside the box and diversify.

Let's take an example. There is one pub in Horsham which went smoke free a few years ago. Guess what? Yes, they are the busiest pub in Horsham, always full every day of the week, whilst the others sadly moan. And yes, I for one will not go into a smoky pub for the same reason I would not go into a pub where people urinate on my clothes or make me breathe toxins. More fool you if you do.

I've really had enough of hearing people naively moaning about the govt doing this.... How can you possibly believe that it's wrong???

GET REAL

I congratulate the govt. for their action at last.

PS If you are a smoker, I understand how difficult this nasty addiction is to kick, but please please do it. It will change your life for the better, and those around you will also benefit.

It's all very well for people to say.... let the landlord decide but we don't all live in cities or large towns. What about people who live in small towns, villages, hamlets etc. that maybe only have 2, 6 or 10 pubs max. If the landlords smoke and many seem to, then the pub will go 'smoker'. So where does that leave non smokers and please don't say OUTSIDE!

For 13 years I lived in a village with ONE boozer, it was hell, smoke, smoke, smoke...

http://planetsmilies.net/smoking-smiley-5409.gif http://planetsmilies.net/smoking-smiley-5445.gif http://planetsmilies.net/smoking-smiley-5437.gif http://planetsmilies.net/smoking-smiley-5434.gif

I once read about the evils of heavy drinking ................ so I've stopped reading

COPYWIGHT: Elmer Fudd 1956, All wights wesewved.

So their has been a drop in trade in Scotland? Are their any figuires available on this yet?

There was a report in the national papers about how trouble free (and customer free) the ban in Scotland was going...

Less pubs = Less DJ work (well for me anyway)

And the Govt are going to spend millions of pounds to pay for people to spy and take photos of people having a fag...What a waste of public money!! :rant:

http://thatsentertainment.webeden.co.uk

Dj's and Discos for all your needs

PLI & PAT covered

Est. 1988

Apart from the ovious NHS cost of treatment to smokers and passive smokers, I wonder what the financial burden to the taxpayer really is... - OH Hang on, I forgot! The govt also get revenue from fags ho ho ho! That's all OK then, carry on!

Apart from the ovious NHS cost of treatment to smokers and passive smokers, I wonder what the financial burden to the taxpayer really is... - OH Hang on, I forgot! The govt also get revenue from fags ho ho ho! That's all OK then, carry on!

Oh yes......and dont forget that the revenue that the goverment get from robbing smokers easily pays for anything smoke related regaurding NHS treatments......so what happens when all these people pack up smoking like the "goverment" claim they want us too?

More tax on other things, they are going to have to recoup the money lost from somewhere, which means non-smokers that YOU are gonna have to take a bigger share of the tax burden.

And where are they going to get all the extra cash from for the "smoking spys"?

And that is "thinking outside the box".....I really dont think they have thought this through, funny how the only pub in britain where you will be allowed to smoke is the house of commons bar, yet another example of one rule for them and another for us.

And as for stopping people smoking in the street, dont even go their.......you whingers cant claim your at risk from passive smoking outside........so at least leave us with somewhere to enjoy our smoking.

Appart from which they will NEVER be able to enforce stopping people from smoking outside.

Animals, depsite your lack of understnading will suffer the same fate of others breathing in your fumes.But you don't care?

I know alot of adults who fit into paragraph 1 above!!!

Come on.......this was all light hearted, of course I care about animals and children and passive smokers...I wudn't force my fag smoke on anybody

However I stll say that the government have no right to say what you can and cant do...when there are choices, ie non smoking and smoking pubs or places...giving people the choice

Come on.......this was all light hearted, of course I care about animals and children and passive smokers...I wudn't force my fag smoke on anybody

However I stll say that the government have no right to say what you can and cant do...when there are choices, ie non smoking and smoking pubs or places...giving people the choice

I thought you were Jeff!

Massive massive change though for people.

Another Report in the papers today in the Mirror and the sun

DROOP IN PUBS

10/05/2007

More City

PUB chain JD Wetherspoon saw more than £66million wiped off its share price after giving a profit warning.

The firm's shares tumbled six per cent after revealing it would make less money due to the smoking ban, which becomes law on July 1.

It is splashing out on new decor for many of its 670 pubs, including "smoking havens" - covered booths where smokers can shelter from the elements.

Advertisement

"We don't want smokers to have to huddle under umbrellas," said spokesman Eddie Gershon. "We want them to have a haven where they can go."

This was one of the points i was making that the people who have brought in the ban never go to pubs/bars and that even the pub companys know there is not going to be a big rush of new customers suddenly arriving at the door when the ban kicks in

http://thatsentertainment.webeden.co.uk

Dj's and Discos for all your needs

PLI & PAT covered

Est. 1988

I thought you were Jeff!

No Im not....I only smoke in smoking aloud places or outside

How can I force smoke on somebody giving them "no choice" to breath it in....if im smoking in a smoking section of a pub? or outside? If a non smoker was that worried or bothered...they would surely leave and go into the non smoking part? or leave and go to a non smoking pub?

their choice, and i would respect that

This was one of the points i was making that the people who have brought in the ban never go to pubs/bars and that even the pub companys know there is not going to be a big rush of new customers suddenly arriving at the door when the ban kicks in

Too true pal, it will force some pubs to close I have no dought.

My Pub Residency is installing a smoking haven tongue out icon

The manager was telling me all about it the other day, even showed me a pic of it.....

It resembles a bus shelter, but never mind.

I did warn him it would cause problems though, its gonna be mobbed by the blue rinse brigade wanting the no.8 bus into the town! They will all be standing thier moaning coz thier bus aint turned up! LOL

I suspect that alot of pubs will increase their business, because quite simply alot of people like going to pubs but don't like the stink of fag smoke other their clothes

I think that some 'traditional pubs' will close. But if that saves lives that is a a price worth paying without doubt.

But we elect governments to make choices for us...

This they should not be able to stop me doing what I like line is very stupid IMHO..

I have a top of the range BMW say, and it can do 170 MPH why should anyone tell me not to go that fast on any road in the country. Yes even past primary schools at 3pm in the afternoon (same as the analogie of being told not to smoke)... Because I its bad (or unsafe)for you 2 its bad (or unsafe) for them and 3 if it was not made law some idiots would do it (and even when it is law some idiots still do it hence fines and prison)...

Nik

My Pub Residency is installing a smoking haven tongue out icon

Isnt it a shame they never instaled a no smoking Haven in the past then they might not be in this situation now tongue out icon

Nik

I think that some 'traditional pubs' will close. But if that saves lives that is a a price worth paying without doubt.

100% agree much better to loose a gig than a life.

Nik

A couple of points:

1/ Most barstaff I have worked with smoke

2/ The Spanish have the right idea, they brought in no smoking laws, and then some of the bar owners applied for a exemption, alllowing them to put a notice up..this is a smoking or no smoking bar/restaurant/nightclub..that's real choice.

3/ Although the smoking ban has been in force for a while in Ireland, most bars have built open air extensions which allows smokers to smoke...

While meanwhile in England, the councils are going to be in charge of enforcing the smoking ban..ummm methinks lots of overtime...and do you have to appoint a no smoking diversity officer as well...?

A couple of points:

1/ Most barstaff I have worked with smoke

2/ The Spanish have the right idea, they brought in no smoking laws, and then some of the bar owners applied for a exemption, alllowing them to put a notice up..this is a smoking or no smoking bar/restaurant/nightclub..that's real choice.

3/ Although the smoking ban has been in force for a while in Ireland, most bars have built open air extensions which allows smokers to smoke...

While meanwhile in England, the councils are going to be in charge of enforcing the smoking ban..ummm methinks lots of overtime...and do you have to appoint a no smoking diversity officer as well...?

Another point most garage roofs were made of asbestos a few years ago it was then found to be harmfull and was banned.. Maybe we should have been given the choice there also????

Nik

I suspect that alot of pubs will increase their business, because quite simply alot of people like going to pubs but don't like the stink of fag smoke other their clothes

I think your living in cloud cuckoo land if you honestly think that this ban is going to have such a massive impact on saving lives.

The only big impact its gonna have is people loosing their jobs because the pub they work at is now closing because all the regular customers are now staying at home and enjoying themselfs.

And as for the increase in business........not a chance.......try observing in a currently smoking pub and have a look at how many people are smokers and how many are non-smokers......Certainly in this area and from my own observations the vast majority are smokers.

I think your living in cloud cuckoo land if you honestly think that this ban is going to have such a massive impact on saving lives.

The only big impact its gonna have is people loosing their jobs because the pub they work at is now closing because all the regular customers are now staying at home and enjoying themselfs.

total Rubbish. Less people breathing in less harmfull fumes that kill equals saved lives

And as for the increase in business........not a chance.......try observing in a currently smoking pub and have a look at how many people are smokers and how many are non-smokers......Certainly in this area and from my own observations the vast majority are smokers.

Thats because untill soon non smokers have stayed away due to the foul smelling discusting poluting :poo: thats being emited by people who claim its their right to do this... Untill now, the non smoker has had no right in venues and now the balance is changing. Smokers dont like it, well Tough :poo: its happening and the sooner the better IMHO...

Nik

Whilst this of course is beneficial from some points of view, I wonder where the tax revenue loss from fewer smokers and less cigarette consumption is going to be recovered from?.

Higher fuel tax - the £1.10p litre?

More duty on beer?

A new entertainment licence?

An increase of VAT from 5% to ?% on heating bills / utilities?

Higher overall VAT Rates, Higher Taxation etc

You can bet your life that the venue air may be cleaner, but we'll all end up footing the tax bill and you can look forward to making up the shortfall - smokers and non smokers, meekly united in lifes great taxation!!. Smote it be!

I wonder where the tax revenue loss from fewer smokers and less cigarette consumption is going to be recovered from?.

When the 'air tax' is converted from the congestion charge idea! :hide:

Another point most garage roofs were made of asbestos a few years ago it was then found to be harmfull and was banned.. Maybe we should have been given the choice there also????

Nik

Whats that got to do with it?

That is a totally different kettle of fish

Rightly they have banned asbestos...after realising the dangers on health

However smoking is a personal choice, and as long as there is areas that are designated "smoking only" and "non-smoking only" whats the problem?

How can a smoker be ruining your life if they are in a designated smoking area?

You wont be in that area....will you?

So how else is the polloution going to affect you? If your not there to breath it in?

I am 100 percent against smokers who force their smoke on anybody else, but with the right balance and laws, it can be easily managed in N-S and S environments/places/pubs etc

And as for polloution disgusting and all that.......how about jeeps and 4x4's and diesel fumes pouring out of the traffic we see banging up and down the roads.............how about the airplanes that drop tons of it into the atmosphere...........how about the drunks that have had "pound for pound" 20 times more drugs in them than a smoker ie by drinking alcohol?...........or how about the money they cost the NHS every year and police and organisations such as "battered wives association" and suchlike

Smoking is bad full stop, I think were all agreed on this.....but to take peoples choice away is wrong, when as said above, can be sorted with the right laws like mentioned above, or special licences granting a smoking venue only etc

Like I said before, the Government have made a little slip up where they could have introduced further measures without the need of over investing £29+million pounds in training council workers to spot someone smoking and administrating individual fines.

Since the ban was introduced in Wales, apparently only 25 cases have been actioned (to date) so value for money there then :rolleyes:

I'm sure we could ping pong all day about freedom of choice, individuals rights being taken away, health, wealth and right and wrong.....but the soon to be introduced law will be effective and that is that.

Some business's will flourish, some will go down the pan.

We can either accept, adapt and get over it as peasants or make our millions and move on!

:bouncy:

What a stupid response.

Do you know that in Scotland 25% of all deaths relate to smoking. Do you have alternative figures. What do you base your first statement on- nothing but sour grapes.

If the ban saved one life it would be worth it instead of idiots who only care about their right to inflict harm upon others.

Turning to increase in business. It's a fact that some pubs have increased their trade.If some close and in the long term lives are saved, then that's a good deal.

You can't put a price on 1 life.

What a stupid response.

Do you know that in Scotland 25% of all deaths relate to smoking. Do you have alternative figures. What do you base your first statement on- nothing but sour grapes.

If the ban saved one life it would be worth it instead of idiots who only care about their right to inflict harm upon others.

Turning to increase in business. It's a fact that some pubs have increased their trade.If some close and in the long term lives are saved, then that's a good deal.

You can't put a price on 1 life.

I have to disagree, its not a stupid response, its an opinion!

I think that were all going round in circles, Lets just sit back, and watch our trade disapear!

I did a party the other week in a non smoking venue, they have introduced it early as the brewery requested it, and throughout the night people were complaining about it, and kept going out for a fag,

I think this thread really needs to be locked as comments like "stupid response" and others suggesting that us smokers inflict harm on others is out of line and wrong!

I dont like alot of things in life but theres 2 hopes of the goverment introducing a ban on them!

I dont like it when a 70 year old bloke gets beaten up outside a local shop for all of £15!!!

the shop keeper interveined and stopped the lad and detained him till the police arrived, The lad got off scot free, BUT THE SHOP KEEPER GOT ARRESTED AND CAUTIONED!

A request to a MOD - LOCK THIS THREAD ITS GETTING OUT OF HAND!!!!!